Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a 2013 Genesis coupe 2.0t with 126,000 miles. She has a delay problem when shifting gear from drive to reverse. It would take like 5 secs to engage the gear in order to reverse. I figured maybe my tranny fluid is low. I brought it in pep boys and they said they can’t change the oil because since my car’s tranny fluid has never been changed.
My question is should I just leave it? Because my car is 126,000 miles and never had any tranny fluid change? Or bring it to hyundai dealer and pay $260 for the tranny fluid change?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Lets tell the truth................

Disclaimer:

I am not being critical or trolling in any way dude, but................

Whether its only you or if the previous owner of the car did not maintain the trans,..what do you expect. I am going to assume you have an 8AT. This is an awesome trans. But no trans can do well for 128,000 miles on the same dirty ass fluid.

Take a second and think that this trans runs between 195 F minimum and 245 F or even higher maximum. Think about the "liquid friction" , and subsequent heat transfer that goes on in the torque converter. It all has to do with the fluid.

You are just now getting symptoms of a trans that is on its way out.
Why taking the old fluid out is a bad idea:
-Your fluid has sediments and particles in it forming a viscous sludge which has enabled it to function, with the worn internal plates etc. If you remove it, change it, then you will have fresh clean, slippery fluid, and that fine line of friction will no longer exist. You will have slipping slow TC lock up, any number of issues.
-The 8ATs fluid is pressure released, and pressure added. So all the sediments will be pushed around, possibly blocking passages.

The famed mechanic "Scotty" has a good video for you to watch that explains this. Your last best hope to merely reduce the incidence of symptoms and maybe extend the usefulness of your trans is by add this:
***Whoever you find to put this in, in addition if your fluid is low, top it off.

For all reading and not up there yet !!
To re-emphasize proper maintenance of these 8ATs is fluid changes every 60K. If you are tuned and smart you will do the aforementioned AND install a transmission fluid cooler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts