Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so far, really enjoying it, although, id be lying if i said i didnt miss the sound of turbo

at first, i was a bit underwhelmed, and expected to feel more power, but on the highway when you can open it up is where i really felt the difference, and i think, my butt dyno just has to adjust to the difference in power delivery.

the throttle response seems ridiculously slow. so a tune or sprint booster or something will be in its near future lol.

anyway. . . glad to be a part of the v6 family now. ill post pics when the weather allows me to give it a good wash.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just did the same. Kinda miss my turbo

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had a custom tune on my turbo which made 355 ft pds on a dynojet so the 3.8 feels a lot slower. Don't get me wrong still love the car. I am just trying to restrain myself from modding this one lol. Not sure how long that will last tho

·
Registered
215 Posts
have a feeling that may be in my future lol

Reactions: TurboKits.com

·
Genesis OG
2,624 Posts
A 3.8 tune is a must!

·
Prototype User Title v0.9
164 Posts
so far, really enjoying it, although, id be lying if i said i didnt miss the sound of turbo

at first, i was a bit underwhelmed, and expected to feel more power, but on the highway when you can open it up is where i really felt the difference, and i think, my butt dyno just has to adjust to the difference in power delivery.

the throttle response seems ridiculously slow. so a tune or sprint booster or something will be in its near future lol.

anyway. . . glad to be a part of the v6 family now. ill post pics when the weather allows me to give it a good wash.
I did the exact trade you did. I had been looking at trying the 3.8 for at least a year. I know it probably seems lame but hearing the sound from the 3.8 is what got me interested in it. When I finally tracked down a fresh 3.8 R-Spec and took it for a drive, I made my mind up within a couple of minutes. The exhaust sound, the ride, the exhaust sound, the stereo, the new black color (Caspian looks a bit bluer vs the more neutral, dead Bathurst black), and did I mention the sound? So I took it back to the dealer and bought it.

I previously complimented Hyundai for developing a turbo car the was meant to be driven in traffic, and I still stand by that. Its just that the 3,8 is so much more satisfying on every level. The updated interior is better in many subtle ways - especially the new seat materials - and it seems quieter though that may just be the lack of the horrible resonance I experienced in my 2.0T.

I've resisted doing anything to this car so far. I want to do an H-pipe and K&N intake, and a tune, but I haven't pulled out the cash yet. First, I just can't decide between BTR and SFR, and the rumors still swirl about upcoming tuning solutions we may see. But mostly I just want to take care of this one and make it last. It was the last 2016 R-Spec in black in my state, I think. I have around 2500 miles on it and I may drive it 100 miles every three weeks or so. I keep it in the garage and don't let anyone near it, including the dealer.

The only thing that will get me out of this car is if the new Gen Coupe has a V8. Or, if an Audi R8 comes along for free.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Finally was able to give the car its first wash. . . Poorboys FTW

a little lunch in between .....

And the end result it this shiny mofo

·
Registered
544 Posts
We should start a new club for those of us who know a good thing when we hear it!

Just traded my 2010 2.0T for a new 2016. Feels like a completely different car, and then there's the sound of that V6.

About 3500 kms in 2 weeks, I might be the one driving up the price of gas ��

Was looking up info on 1st oil change and the consensus is read the manual stupid, so I did.

12,000 kms, 7,500 mi, or 6 months for the first, really?

·
164 Posts
We should start a new club for those of us who know a good thing when we hear it!

Just traded my 2010 2.0T for a new 2016. Feels like a completely different car, and then there's the sound of that V6.

About 3500 kms in 2 weeks, I might be the one driving up the price of gas ��

Was looking up info on 1st oil change and the consensus is read the manual stupid, so I did.

12,000 kms, 7,500 mi, or 6 months for the first, really?
I wouldn't wait that long on a first change. I think I had my 2.0T done within the first 2k. If the motor was built to incredibly close tolerances I wouldn't wait past 1000-1500 miles, and turbo motors need loving sooner. The other factors are the oil filtration media and how well it traps all those fresh metal particles from the first couple hundred miles, and the additive package in the oil itself. I haven't changed the 3.8 yet, but I'm still under 3k. I am approaching the 8 month mark though, so it'll probably be going in soon. I typically ignore the manufacturer guideline on the first change and split the mileage. After that, you're fine after 75 percent or so. I'd bring mine in for the change anywhere between 5500 and 7500. But thats just how I handle it.
Don't be like the typical old schooler and go every 3-3.5k at every change, those days are gone. This isn't an old 350 small block.

