Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I did a search and found a thread that indicated others have had this issue. I took the car in to a dealership to see if they might be able to cure the problem. They took a plastic razor blade and tried to scrape the coating off. They claimed it was a "factory protective coating" that needed to come off. Now it looks like ****. I should make them fix it but they keep pushing back and I am about done with them. Should I order new trim? (mainly the door handle) I found the factory part. I also found some carbon fiber look replacements. Maybe some 3M film? What have you guys done to remedy this. It bugs the crap out of me considering the car is otherwise immaculate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My trim on the doors is peeling as well. I haven't done anything yet but my plan is to see if I can take those pieces off and scuff them up slightly and either rattle can paint them or wrap them. I agree it does look like crap. If mine was under warranty I'd be fighting The dealer to fix that as it's an obvious defect and not a "protective coating that should have been removed"

If I we're you I'd probably try a different dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a used vehicle when I bought it so not sure about warranty coverage. The replacement parts don't cost much but you have to take the entire door panel off to replace. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
14,833 Posts
OK. I did a search and found a thread that indicated others have had this issue. I took the car in to a dealership to see if they might be able to cure the problem. They took a plastic razor blade and tried to scrape the coating off. They claimed it was a "factory protective coating" that needed to come off. Now it looks like ****. I should make them fix it but they keep pushing back and I am about done with them. Should I order new trim? (mainly the door handle) I found the factory part. I also found some carbon fiber look replacements. Maybe some 3M film? What have you guys done to remedy this. It bugs the crap out of me considering the car is otherwise immaculate.
do you mean like a clear bra?

... you don't need a razor to take clear bra off. It just peels off with some heat and soapy water.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It was a used vehicle when I bought it so not sure about warranty coverage. The replacement parts don't cost much but you have to take the entire door panel off to replace. Ugh!
The door panels are actually a piece of cake to take off. There's a screw behind a tiny cover behind the interior door handle. You can pop that out with a tiny flat head screwdriver. Then there's another screw behind the black cover where your door mirror is and then another under the cover I side the door handle. Again a flat head head works perfect on those covers as well. And then I think 10 clips total on the outer edges off the door panel. I went to harbor freight and bought a panel tool for a few bucks. Then undo a few wire harnesses and that's that. It takes maybe 5 minutes on each door. Where did you get your replacement parts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The door panels are actually a piece of cake to take off. There's a screw behind a tiny cover behind the interior door handle. You can pop that out with a tiny flat head screwdriver. Then there's another screw behind the black cover where your door mirror is and then another under the cover I side the door handle. Again a flat head head works perfect on those covers as well. And then I think 10 clips total on the outer edges off the door panel. I went to harbor freight and bought a panel tool for a few bucks. Then undo a few wire harnesses and that's that. It takes maybe 5 minutes on each door. Where did you get your replacement parts?
I haven't ordered any yet but here is a link to where I found them. OEM

https://www.hyundaioemparts.com/auto-parts/2015/hyundai/genesis-coupe/3-8-trim/3-8l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/interior-trim-door-scat

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check this out -
TSB #15-01-005
NHTSA ID #10057844
• Date Announced: JANUARY 01 2015
• Additional Info: How to Fix
Summary: HYUNDAI MODELS :SONATA, ELANTRA , GENESIS & GENESIS COUPE: ON CERTAIN VEHICLES THE INTERIOR CHROME PLATED DOOR HANDLES MAY WEAR DUE TO CONSISTENT USE.

I have this problem but dealer said the would have to call corporate to decide to cover after 2 years. I have been back to check to see if they will do it for my car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check this out -
TSB #15-01-005
NHTSA ID #10057844
• Date Announced: JANUARY 01 2015
• Additional Info: How to Fix
Summary: HYUNDAI MODELS :SONATA, ELANTRA , GENESIS & GENESIS COUPE: ON CERTAIN VEHICLES THE INTERIOR CHROME PLATED DOOR HANDLES MAY WEAR DUE TO CONSISTENT USE.

I have this problem but dealer said the would have to call corporate to decide to cover after 2 years. I have been back to check to see if they will do it for my car.
I am in Indy. Mind me asking what dealer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone sends me a PM and either I don't respond or send multiple replies it's because I am too stupid to figure the system out. Apologies in advance. LOL. I will get the hang of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If anyone sends me a PM and either I don't respond or send multiple replies it's because I am too stupid to figure the system out. Apologies in advance. LOL. I will get the hang of it.
LOL, you will get the hang of it. Your name is funny to me cause I had a Yamaha 2008 Raider.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My user name is an old one I have used for years. It refers to my old 07 Yamaha FJR1300. Got rid of it a few years back. Kinda' miss her. Used to do some awesome road trips on that bike.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
My user name is an old one I have used for years. It refers to my old 07 Yamaha FJR1300. Got rid of it a few years back. Kinda' miss her. Used to do some awesome road trips on that bike.
My previous two cars had Yamaha motors in them.

·
13 2.0T
25 Posts
Yeah, its coming off mine as well. I think all of the Gennies have this problem. lol @ the dealer who told you it was "protective coating" what a load of BS. But I noticed the trim underneath the stuff actually looks kinda better and more durable than the laminate. I've been wanting to see how I could go about just removing all this lamination from the trim pieces at once without damaging the trim, but I haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This happened to me on my passenger handle and my steering wheel trim. Looked horrible as 1/4 of my passenger handle was peeling off. Took it to two dealerships both told me it’s a wear item and won’t be covered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts