Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 ultimate with 10K miles on it. Going to Portland International Raceway for a day of racing school, so will get a lot of track time with an instructor. Want to go with good tires that will then be used for daily driving in Oregon. I am leaning towards the Firehawk Indy 500 tires. Looking for a tire that will let me have a lot of fun at the track for at least 1 day, but not have to be replaced in 5000 miles lol. Experiences? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh man, you really lucked out on your timing. One of the best, most cost-effective street/track tires on the market just got a massive upgrade from the manufacturer with only a tiny price increase.

The Continental Extreme Contact DW has been a go-to sports-car tire for many years now. It has been well loved for its great mix of durability, healthy dry grip, predictable breakaway characteristics, ferocious wet grip, and a surprising amount of ride comfort. It was consistently a great performer on many different cars while being substantially cheaper than top-shelf tire options from the likes of Michelin and Pirelli.

Just a couple months ago though, Continental ended production of the Extreme Contact DW and replaced it with the new Extreme Contact Sport. The new formulation is superior in every way, and has elevated the tire's performance up to the level of the legendary Michelin Pilot Sport. One of the biggest improvements on the new continental tire is durability, yet the old tire was known for lasting a long time already.

We ran the old Extreme Contact DW on Project Hoondy, a 2010 GenCoupe 3.8 M/T and have nothing but good things to say about them. They repeatedly took a beating over 35,000 miles of use and even held up strong against our ridiculous CUSCO 1.5-way clutch-type locking differential. They finally met their demise over Memorial Day Weekend at the 2017 PPIR Into Thin Air drift party, where they held together through multiple drift practice sessions. Even when we melted them down to the belts they still refused to pop. Skip to 5:00 for tire carnage:

Needless to say, we're big fans of Continental Tires over at Project Hoondy and we've replaced the dead DWs with the new Extreme Contact Sports. We've not had enough time to really test the new tires, but the race-car super-nerds over at MotoIQ have given Continental's new tire a thorough evaluation. They absolutely thrashed on the things with a heavy, powerful 2016 Mustang GT. The tires held up incredibly well, much better than the old DWs, while also delivering drastically increased performance:

TESTED: Continental Tire ExtremeContact Sport

The Continental Extreme Contact is now nearly at parity with the Michelin Pilot Sport while still being much cheaper and having better wet-weather grip. It has a ton of brand-new, freshly-developed technology baked into it. It's more advanced and a better value than anything else even close to its price point. Firehawk Indy 500's couldn't hope to hold a candle to these cutting-edge German-developed meats. Anyone looking for a long-lasting high-performance street tire that is good for track-day hot-laps should be taking a long, hard look at the Extreme Contact Sport.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Says the Extreme Contact Sport isn't recommended fitment wise for my Ultimate. They don't offer the front in 225/40.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Damn! I forgot Continental is still rolling out their 19 inch sizes, availability isn't up to their full range of sizes yet. I keep forgetting that Track Pack/Ultimate GenCoupes run that joke 225R19 size on the front. Almost nobody makes a good tire in that size. Project Hoondy was a Grand Touring spec car and we're still running the original 18 inch wheels which have more sizing options for the Extreme Contact Sport right now.

Well, at least keep them in mind for your next go-around. Also, the Extreme Contact, both the old DW and new Sport, is a summer-only tire. If you were looking for an all-season performance tire Continental's DWS is avaliable in 19 inch GenCoupe Track Pack sizes:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires listed by size

If you did want a high-performance summer-only tire you're gonna be pretty damn low on options. There's always the Michelin Pilot Sport or the Bridgestone Potenza, but those are both really expensive $250+ tires. Also, the Potenzas have a pretty terrible treadwear rating of 140AA. They'll wear out quick. The Michelin Pilot Sports, of course, will strike a great balance between performance, durability, and ride comfort, and you can chose from a couple different compounds (Sport A/S 3, Super Sport, etc). However, they'll be the most expensive option by far.

The only other thing I can think of is the Nitto Invo, which is a pretty damn cool tire:

It's a fairly modern tire that was formulated just a couple of years ago. The Invo was designed specifically for cars with a staggered tire fitment just like the GenCoupe. They are a "three season" tire, being quite good in all conditions except snow.

Nitto is quite aggressive with their tire development in general due to their participation in Formula D. They don't have the wide size availability of Continental, but you can get them in the right sizes for your GenCoupe Ultimate. I would consider the Nitto Invo a less ideal and slightly more expensive choice than the Continental Extreme Contact Sport, but given your sizing limitations it's one of the best options you have.

The ideal solution, if you ask me, is to try and scrounge up another pair of OEM 19 inch GenCoupe rear wheels to put on the front of your car. Then you can run the wider 245R19 size on all four corners which will be much better for track-driving. The stock tire setup makes for "safer" handling that tends to understeer rather than oversteer at the limit. That's mostly done for chumps who don't know WTF they're doing in a powerful rear wheel drive car. Any driver who is even halfway sensible doesn't need the skinny front tires to stay safe.

Running this kind of "square" tire setup would open you up to much better tire options. It's that 225R19 size that's killing you, there's all kinds of good stuff avaliable in the 245R19 size such as the aforementioned Extreme Contact Sport or Nitto's more track-oriented NT555 G2.

Good luck and happy tuning!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for all of your information. Yea, I am finding that 225/40/19 is a bitch to find a good tire for lol. I am probably only doing the track day once so I don't want to spend a ton for new wheels and such and I had my stock ones powdercoated, so stock wouldn't match either for daily driver lol. The Indy 500's are a cheap option and Tire Rack shows them as an option for the front, but local tire place doesn't show it as an option. Nothing is easy!

Glenn

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ahh, well if you don't plan to repeatedly track the car then the Nitto Invos are a pretty great option. I called them "less ideal" because they are less track-oriented than some of the other options, but they'll be more than durable enough for a single track session and then will be an extremely nice street-car tire.

Good luck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After much research and due to availability, I went with KUMHO ECSTA PS91 XL. Tire shop mounted one backwards so have to get that corrected next week after the holiday. Thanks for everyone's help.

Glenn

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Track day was yesterday and OMG. Track was Portland International Raceway and is 1.9 miles with 12 turns, two of which are a tight hairpin 3/4 down the straight to keep speeds down. Was still able to hit 120, but then on the binders hard for about a 45 mph turn max. I got the tires to chirp a couple of times, but otherwise they were glued to the track, braking was amazing. On the road they are very quiet and much better than stock. Only had them on for a week or two so no wear report, but if you are thinking of tracking the car I wouldn't hesitate to get a set of these. I think the set was less than $600 from Tire Rack.

Glenn

·
Banned
1,099 Posts
I went with Firehawk Indy 500's. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck according to Tire Rack's testing reports.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with Firehawk Indy 500's. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck according to Tire Rack's testing reports.
That is what I was originally going to go for but no stock available for my 225 front size. Would like to try a set, but the ones I ended up with were comparable in price and i was 100% satisfied with their performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts