41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have 225/50 17 in for front and 225/55 17 in rear Blizzacks no problems

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
That sounds like a good choice and it keeps your TCS happy too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi. Actually, the details are in my garage. I went with a square setup of 215/55 R17 on Momo winter rims. Everything under $1k. I opted for the thinner tire so that I would get more pressure on the road in snow (P=F/A). The thin tires in the back make my tail a bit happy so to speak. Since I plod along on back roads during my commute the sensitive ECS is not a big problem. Next time I would likely do either 225 square or 215/225 staggered. This is a daily driver so regardless of road conditions I drive it. Winter tires make a huge difference in safety and handling.

BTW, born and raised in Western Washington.
I am Eastern Washington and also drive regardless of road conditions. I am not so worried about driving in the snow as I am making the car more dangerous to drive with a square setup with smaller rear tires. :p Too bad I can't fit 17's with the Brembos! Thanks for your response. I am still holding out hope to hear a response from those who say they've run square 225/40-19 winter tires.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
I am Eastern Washington and also drive regardless of road conditions. I am not so worried about driving in the snow as I am making the car more dangerous to drive with a square setup with smaller rear tires. :p Too bad I can't fit 17's with the Brembos! Thanks for your response. I am still holding out hope to hear a response from those who say they've run square 225/40-19 winter tires.
Narrower tires = Better in snow regardless of TCS working properly or not... your setup would probably carve through deep snow better than my fatter 18" setup :)

My neighbor runs on 305/30/19 winter tread on his 911 Turbo stock rims and he is able to get through nastier stuff than me (all hail AWD!)

·
Registered
591 Posts
@ conedamage why not 225/40 19in.. front and 225/45 19in. rear

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would have done that had I really thought hard about it...but when I found someone selling a brand new set if Blizzaks that normally cost $1,100+ for $600 I jumped on it. That's how I ended up with square 225/40-19. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just thought I would post an update for anyone else who may wonder the same thing as me: PepBoys mounted up my square 225/40-19 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 snow tires for me. They work great! The speedo is off by just 1 or 2 mph at most speeds, or approximately 2.3% verified by GPS.

I drove my car home 2,400 miles through some pretty nasty weather and did just fine. Traction control slaps my hands frequently if I step on it, but it works just fine with normal driving and if I turn off traction control; this seems consistent with what others have said.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Additionally, if you check the tire size and they are in their right places, please provide the following info to better assist us to help you:

Year/Engine/Tranny/Trim Level
Brand/Model of Tire Purchased and put on car

One thing I know is that new tires sometimes have a gloss of sheen to them that needs to wear off. While on the tire, it can make it slicker against the road surface causing TCS issues for a few other people that I have seen.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts