Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Transmission problems? Or just how the 8at is?

20K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Rickymtz 
#1 ·
Question about the bk2 automatics. I've got a 2015 3.8 automatic. Every once in a while it lags going into fourth. I usually only notice it at the drag strip. Well tonight at the strip it happened every single run. It hangs for like a quarter of a second and then shifts. This is in sport mode and in manual mode.
Next month I'm going to get the car custom tuned and I'm getting the transmission tune.
Details on the car:
16xxx miles. I bought it new, still in warranty.
Intake, headers, test pipes, catback, PnP manifold, sfr canned tune.
I recently installed a transmission cooler in advance for the tuning event.
Should I take it out and then bring the car to the dealership?
Will the tuning of the transmission fix this along with the ecu tune?
I really don't want to spend the 1k at the tuning event for the car to need warranty work on the transmission

#3 ·
I have the 13 track 8 speed and I don't believe I am getting that lag, but I am not drag racing either (I also didn't get the smother shifting update either that was for the 2013). I'll try to pay more attention nice time, but am curious to see what results you get with a tune for the trans

#5 ·
Take a look at 2013 Hyundai Genesis TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | HyundaiProblems.com (second or third entry). Also TSB Reference
#TSB-14-01-005

I am not sure if I got it in the mail or randomly saw it on reddit, but it feels like it has been a year or more since I last saw it

edit to add the details

details - JANUARY 01, 2014
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#TSB-14-01-005
Description: HYUNDAI: THE LOGIC FOR ACCELERATION FEEL AT COLD ENGINE CONDITION IS REVISED DUE TO AN ECM UPDATE FOR SOME VEHICLES. MODEL 2013 GENESIS. *P

#6 ·
Just checked it out...looks like you're looking at the Genesis Sedan. If you look at the TSB's for the Genesis Coupe, the only TSB's listed are for the "Clutch line pressure", and the Passenger seat airbag weight sensor.

#7 ·
#13 ·
How do you like the TCU tune? Would you buy it again? Is it worth the money? What differences do you notice?

#14 ·
This is the nature of the oem trans tuning, it sucks ass. The TC takes its sweet ass time locking out. Thats how its tuned. The BTR trans tune will correct this like instantly. I'm sure SFR can do this as well. After the trans tune you will love this transmission. It will become 75 % of your braking power.
***Warning, better get rid of that oem trans fluid.
***Better get a trans cooler as well.(I see you got one).
Honestly, take the leap,..but kiss your warranty goodbye.

#15 ·
i have an automatic trans and it’s terrible if i go from neutral to manual mode i stays in 1st gear for a while and can’t shift up until like 3-4 seconds later and also there’s no rev matching which really sucks tbh seeing that almost every car out there now a days has it also and it also rev hangs when you switch gears

#16 ·
It's programmed that way so you don't shift too low in the rpms. If it allowed you to shift too low in the rpms, it would bog down and likely stall the engine. Stalling an engine with an automatic while in motion, would make the car stop as if you slammed on the brakes. It's not a double clutch transmission.

rev hang is a combination of the ecu programming and transmission computer programming. It's for better exhaust scavenging for better emissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.