Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
^not very creative.
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have heard of others having their TC turn off randomly and you just turn off the car and turn it back on and it will be working fine. I've talked about it with a few people because it happens to my car too.

Well today, I was making a turn on to an open street with my TC on and it was slightly wet. I gave it a little extra gas to just slide a little plus TC is on so I don't expect it to slide much at all, however my TC decided to turn off at this time on it's own. I was sliding in first and was thinking this is odd it's not killing the power/helping me straighten out. Then I shift into 2nd and continue to slide then I slowed down and straightened out the car and realized my TC was off. Oh and my tires are pretty worn down...

Anyone else have theirs turn off in a similar situation? After this it's making me kind of nervous, what if my TC randomly turns off when I might actually need it?

·
301 whp
1,102 Posts
Might want to play it safe, and not try to slide on a residential street. Even though you say it was open you have no idea what may happen. Keep the antics for the track. If your TC is not reliable that is. Have never had mine turn off on it's own. But mine will allow a little bit of slide before it kicks in.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
The one time I had my TCS on in the rain I was merging onto a highway underneath an overpass, and nailed it - the tires spun all the way through 2nd with me feathering the throttle the whole time just keeping it going for shits & giggles. Finally shift to 3rd, and wham - cuts power.

No thanks.

·
^not very creative.
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might want to play it safe, and not try to slide on a residential street. Even though you say it was open you have no idea what may happen. Keep the antics for the track. If your TC is not reliable that is. Have never had mine turn off on it's own. But mine will allow a little bit of slide before it kicks in.
A lot of times it's not even on purpose when it slides in the rain, partial throttle and I can get wheel spin until TCS helps. I admit I was hoping for the back end to slide out this time, however my TCS just turned off so I don't think I'll be doing that again lol. Seems like this could be a big problem...

The one time I had my TCS on in the rain I was merging onto a highway underneath an overpass, and nailed it - the tires spun all the way through 2nd with me feathering the throttle the whole time just keeping it going for shits & giggles. Finally shift to 3rd, and wham - cuts power.

No thanks.
Yeah usually I can lose traction with TCS on but it will blink and help me gain traction again and usually pretty abruptly haha.

Hopefully the guys that have had their TCS turn off on it's own randomly can chime in here cause I know there were a few others that had this problem. Only way I can take it to Hyundai is if the TCS turns off then I drive like that without turning off my car to a dealership...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just had a similiar problem when it was raining. Took a left turn with a little gas and car ended up actually spinning 180 and traction control was blinking on and off.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
I just had a similiar problem when it was raining. Took a left turn with a little gas and car ended up actually spinning 180 and traction control was blinking on and off.
If the light was flashing the TC was working, you just took that turn so fast/hard the TC couldn't save you from it, plain and simple...

I had the car sideways with TC on, there's so much it can do really..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yea, I mean, the TC feature is NOT a "save all"...and really should not be soley relied upon as the saving grace if you're out there fooling around OR if trying to regain control after an unexpected highway event caused the car to lose traction. It's just an added feature that is to assist, not stop the inevitable from happening, because Driver Input is still required to getting the car back under control.

You could take it to your Dealer and see if there are any stored codes (even if the CEL is not on or flashing, there's the possibility there could be stored event codes). But then again, most of the Dealers will just say "we can't replicate the event or there's no CEL, everything's a-ok".... LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tsukuba coupe, My car has been doing the same thing ramdomly. Not just in the rain but anywhere. I can't find a reason to why, I'll just be driving down the road not even on the gas sometimes and it turns itself off. Its just started doing it in the past 3 months too. Was hoping someone else had an answer.....

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
Traction Control is not a free pass to drive like a retard. It doesn't allow you to turn faster, or harder. It's not a performance increase.

It's simply a tool to help get the car under control in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That is the weird part I do not drive like a retard. Max speed ever i go over is 5. Usually under. I took the corner like I would any turn and then I noticeably heard something different with the vehicle like it was stuck in gear almost.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
That is the weird part I do not drive like a retard. Max speed ever i go over is 5. Usually under. I took the corner like I would any turn and then I noticeably heard something different with the vehicle like it was stuck in gear almost.
If the car felt liek it was stuck in gear, it's because it was applying brakes to try and stop the slide, unless you clutched in, there's little you could do to prevent that.

Also driving 5 over or under is no way to gauge the proper speed at which you negotiate a turn man.

For example, I did a full 360* spin while driving @ ~9mph. The corner was crested and kinda sharp, the back end locked (LSD) and the sway from the gas in the tank did the rest.... I didn't even had the foot on the throttle, i was just lifting off the brakes and clutching out.

Also when you saw the car starting to slide, you should have steered into the slide (counter-steering) to help stabilize the car.

Anyways, at least you didn't hit anyone or anything...

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Last time at the track, the TC turned itself off on its own. I wanted to start with TC since I did not know the track and wanted to play it safe and later remove it. No need to remove it, it turned off at some point, with the TC off light on the dashboard. It is the first time it happens.
Since it was intervening quite a lot, notably in 2 sharp turns where I needed to re-accelerate I just thought that either it was a function of the ECU to disconnect it if it was coming on to often or that it was a malfunction. It came back on after restarting and I didn't try to turn it on while it was auto off on the track since I wanted it off anyway at that time.

It might be the same situation you have... Driving too hard in the rain, then it turns off because intervening too much for the ECU taste (pure speculation). Nevertheless, I agree with other comments. TC is here to help the "standard driver" keep control of their vehicle when they do something they should not do or in case of a sudden event happening. When it rains, up-shift and accelerate in a linear way, without flooring the car :) This is particularly valid with RWD if you don't want to be doing 360's all over the place or get into an accident.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts