Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for some reason my car's traction control light turns on when I try doing a pull in 3rd or 4th gear. Now I know it is not wheel spin because my car does not make enough hp to even spin 2nd gear (unless it rains). My guess is a senor has gone bad but which one? Or is there something else causing this issue? I do not want to keep turning off traction and stability control everytime I get in the car. Thank you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What size wheels and tires are you running? If you search across the forum the most common cause people run into is aftermarket wheels and tires setups. This is why few run square setups.

The traction control module expects a certain difference in wheel speed between the front and back as it comes staggered from the factory. If it detects wheels speeds aren't within parameter it will kick in. Most who have hit this issue report it at highway speeds (which seems to line up with 3rd and 4th).

If this is the case for you, there is no direct solution other than changing the wheel setup or keep traction control off.

With this in mind, you could also consider maybe one of the wheel speed sensors is faulty. Again they expect a certain percentage difference +/- a few to determine if spinning is happening. So if one sensor isn't reporting right might be throwing the system off.

Lastly consider tire wear. Its possible a setup worked with fresh tires and were within parameters, but over time wear made it skew. Kind of reaching on this one, but figured I'd mention it too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size wheels and tires are you running? If you search across the forum the most common cause people run into is aftermarket wheels and tires setups. This is why few run square setups.

The traction control module expects a certain difference in wheel speed between the front and back as it comes staggered from the factory. If it detects wheels speeds aren't within parameter it will kick in. Most who have hit this issue report it at highway speeds (which seems to line up with 3rd and 4th).

If this is the case for you, there is no direct solution other than changing the wheel setup or keep traction control off.

With this in mind, you could also consider maybe one of the wheel speed sensors is faulty. Again they expect a certain percentage difference +/- a few to determine if spinning is happening. So if one sensor isn't reporting right might be throwing the system off.

Lastly consider tire wear. Its possible a setup worked with fresh tires and were within parameters, but over time wear made it skew. Kind of reaching on this one, but figured I'd mention it too.
I am running a weird setup at the moment, now that you mention it. I have 18x9.5 on 235/40 for the rears and then the stock rims in the front. Only reason is cuz i debeaded on my old front setup so I went back to stock. The sensors might also be the issue... can I just buy a new sensor by itself, or do I need to buy a new hub that comes with a new sensor? Thanks again, this information helped a lot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your car won't spin the tires in 2nd gear? Sure it's not traction control that keeps it from spinning the tires?

Mine's a 2011 3.8 Trak. It makes maybe 30 hp more than the turbo 4? Mine will not spin the tires in 1st, 2nd, etc going straight or turning right. Turning left it will smoke the tires across three lanes of traffic. Done that twice (kept waiting on the traction control to kick in and stop it but it never did. Only when turning left.

I've had it (one time) try to break the tires loose at 80/85 mph in 3rd gear. Concrete interstate (joints every few feet). Had a passing lane camper that would barely crawl by the slower traffic in the left lane as he passed them and then hit the gas to quickly get to the next groups of traffic where he'd again slow down while passing. Put up with that twice and then used the Coupe to pass him in the right lane between the 2nd and 3rd group of slow lane cars. Hit 3rd gear just below 60 mph and kept my foot down. About 85 mph I noticed the traction control light going blink, blink, blink, blink and first thought something was wrong. Then noticed it blinked every time I crossed one of the joints in the concrete paving. That little bit of a bump was almost enough to make the back tires break loose - or the traction control was stopping the tires from breaking loose.

Seems like I read, years ago, the way to shut down the traction control was to remove the fuse for it in the fuse panel, shut the engine off and then restart it. They said that would keep traction control from working to keep your tires from spinning. I've never tried it.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am running a weird setup at the moment, now that you mention it. I have 18x9.5 on 235/40 for the rears and then the stock rims in the front. Only reason is cuz i debeaded on my old front setup so I went back to stock. The sensors might also be the issue... can I just buy a new sensor by itself, or do I need to buy a new hub that comes with a new sensor? Thanks again, this information helped a lot.
Yeah based on what' I've read, you are likely going to have the traction control freaking out with your setup. Your rear tires are smaller in both diameter and circumference than your fronts. I'm pretty sure your traction control computer is not very happy. The difference is small at lower speeds, but once you start reaching highway speeds (like 60mph) is when the differences start to upset the computer.

By default your rear wheels should be around +2.7% bigger than your fronts on diameter and circumference.
Currently your rear wheels are -2.3% smaller than your fronts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts