Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh, so I'm currently thinking of doing the trade in the title, but I'm also debating whether or not to do it for a 2010 manual V6 Base. Originally I purchased the auto because traffic in Houston is pretty bad sometimes and I wouldn't really need the power... also I didn't know how to drive manual. Well, recently a friend has been teaching me how to drive manual, and it's about 100x more fun... although I'm sure traffic is still excruciating, but that's the same either with a manual or an auto.

The question is, do you think this trade is worth it financially? I have ~5k miles on my 2.0T that I purchased in June, I'd lose a few thousand right off the bat trading it in, but on the Hyundai web-site there's a $1,500 rebate for previous Hyundai owners and for the 2010, another $1000 cash if you finance it through Hyundai. My current 2010 is financed through Hyundai, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to finance the new one as well and get the additional $1000 off, anyone have an idea? Especially since I have a trade in...

I know the V6 vs 2.0T has been beaten to death, I've been on these forums for a while mainly as a lurker... but I guess I just want your opinion on my options. I could also just get the ECU reflash (which I have been contemplating), but at the same time the drive train loss is just so terrible on the auto that I don't know if that'll satisfy me. Then again, the 5th gear grind I hear about with the V6 manual is disturbing as well. Ahh the options... ideas guys? Thanks!

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Tough call but id say go for it. I certainly hate the 6mt from time to time but performance and fuel efficiency are pretty bad with the 5at. Its pretty fun tuned up but youre going to have a hard time matching v6 petformance in a 5at. You can get close down lown but top end wont feels the same.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts

·
Yes it's rear wheel drive
335 Posts
I just did this last week. I traded my 2010 2.0t Auto for a 2011 3.8 R-Spec V-6. I am more than satisfied with my pick. This car was ment for the V6, it pulls so hard comparied to my last car and it is so nice having both wheels spin. Also The stick is much more fun with this car. My 2.0t had a SFR Reflash tune, and it was awsome, but this car pulls so much more than my 2.0 did with the tune. I got $2500 in rebates and 18,500 for my trade and it had 15K on it. I say do it..........

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey DezinerGEN, that's exactly the kind of info I needed... yeah it sounds like it would be worth it. How did you get $2500 in rebates though? I thought it was only $1500. It is a really tough call though =( I'm going to start dealerships around the area... haha I love my Nordstrom Grey though, I doubt I'll find an R-Spec with this color. Oh well.

·
War Eagle!
705 Posts
^ you wont cuz the 3.8 rspec's don't come in that color.

I've never had any problems with my tranny. I would go for it, even with its problems its better than the 5AT imo. good luck with whatever you decide though! I think you'll be happy with the performance you get out-of-the-box with the 3.8

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I feel like it's just not worth it to mod an auto 2.0T to achieve somewhat close to the same WHP as the rspec (not to mention the supporting LSD, brembo, etc). Arg, it's just painful tho, I wish I just got a V6 to start with =(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh one more question, was the 5th gear grind fixed in the 2011 models? Or are people still having issues with that? So far all I've seen are issues w/ 2010...

·
U wot M8
1,908 Posts
Oh one more question, was the 5th gear grind fixed in the 2011 models? Or are people still having issues with that? So far all I've seen are issues w/ 2010...
fixed... my '11 tranny feels noice.

I say do the swap.. clutch isn't harsh enough to make you ache.

only thing that makes you ache is no cruise control on long drives... my ankle gets all stiff after a while, but no biggie.

·
Island Coupe
1,060 Posts
fixed... my '11 tranny feels noice.

I say do the swap.. clutch isn't harsh enough to make you ache.

only thing that makes you ache is no cruise control on long drives... my ankle gets all stiff after a while, but no biggie.
Yep,
First roadtrip without CC was torture. Made me want to rethink the swap lol. But then I look at the Brembos and the two tire tracks I leave, and it makes it worth it again :cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh very nice, thanks for the input everyone! I just have to go around and ask about prices now... my hope is to get ~$20k for my trade in (5k miles, mint condition, premium tints), $1500 rebate, and hopefully a new R Spec for ~$25k. That's about 3.5k to me, before TTL. Do you guys think that's a reasonable assumption? Man, I'm aching right now, why did I ever learn to drive a manual? WHY did I ever buy an auto in the first place? Arg...

·
Island Coupe
1,060 Posts
Ahhh very nice, thanks for the input everyone! I just have to go around and ask about prices now... my hope is to get ~$20k for my trade in (5k miles, mint condition, premium tints), $1500 rebate, and hopefully a new R Spec for ~$25k. That's about 3.5k to me, before TTL. Do you guys think that's a reasonable assumption? Man, I'm aching right now, why did I ever learn to drive a manual? WHY did I ever buy an auto in the first place? Arg...
I don't see why you wouldn't get $20K. I got $20k for my 2.0 A/T Base w/ 30k miles.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't get $20K. I got $20k for my 2.0 A/T Base w/ 30k miles.
X2. We went to one dealership so far with my wifes car and they offered us $19,500. Didn't bother haggeling since they didn't have any cars we wanted but I would imaging $20K should be doable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I've been searching around, but apparently R-Specs are pretty rare in texas... in fact I had one dealer tell me that there was not a single R-Spec in the entire state while another said they had 2 on hand 0.o Very odd, in fact dealer that told me that none were available on all of Texas was the one who sold me my original gen coupe. I dunno if that's fishy or what, but man, guess I don't have much of a choice but to wait...

·
Yes it's rear wheel drive
335 Posts
Well I've been searching around, but apparently R-Specs are pretty rare in texas... in fact I had one dealer tell me that there was not a single R-Spec in the entire state while another said they had 2 on hand 0.o Very odd, in fact dealer that told me that none were available on all of Texas was the one who sold me my original gen coupe. I dunno if that's fishy or what, but man, guess I don't have much of a choice but to wait...
I know that hub 290 doesn't have any R-Specs. ( I got there only one) But They have a 2010 Track 3.8 That they were wanting to have me negotiate with it's green. I got 2500 because they had a rebate called "the car show rebate" that they should still give, that was $1000 plus the 1500 loyalty Rebate.

·
Car newb
2,239 Posts
There's a 2010 yellow (with stripes) R-spec on display at the dealership in College Station.

·
Car newb
2,239 Posts
I didn't think so, but if the r-spec stripes were on any other color, it'd probably look tacky.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts