Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my Gen in to get the oil changed and get my new hawk pads installed. I would also like to get the transmission fluid changed. On our cars, is this an easy process. The mechanic mentioned if there is a "pan" involved it can be more involved but if there is a drain for it the job should be easy. From what I have gathered our transmissions are easy for oil changes... is this correct?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am taking my Gen in to get the oil changed and get my new hawk pads installed. I would also like to get the transmission fluid changed. On our cars, is this an easy process. The mechanic mentioned if there is a "pan" involved it can be more involved but if there is a drain for it the job should be easy. From what I have gathered our transmissions are easy for oil changes... is this correct?
With an Auto Tranny, they usually drain the Fluid from a drain plug if your car has one if not they pull the Pan, but either way they need to take the Pan off to change the Filter and Gasket. They then close everything up and fill with new Fluid. Its a 15 min job on most cars.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If your mechanic believes a fluid change involves just removing a pan or a drain plug and replacing what was removed, then you need to SERIOUSLY reconsider who you are letting work on your vehicles.

The pan will only hold 1/4 of the total fluid capacity. With the pan and filter off, you still have fluid trapped in the torque converter, lines and the cooler built into the radiator.

So say you dropped just the pan and replaced just the four or five quarts of fluid that came out. Don't you think those other six or seven quarts of DIRTY and BURNT fluid will contaminate the fresh fluid?

A proper fluid change involves the transmission cooler lines being disconnected. You can do this yourself, dropping one of the lines in a bucket, cycling the car on and off, adding fluid as you go until the fluid coming out is the same color as you are putting in. Or a shop can do this with a flush machine that operates off the same principle, allowing the car to move the fluid, not the machine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes, the ZF is a 'sealed, lifetime fluid' trans. And if/when a fluid change is done, its not a matter of dump fluid, add fluid. There is a complete procedure involved. You have to get the tranny up to temp, but not over temp, add to top off line, run it, then do it again. And the fluid ZF specs for the trans isnt your run of the mill ATF. Find a new shop, they are going to screw you over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts