Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been searching on here daily now for a week as well as other car forums and the internet in general. I see people say wrap the exhaust in key areas for a deeper tone. Now this won't give you a bunch of hp, but that's ok. I just want a deeper but not much louder tone. (Solo with factory 2nd cat forwards).
Ok, so I see that wrapping the exhaust leads to the pipe staying hotter and longer and some exhaust companies void your warranty stating abuse. Also seen that this can and does hold moisture and dirt and promotes rusting??
I was about to wrap the resonators on my Solo exhaust, guessing that's where to wrap is since I haven't found an answer saying exactly where to wrap.
What are your guys (and gals) experience with wrapping and where did you apply it? Did it make it deeper tone, or not what you expected? Good or bad?
Any thoughts on so called abuse and premature failure with a wrap?
I seen on here some one have a header break because the shop told him the wrap caused hot spots and weakened it.
Idk... thoughts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know im not offering much help so just giving my two cents.

I have never heard about this and sounds like your going to cause more issues then solve. I would highly recommend looking for a different exhaust system to get the deeper noise your looking for or just live with what you have.

I have heat wraped my tomei heads on my subaru before, but have not heard or seen anyone do this with exhaust to deepen the noise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hugely popular, even on this site. DEI tape. I haven't found a thread stating exactly where it / what to wrap. I'm assuming the resonators.
The exhaust I have is dam near perfect . I just would like a little more tone.
As far the the extra wear and tear from wrapping, I would like to see those whom done this and get their opinions.
Thanks for the reply..

Reactions: Matteo705

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I been searching on here daily now for a week as well as other car forums and the internet in general. I see people say wrap the exhaust in key areas for a deeper tone. Now this won't give you a bunch of hp, but that's ok. I just want a deeper but not much louder tone. (Solo with factory 2nd cat forwards).
Ok, so I see that wrapping the exhaust leads to the pipe staying hotter and longer and some exhaust companies void your warranty stating abuse. Also seen that this can and does hold moisture and dirt and promotes rusting??
I was about to wrap the resonators on my Solo exhaust, guessing that's where to wrap is since I haven't found an answer saying exactly where to wrap.
What are your guys (and gals) experience with wrapping and where did you apply it? Did it make it deeper tone, or not what you expected? Good or bad?
Any thoughts on so called abuse and premature failure with a wrap?
I seen on here some one have a header break because the shop told him the wrap caused hot spots and weakened it.
Idk... thoughts?

I also have solo exhaust and only wrapped my headers to cut down on the raspy ping noise they would have cause if I didn't wrap them. I use DEI titanium wrap with high temp silicone spray. If I was to wrap any more of my exhaust it would be the downpipe and test pipes but not any further back. If your running stock down pipes and secondary cats, then there is nothing to wrap as those components keep the deep tone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am stock headers/downpipe and all 4 cats. Maryland has emissions every 2 years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes I am stock headers/downpipe and all 4 cats. Maryland has emissions every 2 years.
In that case there isn't really anything for you to wrap. I would look into a different exhaust if your looking for a different tone but I must say solo fits so perfect and sounds great to me and zero drone even with my headers and no cats. I wouldn't trade my solo for any other unless I was to do a custom single exit to squeeze out more power. Hope I was helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same here. Love the exhaust. Just a personal preference for a tone or two deeper. I'll see how the sound changes after this weekend. Have a few parts to put on on the front side of the engiine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same here. Love the exhaust. Just a personal preference for a tone or two deeper. I'll see how the sound changes after this weekend. Have a few parts to put on on the front side of the engiine.
You could get a set of test pipes and wrap them. That will definitely give it a bit more bit in sound and should keep the tone when wrapped. I don't think it will effect emissions test but i'm not sure cuz I live in Florida and don't have to deal with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not a bad idea I will have to research some on it. Thanks for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts