Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Ya, I guess if I was looking for the most gains, I would go for the single exhaust, however, I'm not a fan of how they look on the genesis. I love the quad exhaust look, I just hoping the there will be a difference in sound between the true duel and my current setup. Has anyone heard anything good about the magma flow single in single out cobra exhaust?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
No one said anything about 'single exit'. we said single 3" midpipe.

You have the System Upgrade, which is in fact single exit.
You have the CNT which has great bang for the buck if you can still get one
And you have the MDX which is my favorite

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So i pulled the trigger and got my exhaust installed. I went with the "true duel" setup even thought its not "true" so to speak. I did have an x pipe put in but its the closest ill get. The sound difference is noticeable, and I am in love with it! Power gains are either non existent or very very minimal but i doubt it since i did not dyno before and after the install. However, I feel that my engine is revving quite a bit easier and it feels like the car is working less, or in other words, exhaling a lot easier. Here are some images i took on my iPhone, they are a bit crappy.
Before

After

·
Genesis 1:1
1,150 Posts
Sweet! Need vids! Wanna hear. It will be loud since you don't have any resonators close to the x pipe...but it will be sick sounding!

·
Improving WHP
380 Posts
Niice!!!
Sound clip needed in here

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here is the youtube link to my video. Hope you guys enjoy it!

·
Genesis 1:1
1,150 Posts
Love it dude! Can't wait to hear a flyby! Well done sir!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
never use only drop once!
2,746 Posts
the backpressure article is a good one, but it's really just arguing semantics vs syntax. back pressure, scavenging, low pressure wave reflection, whatever you want to call it, it doesn't change the fact that nobody has actually engineered a set of headers for this car that will work because they all lower EGT too much out of the gate and you get no gains off of them because velocity is trash.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No one said anything about 'single exit'. we said single 3" midpipe.

You have the System Upgrade, which is in fact single exit.
You have the CNT which has great bang for the buck if you can still get one
And you have the MDX which is my favorite
MDX? never heard of them. . . .which exhaust is that and where can I see vids?

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Even though you have gotten the exhaust i still want to answer your question about "true dual, or not true dual"

A true dual exhaust will give more flow through the exhaust, but with cars that dont have super high horsepower ( upwards of 500 ) it really does not matter. The downside is they will give more weight, which to most people does not matter.

A non true will have a little less exhaust flow but will weigh less. They are also cheaper due to less metal.

another thing to consider, even though you have already gotten yours is the diameter of the pipe throughout. Most manufacturers have a full 3" system, but the tips narrow, that gives a less diameter for the fumes to escape, so the larger the tip and the whole system the more flow.

i Have the TurboXS GT system on my 2.0T which is a single pipe from the 2nd cat to the muffler, then the tips come out of the muffler as 2 separate ones on each side making it a true "Quad Tip" It sounds the as good as one that splits from the cat, but on mine i cant have a "True Dual"

Its preference

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
the backpressure article is a good one, but it's really just arguing semantics vs syntax. back pressure, scavenging, low pressure wave reflection, whatever you want to call it, it doesn't change the fact that nobody has actually engineered a set of headers for this car that will work because they all lower EGT too much out of the gate and you get no gains off of them because velocity is trash.
I said something like that once. :sly:

im pretty sure "back pressure" is a myth. there was some sassy comment somewhere else on the forum that basically said no back pressure is good, and get rid of as much as possible.
It's posts like this that make me cringe sometimes.

Anyways. Back pressure is NOT a myth it exists and it has been utilized to provide certain operational aspects to a given powerplant. This engine in particular thrives off of the backpressure waves to produce it's power and unique sound. It is very finicky with major airflow changes that alter the said backpressure waves and requires a custom tune to reap the benefits of very popular mods: Headers, Balanced Intake Manifold, Long tube headers.

On a turbocharged vehicle. ALL exhaust and intake airflow parameters are drastically different than in an NA counterpart. I have explained this in other threads regarding turbine housings. The turbocharger provides a large amount of pressure in the manifold. It does not hamper power production because the engine is well... turbocharged.

another thing to consider, even though you have already gotten yours is the diameter of the pipe throughout. Most manufacturers have a full 3" system, but the tips narrow, that gives a less diameter for the fumes to escape, so the larger the tip and the whole system the more flow.
The advantage of keeping up exhaust flow that far from the head port is somewhat negligble at best. If you have a complete 3" Y-Piped exhaust, having 4 2.5" exits will really not hamper anything performance wise. If what you were saying is anywhere near true, companies would be offering "BIGGER TIPZ UPGRADEZ YO! +20 HP BRO!" in a radio box next to where you would select whether or not you wanted burnt or titanium tips.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Always fun to see the " I heards", "I reads", and "i was told"on post asking questions such as this. Great question, unfortunately answered by some who have no clue.

To put it basic ( and yes I know there is way more) less back pressure usually effects low end torque just as to big of a diameter effects low end hp. I owned a 94 z28 with a few bucks of upgrades. I went with the single 3" exhaust and it closed plenty enough for my car. I dynoed at 428 hp and 478tq and was hitting 11.5x qmile.
For a Genesis coupe (not a wild build but basically what 90% of us will do) a single exhaust should flow plenty enough for our hp range. True duels,depending on the mufflers more so than the two single pipes now, may be just a personal preference more so than a big difference in gains.
Should not a single exhaust flow enough for our cars? How much gain over single pipes vs duel is there and is it enough to warrant the price diff? If you made a few more hp(and I wouldn't think that if any) with duel how much of that is negated by the extra weight?
I'm not knocking either choice, I merely stating it's a preference over performance for what most of us will do to the car.
I must agree I love the Ark sound, Solo and CNT. Stillen sounds ok too. I been trying to decide on one of those or the JDM exhaust. I can't find many sound clips of that exhaust though. It's a single pipes into a muffler much like the stock.
I want deeper sound, maybe a tad louder but not holy crap loud. Oh yeah magnaflow sounds good too.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts