Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
3point8 Performance
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice video!

If you change anything on your setup, I would recommend not using all season tires, I'm sure they held you back compared to summer tires. Even more narrow grippier compound tires will do better than wide all seasons, I think. Looks like a lot of fun!
if that's true then I suck even more haha :grin:

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
@titan2782 What sizes are you thinking for a 18" track day wheel and tire setup?

I would like to do 18x9.5 +20 to +25 on 265/35/18 all around but I'm afraid of clearance issues up front while being slightly lowered (just enough to close the majority of the tire to fender gap). Perhaps with a set of adjustable arms and camber bolts up front I could make them fit? Or perhaps it's the inside of the wheel/tire to strut clearance is what I should be worried about instead of fender clearance.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
If you change anything on your setup, I would recommend not using all season tires,...
No question there. This was just kind of see if I like it, while taking my guests from Germany to do something they don't get to do at home. The A/S tires a relatively sticky as evidenced by the lateral Gs I'm pulling in the flat infield turns, but they don't like heat and I hammered the crap out the right front in that last session.

I'm looking for dedicated track tires for the next event. The candidates are Toyo R888, Maxxis Victra VR1 or RC-1. The RC-1 looks like an awesome track only tire, and you can't beat the price, but size availability is limited. 18s are available in 235/40, 265/35 and 275/35. Both the R888 and VR1 have a good range of sizes for both 18 an 19 inch wheels. A lot of the other dry competition tires don't have the weight ratings to support our cars.

Of course I could always rotate the A/Ss and run them one more time to even out the wear. :grin:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Being new to something isn't the same as sucking.
Hear, hear. You're much better off being cautious and getting to know your car, then to end up bending your beloved DD. The speed will come with experience.

I have an office in Lake Arrowhead, so I run San Bernardino to Lake Arrowhead and back at least 100 times a year. I don't speed much, but I don't slow down for the corners much either, so I know my car and it's cornering characteristics pretty darn well.

When I called the Mustang guy an idiot, it wasn't because he was slow, but because he was terrible, while trying to be fast. Best I could tell he didn't attend any driver's meeting, except for maybe the first. He passed the lead follow instructor in the second session (no passing allowed), and then nearly lost it in the following turn. Put two wheels in the dirt on couple of occasions while in front of me, etc.

I have no idea why they didn't black flag him or kick him out. To top it off, he had a LAPD call sign license plate surround, so I wasn't expecting much anyway.

·
epic lulz
1,211 Posts
You Californians have some fun tracks and the best weather. If you're new, the best thing to do is stay in your own lane...metaphorically speaking. Don't worry about the other guys in faster cars. There will always be someone faster than you.

Tires are one of the best upgrades you can do, along with brake fluid and lines. Pads are a personal preference, but generally you want to avoid going too aggressive as it will be harder to modulate off the brakes going into a corner, essentially having brakes like an on/off switch.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here...... "Someday" I will finally get out there and run a track or two.... I am always jealous of your guys talking about it, but I have been a sponge non the less ;) Once my two damn 19 yr. Old boys get out the house I will be able to drop some $$ to finally get out there!

Anyway I'm pricing everything and one thing I am curious about is Insurance. Like if I wreck (God forbid I tangle with a new vette or something) or some other dooey wrecks me..... I mean it is racing and stuff just happens right? What are all u guys doing to cover your A$$ and your car's? And how much you paying for all that? Just curious..... Feel free to carry on lolz

·
3point8 Performance
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have an office in Lake Arrowhead, so I run San Bernardino to Lake Arrowhead and back at least 100 times a year. I don't speed much, but I don't slow down for the corners much either, so I know my car and it's cornering characteristics pretty darn well.
haha, i usually go up the 18 through crestline. I have a cabin in the VOE and I used to haul ass up there. They added that stupid guard rail and now it's sketchy, so unless it's late and empty so I can use both lanes, I just enjoy the scenery.

You Californians have some fun tracks and the best weather. If you're new, the best thing to do is stay in your own lane...metaphorically speaking. Don't worry about the other guys in faster cars. There will always be someone faster than you.