BTW, where did you find a new 2016? Nothing showed up in the Hyundai dealer search when I looked and that was a couple of months ago. I briefly considered getting another one just so I could have a DD. ;P

The 3.8 does sound good, doesn't it?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I wouldn't wait that long on a first change. I think I had my 2.0T done within the first 2k. If the motor was built to incredibly close tolerances I wouldn't wait past 1000-1500 miles, and turbo motors need loving sooner. The other factors are the oil filtration media and how well it traps all those fresh metal particles from the first couple hundred miles, and the additive package in the oil itself. I haven't changed the 3.8 yet, but I'm still under 3k. I am approaching the 8 month mark though, so it'll probably be going in soon. I typically ignore the manufacturer guideline on the first change and split the mileage. After that, you're fine after 75 percent or so. I'd bring mine in for the change anywhere between 5500 and 7500. But thats just how I handle it.
Don't be like the typical old schooler and go every 3-3.5k at every change, those days are gone. This isn't an old 350 small block.

BTW, where did you find a new 2016? Nothing showed up in the Hyundai dealer search when I looked and that was a couple of months ago. I briefly considered getting another one just so I could have a DD. ;P

The 3.8 does sound good, doesn't it?
I was in to the dealer here in Halifax, getting my blinker wand replaced, and was admiring the Gen sitting outside the showroom, they had a new sales guy there and I guess he was practising on the people in the service waiting room. We went for a short drive and then I picked up my car and left. Turns out my lights were a little screwed up so I had to go back. This time the sales manager said since I was waiting why not take it out for another drive by myself. I drove around the Peggy's Cove loop here, a favourite windy-twisty 100 km loop and I guess that sealed the deal kinda. He was a little surprised I took his new car for a 100 km drive but it did pay off. Little dickering over the final price with mine in trade and I'm a happy camper.
The plan was to keep the 2010 Gen for 10 years and buy another one but since this was probably my last chance.....

Did I mention how good that 6 can sing!

The car feels quite different, heavier with much heavier steering. The shifter is a little better then I remember my first one was in the beginning but it got better so alls good. The new Nav with the bigger colour screen is nice and the display will stay off when you want it to when you play with any of the controls. When you set a destination it alerts you when sharp turns are coming so you can get geared down for fun. The media system has a GB of online storage for mp3's. The backup camera that swivels as you turn the wheel works well in parkades. Still getting use to not having to take my key out of my pocket. Can you tell I haven't had a new car in 7 years?

Both my cars were Premiums so if you were looking for Brembos that might have left mine out of your search.

·
164 Posts
He was a little surprised I took his new car for a 100 km drive but it did pay off.
I would have said "look at how many miles are on this! New car, my butt!" :D

I think my car had less than 15 miles on it when I did the test drive, and I probably put 6 miles on it. I didn't even want to go back to the dealership to sign the papers, I just wanted to go straight home. If I'd had my way I would have made them meet me at my house with everything.

The plan was to keep the 2010 Gen for 10 years and buy another one but since this was probably my last chance.....
Truth. Thats the same way I felt. I really wasn't done with my 2.0T - planned on driving it until there was nothing left of the driveline and suspension and then starting over with an LS swap - but I wanted to give the 3.8 a chance before they were all gone. I'm glad I did. If I ever get back into the swap mindset I'll just go shop for a deal on a well-used BK1 and gut it.

Did I mention how good that 6 can sing!
I've had a few BMWs and this is a nice call-back to that inline six sound. I wish I could get an 8k redline on this motor but we can't have everything.

The car feels quite different, heavier with much heavier steering. The shifter is a little better then I remember my first one was in the beginning but it got better so alls good. The new Nav with the bigger colour screen is nice and the display will stay off when you want it to when you play with any of the controls. When you set a destination it alerts you when sharp turns are coming so you can get geared down for fun. The media system has a GB of online storage for mp3's. The backup camera that swivels as you turn the wheel works well in parkades. Still getting use to not having to take my key out of my pocket. Can you tell I haven't had a new car in 7 years?
I'm not a fan of the whole remote-fob thing, but there's nothing that can be done about it these days. Every single car over $20k has it. I don't have NAV in my car because R-Spec, but I don't miss it. I just look at a map and memorize the surrounding area before I go to an unfamiliar place. The steering does seem better on this car, even though my first one was BK2 as well.

Word of advice, get a collar kit. I haven't put one in on this car yet, but at close to 3k miles I notice that the suspension is slopping up a bit from new. I'm sure some that is related to the shocks breaking in, as well as the bushings, but its also subframe walk. Despite my desire to leave this car alone, I do plan on adding the cheap mods from Titan's list, so when I get a chance to order the collars I'll grab the H pipe, trans mount, etc.

Both my cars were Premiums so if you were looking for Brembos that might have left mine out of your search.
Thats probably it. I can't get the R-Spec out of my system, so thats what I searched for. Every other trim level seemed to have nothing but autos anyway, and I still like to row cogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts