Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cool. I was thinking the same thing. Easier to mod a bk1 to fit than DIY kit? I like supporting the sponsors on here, but only 3point8 performance has a true CAI for BK2 and they are always out of stock. Just ordered the riser and upper and lower manifold last night from them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say easier. If you order the right piping should be the same. Really the only advantages were pipe for vacuum hose and bracket are already there.

·
shorttrack
1,660 Posts
Mine looks similar, I instead used 4 inch tubing and bell velocity stack for a large K&N filter . I wrapped the assembly in foam/aluminum thermal wrap . The aluminum tubing still picked up a lot of under hood temperature if not wrapped .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Would the 4 inch be to much?
Only reason I am asking is because of 3point8 write up that shows 3 1/2 is worse that 3 inch. I'm sure you like it or you wouldn't have left it on the car!

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is an aem intake for bk2 and you don't have to remove the washer fluid.
I see why you posted the AEM pic. The OP was speaking of the AEM true CAI from the bk1 cars I believe. Sometimes people reply and it may seem like not the friendliest postings.
He was speaking of the long tube true CAI and you just trying to help showed a pic of the short tube SRI.
Thanks for the trying to help the OP.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I see why you posted the AEM pic. The OP was speaking of the AEM true CAI from the bk1 cars I believe. Sometimes people reply and it may seem like not the friendliest postings.
He was speaking of the long tube true CAI and you just trying to help showed a pic of the short tube SRI.
Thanks for the trying to help the OP.
Yeah they don't make a real one for bk2 that removes washer fluid. I'm aware they are **** sri lol. I data logged temps and they were the same as with k&n in stock box(within 4 degrees). But then I moved the sensor to the top of the box with k&n and that was the best result.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you are stock tune or just a bench flash the 3 is the thing. Y'all forget S-Tracks car is * tuned, uses nitrous from time to time etc. Bigger, especially a V-stak into larger piping stepping down ultimately to the TB diameter is definitely better,
More air pulled in,more potent higher btu /higher octane fuel, more exhaust pushed out, is ALWAYS better. But you have to have the right hardware and electronics to make it happen.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Intake pipe size and pipe leght affect velocity and at which point of rpms you see most gain.
Longer pipe - gain at lower rpms / narrower pipe - gain at lower rpms.
3" intake has ID of 2.8" - 71mm
3.5" intake has ID of 3.3" - 83mm

Throttle body has opening of 84mm, which then goes down to 75mm.

OEM intake ID is 3" and has short tipe.

I have bored TB to 80mm (opening flares out to 84mm), so I went with 3.5" CAI with velocity stack. Pipe is twice the length of OEM and better matched ID of pipe to TB. IM also all ported.

No power drop off - pulls hard till 7.2k rpms. (Alphaspeed tune with cam phrasing, which helps).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
shorttrack
1,660 Posts
.My set up out flows any and all CAI of same length .As Gaijinn stated my Gen is a total combination of usable power and TQ . I don't doubt CAI system mass produced or home built work so as long as the air is pulled from out side of the engine compartment .More cooler air is just that , more air .The air flow is restricted by the TBI'd throttle blade size . I have a Max Bore larger TBI Blade .I match ported the upper to lower intake manifold and match ported the lower intake manifold to the cylinder heads intake ports . I also ported thermal spacer,TBI body and the water meth/Nitrous 1 inch spacer , all match ported. Lower manifold ports to the head's intake port is missed by many who have installed a PNP upper/lower manifold thus hamper the flow that can be handled . I did all that can be done without pulling the heads to increase air flow from the opening of the fake vents under the fog light being made functional and all the way to the head ports. CFM OF AIR FLOW IS ALSO SUBJECTED TO HEAT SOAKING OF THE CAI's SYSTEMS ALUMINUM PIPING .Pipes get hot and the air expands and thins out in volume .I thermal wrapped all piping and am running a flexible Turbine thermal barrier material between the right bank head and the lower intake manifold .I like the running my 4 inch CAI system , it works for me .

Reactions: andbudzi

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yep, I port matched my intake ports as well. There was planty of misalignment, more misalignment then between both manifolds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: shorttrack

·
shorttrack
1,660 Posts
I was surprised in the misalignment of the lower intake manifold to the head intake ports also.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You guys are absolutely correct, I didn't factor in stock vs modded. My bad. I think I'm going to get the 2010 ish CAI and adapt it. Dunno yet. That's after the upp and lower manifold install so I have time to figure it out

·
Registered
63 Posts
i’ll continue to reply to you thru DM but here is a pic from earlier today, and as you can see my CAI system is working great. It was 81 degrees outside and I am pulling in just 5* degrees above ambient.
Just found this thread. I was hoping to get some insight on what you used to make your custom CAI and possibly get some pics so I can try this for myself. I would greatly appreciate it! 🙏🏽

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just did this as well I can send you the info? It's way easier than you would think.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I didn't like the washer delete. I ordered a small washer fluid reservoir. I'll let you know where and how I mount it.
Some may want to keep their washer fluid.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I put a regular ol' ink pen on top so you get an idea of how small it is. It fit right behind the headlight where the old intake set. Amazon on sale for 10.00. but normal was like 20.00 , and for those wondering, full bottle and hardware was 4 pounds . 15981062533123850432045487320873.jpg Screenshot_20200822-102659_Amazon Shopping.jpg

21 - 40 of 50 Posts