Tires are one of the best upgrades you can do, along with brake fluid and lines. Pads are a personal preference, but generally you want to avoid going too aggressive as it will be harder to modulate off the brakes going into a corner, essentially having brakes like an on/off switch.
Agreed. Factory brake fluid and lines just can't handle the heat.

Just wanted to chime in here...... "Someday" I will finally get out there and run a track or two.... I am always jealous of your guys talking about it, but I have been a sponge non the less ;) Once my two damn 19 yr. Old boys get out the house I will be able to drop some $$ to finally get out there!

Anyway I'm pricing everything and one thing I am curious about is Insurance. Like if I wreck (God forbid I tangle with a new vette or something) or some other dooey wrecks me..... I mean it is racing and stuff just happens right? What are all u guys doing to cover your A$$ and your car's? And how much you paying for all that? Just curious..... Feel free to carry on lolz
There is supposedly "track day" insurance, but i haven't seen it offered anywhere. Basically you just get a policy for the day. You should come out man. You really don't need to upgrade the car at all to have fun. You won't set any records, but you'll have a blast! @Shingo said it best, you don't need upgrades until you get good. I didn't understand that before I started, now I understand it perfectly :D

As far as covering your ass, I'm just hoping i don't lose it. Last track day a built miata (maybe an s2000) got rear ended somehow and he had to be towed home. But you see people out there day 2 of owning a car. First track day I was talking to a guy who just leased a new challenger, still had paper plates. LAst track day there was a brand new Mustang GT350R with paper plates and then a few camaros, too.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Lolz just hoping you don't lose it.... That was reassuring hahaha.... Yes you are right I need to get out there dammit!. My approach is just making sure the car is planted, brakes are solid and tires (the only thing that actually touches the road) are gonna keep me on the road ;) I won't be adding anything more powerwise until I have mastered this car as is. I actually think the thing is pretty much perfect with power... I mean I spin 3rd so it's gotta some kick to it :)

And while we are talking about fun roads to run...... You even run the Ortega hwy????? I commuted that road every day for 5 years and had a blast everyday! Unless a dude on a bike or a jackalope in a pickup wrecked. Then it sucked monkey balls bad just stuck for hours hahahah.

Still curious on the insurace stuff though, will snoop around the interweb a little ;) take care of that black gen dude, no scratches!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Will do thanks for the link!

·
2013 3.8 Track
381 Posts

Here's the insurance everyone I know uses (including me). https://locktonmotorsports.com
It adds to the price of track days for sure, but it lets you have peace of mind. Also, you tell them how much you want to insure it for, rather than blue book. So, for me I set the value at what it would cost for me to go out and buy a brand new Gen Coupe plus mods.
One important note: the insurance is per event, not per day. So, you're much better off doing 2 day events as it will be cheaper in the long run. Costs a couple hundred bucks (ouch, I know) if you do it like I do with replacement value. You can get discounts by being a member of organizations like SCCA.
Usually tracks make you sign a waiver when you enter the property, so even if someone hits you and it's their fault, they do NOT have to pay to fix your car. On the other hand, if you wreck someone's Ferrari, it's on them to fix their own.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here...... "Someday" I will finally get out there and run a track or two.... I am always jealous of your guys talking about it, but I have been a sponge non the less
Once my two damn 19 yr. Old boys get out the house I will be able to drop some $$ to finally get out there!

Here's the insurance everyone I know uses (including me). https://locktonmotorsports.com
It adds to the price of track days for sure, but it lets you have peace of mind. Also, you tell them how much you want to insure it for, rather than blue book. So, for me I set the value at what it would cost for me to go out and buy a brand new Gen Coupe plus mods.
One important note: the insurance is per event, not per day. So, you're much better off doing 2 day events as it will be cheaper in the long run. Costs a couple hundred bucks (ouch, I know) if you do it like I do with replacement value. You can get discounts by being a member of organizations like SCCA.
Usually tracks make you sign a waiver when you enter the property, so even if someone hits you and it's their fault, they do NOT have to pay to fix your car. On the other hand, if you wreck someone's Ferrari, it's on them to fix their own.
Perfect! Thanks... Good info just to add to the thread!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts