Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

We frequently see questions regarding TPMS rebuild kits so we decided to put this post together to help answer some of those questions.

First, a brief overview on the two types of TPMS systems (indirect and direct) that are found on today's TPMS equipped vehicles.

Indirect TPMS

• An indirect TPMS system measures tire pressure from the rate of tire revolution via the wheel speed sensors that the anti-lock brake system uses.
Direct TPMS

• A direct TPMS system utilizes a pressure monitoring sensor within each tire/ wheel assembly that transmits tire pressure to the TPMS control module. It is this system, which is also the most common, that need TPMS rebuild kits.

What is a TPMS rebuild kit?

A TPMS rebuild kit contains all of the necessary components to rebuild the valve portion of the TPMS sensor of either a metal or rubber sensor. The actual sensor portion is not serviceable and goes untouched.

What's the difference between a metal sensor and a rubber sensor?

The difference is the type of valve used. Metal sensors utilize a rubber grommet and retaining nut as well as a rubber seal on the valve core. A rubber sensor utilizes a rubber valve stem and a rubber seal on the valve core. Here's a picture to better illustrate:

What is the difference between a metal sensor and a rubber sensor rebuild kit?

The difference is the included valve components. Here's an exploded view to illustrate:

When do I need to purchase a rebuild kit?

Rebuilding the valve portion of the TPMS sensor ensures an air tight seal and reduces the chance of early sensor replacement due to normal wear or corrosion. We recommend a new rebuild kit anytime the sensor is removed from the wheel and when signs of wear or corrosion are present.

What does a TPMS rebuild kit cost?

Prices range anywhere from $3.00 to $14.00 depending on the manufacturer and type of sensor. TPMS rebuild kits are sold per sensor (4 sensors would need 4 rebuild kits).

How do I know which rebuild kit I need for my vehicle?

To determine which rebuild kit is correct for your vehicle, you'll need to look at the valve stem that's currently installed. If it's rubber, you'll need the rubber valve stem rebuild kit. If it's metal, you'll need the metal one.

We hope this information provides you with the knowledge necessary to keep your TPMS sensors functional and your vehicle running safe down the road. If you have further questions regarding TPMS rebuild kits, feel free to ask them here or contact your local Discount Tire.

For more information on TPMS and other tire and wheel related topics, please visit our Information Center.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I have a random question then for this.

How come discount tire cant re-program TPMS sensors for the Evo X when installing aftermarket wheels and TPMS. Even though whenever I go there they tell me they can? lol.

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts

How come discount tire cant re-program TPMS sensors for the Evo X when installing aftermarket wheels and TPMS. Even though whenever I go there they tell me they can? lol.
Not to rag on DT as a whole, but the local DT shops are full of morons who are most interested in up-selling. They also like to damage wheels and forget to reset TPMS after doing a rotation you didn't ask for.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm not sure why you've run into that. We have the procedures and necessary equipment to perform the reset. If you run into this again, speak with the store manager. We have tech support available to our stores for any TPMS issues they run into. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Not to rag on DT as a whole, but the local DT shops are full of morons who are most interested in up-selling. They also like to damage wheels and forget to reset TPMS after doing a rotation you didn't ask for.
We apologize for your previous experiences, titan. When issues like this come up it's best to speak with the store manager so the situation is handled immediately. We pride ourselves on the level of service we provide and never want any of our customer leaving unsatisfied. If we can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to shoot us a PM.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
better yet take that crap out your tire who needs a light to say hey your tire is low. bye bye TPMS
right... and then have to deal with the light that says your TPMS isn't working lol.

DT. my post was just a genuine question. I know you say you have all the procedures, tech support and all that. But they just cant... We now even have a guy on the Evo forums that re-programs them for a cost. Purely for the fact that no-one else BUT the dealership can do it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right... and then have to deal with the light that says your TPMS isn't working lol.

DT. my post was just a genuine question. I know you say you have all the procedures, tech support and all that. But they just cant... We now even have a guy on the Evo forums that re-programs them for a cost. Purely for the fact that no-one else BUT the dealership can do it.
My answer was genuine as well :)

I'm not aware of any TPMS Technical-Bulletins for the EVO. According to our information, the system only needs to be reset when new sensors are installed. When new sensors are installed, the sensors are scanned and then new sensor ID's are written to the computer. If the sensors ID's were not enter/ recognized, a code will be thrown reflecting that.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
My answer was genuine as well :)

I'm not aware of any TPMS Technical-Bulletins for the EVO. According to our information, the system only needs to be reset when new sensors are installed. When new sensors are installed, the sensors are scanned and then new sensor ID's are written to the computer. If the sensors ID's were not enter/ recognized, a code will be thrown reflecting that.
fair enough. I think next time im at Discount for tires or whatever I will try this again.

I honestly don't know why it never works.. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the car is tuned or what. WHO KNOWS!!! lol.

Thanks for the answers anyway bud!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fair enough. I think next time im at Discount for tires or whatever I will try this again.

I honestly don't know why it never works.. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the car is tuned or what. WHO KNOWS!!! lol.

Thanks for the answers anyway bud!
Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance. From what I can tell on my end though, it should be an easy reset. Speak with the store manager if you run into problems in the future.

Thank you for your continued support!

·
Blue By You
325 Posts
Can the Coupe sensors be programmed for a '14 Nissan Altima?

·
Mature Speeder
717 Posts
If one of my sensors go bad Hyundai will handle it.

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
Went to lookup tire prices from DT and the TPMS rebuild kit was automatically added to my order. Why? Do we need this kit?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to lookup tire prices from DT and the TPMS rebuild kit was automatically added to my order. Why? Do we need this kit?
The TPMS rebuild kit will auto populate when tires are added to the cart. You can remove them, however, rebuilding the valve portion of the TPMS sensor ensures an air tight seal and reduces the chance of early sensor replacement due to normal wear or corrosion. We recommend a new rebuild kit anytime the sensor is removed from the wheel and when signs of wear or corrosion are present.

·
Mature Speeder
717 Posts
I have been through 3 sets of tires and have not needed a TPMS rebuild kit yet. No leaks and everything works properly at 80k miles.

I have done all my tire purchases at Discount Tire and they suggested the TPMS kit each time. I say no.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts