Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, need your advice.

Car: V6, 8 speed

I changed the transmission oil today in a non-official service, they removed the bottom plate and drained off the old oil.

My concirn is that they only managed to put there less than 5 liters, whereas in the official service they told me I need 8 liters.

They checked the level and the oil poured out.

Questions:

1. Did you change your transmission oil before? How many liters you managed to fill in?

2. Is there an indicator that will inform me in case if there is not enough oil in the transmission?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track White Pearl
3,107 Posts
You can't get all of the transmission fluid out of an automatic because of how many places it circulates inside, and the shop manual has a bad habit of listing initial fill amounts and not refill, you're fine.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Gentlemen,

Kudos for changing the trans fluid, BUT. You might not be able to get all of it out or all of it in, but I promise you your dealer can.

I just purchased my 2013 with 19K miles. Before I even drove her I had my Hyund dude do a transaxle service. I supplied 7 qts of CERMA trans. He filled her exactly with what is caled for, every drop.

The techs use a pressure removal tool, and pressure injection for refill. Some things are worth the extra labor cost. This is one of them (incidentally the labor was only 69.95)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I just purchased my 2013 with 19K miles. Before I even drove her I had my Hyund dude do a transaxle service. I supplied 7 qts of CERMA trans. He filled her exactly with what is caled for, every drop.
Total capacity is 9.6 liters refill is 7 liters, what I said is correct.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Im not taking issue with the amount.

Im taking issue with the wisdom of a gravity drain/fill.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Im not taking issue with the amount.

Im taking issue with the wisdom of a gravity drain/fill.
Huh? First of all the dealer procedure is a gravity drain:

So what you're suggesting is that your dealership went above and beyond by purchasing a machine to do a procedure in a way that isn't called for or mandated by the manufacturer? I highly doubt that. If you're confused by the bit that refers to injection I assure you that just a fancy way of saying they need to pump it in the fill hole.

And you yourself said 7 quarts but I assume you meant liters as the refill is approximately 7 liters? If not they under filled it by ~2.25 liters, and even if they put 7 liters in total capacity is 9.6 liters so right there would tell you that not all of it gets drained.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My concirn is that they only managed to put there less than 5 liters, whereas in the official service they told me I need 8 liters..
To reiterate, the shop manual states "about 7 liters" but that depends on a lot of things, was the transmission hot enough when they drained it, was the car level or at an angle, etc. As long as your shop verified that they filled it to the point that fluid was draining from the fill hole you're fine. This is a common issue where the refill is not as expected, I'll give you another example, the shop manual and owner's manual state that the engine oil capacity is 6 quarts but that is initial fill/total capacity, refill is actually about 5.5 quarts, even then in the real world people see it take anywhere from 5 to 5.5 quarts but as long as you verify that it's full you're fine.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thats an impressive post.

The short of it is Yes they have a machine. Its because this transaxle is a direct copy of the BMW 8 spd. Thats the process from them as well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Did they do a cycle through the gears?

I know with the ZF you need to fill until its pouring out, then start the car and get to idle temperature. After that, cycle up and down the gears 1-4 using manual mode all while filling it up. I've done it twice now on two separate gens in my garage. Both times, it keeps taking more fluid while cycling gears.

Also, you should know pretty quickly if your not running enough fluid. First start up of the day; immediately begin driving and let the tranny shift up to 3-4th gear and come to a complete stop. If any notchyness or clunking is felt, your low on fluid.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Thats an impressive post.

The short of it is Yes they have a machine. Its because this transaxle is a direct copy of the BMW 8 spd. Thats the process from them as well.
While I can't argue that the ZF 8 speed was the inspiration for the Hyundai unit that is not BMW or ZF's procedure.

Here's BMW instructions: http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1533479&d=1480330826
And ZF's instructions: https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/...on/how_to_change_oil/oelwechselvorgang_1.html

Neither mention using a "machine" to drain or fill the transmission, and they both are more or less the same as the published Hyundai procedures. You're going to have to find me proof that this "machine" exists and also explain why the amount of fluid you claimed they used to "completely refill" your car is no where near the amount listed in the manuals because your story doesn't add up.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Did they do a cycle through the gears?

I know with the ZF you need to fill until its pouring out, then start the car and get to idle temperature. After that, cycle up and down the gears 1-4 using manual mode all while filling it up. I've done it twice now on two separate gens in my garage. Both times, it keeps taking more fluid while cycling gears.
It's the same for the Hyundai 8 speed:

·
shorttrack
1,703 Posts
Love my 6 speed MT.Easy work.

Reactions: mahrens34

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
They remove the pan so they can replace the filter.
Not all auto transmission have drain plugs. Inclusion of a drain plus is just there to make serving less messy.

A majority of the ATF that's "in the transmission" is in the torque converter and would require removing the whole transmission to remove the torque converter to drain.

To my knowledge there is no indication as to a "low oil" situation for the transmission, except OBD code for it not being able to go into certain gears (not enough oil to build pressure in the transmission to fire the solenoids).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts