Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah, its still there. Havent had time to pick it up. Whats wrong with your ECU?

I might have an alternate dealer to go to though that will hopefully be more helpful. A fellow Honda owner I know is a Service Advisor at another local Hyundai dealer.

· Registered
136 Posts
Woops, sorry man! Thought you had a 3.8 auto. You're correct, there are none (that we have) out for the 2.0T. Sorry once again. :eek:
Erin Mills Hyundai in the auto mall updated my ECU for the rev hang issue and i have a 2.0T auto, L J u should go check it out it was free to lol

· Registered
133 Posts
Is this the ECU update that was originally posted since winter? or is there a new one again??
I noticed rev hang getting a lil better, but still noticing it after my ecu update in winter.

· Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Erin Mills Hyundai in the auto mall updated my ECU for the rev hang issue and i have a 2.0T auto, L J u should go check it out it was free to lol
I was there and the service dude gave me a "WTF are you talking about" face. The service tech wasn't taking me seriously at all...this was the same for the last 2 visits. I didn't buy the car from that dealership. Very disappointed with the service. NOT COMING BACK THERE AT ALL!

I think I'm gonna ask 401/Dixie Hyundai, Cooksville Hyundai, or the dealer I bought my car from, Burlington Hyundai (and might as well refill my tires with Nitrogen :))

· Registered
1,660 Posts
I got my MTF changed today to the Pentosin 75W-80. It was actually labeled BMW MTF, but it is manufactured by Pentosin and used by BMW in their transmissions. Same part # and specs that Hyundai is using. This fluid is a full synthetic and if so, it's not as likely to loose viscosity in the cold. I've never heard of the stuff before, but BMW, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc all use it. Good enough for them, so good enough for a GC I guess.

The dealer I purchased my car from wouldn't take the US TSB and said the tranny shifted normally. I never experienced any grinds or pop-outs, but it was very stiff when the temperature was cold and it took alot of effort to go into gear sometimes. I have a fellow Honda enthusiast who is a Service Advisor at another Hyundai dealer in my area, so I took my car there because they had already performed a few of the MTF fluid changes to other customers GC's. I'm also guessing that because they have access to the correct Pentosin fluid, it makes it alot easier to perform the fluid change.

So, the tranny shifts flawlessly now. It goes into every gear very easily like my Civic Si. Too easily almost and it kind of feels loose or vague compared to the stiff previous fluid. I feel like I have to relearn how to shift it. My wife drove it earlier and said it feels like a different car. I think a set of the TIC bushings will firm it up a bit. I'm very happy with the results and with the service form the dealer.

· ///H Power
866 Posts
MTD hook me up with this new dealer. How much did it cost you to do this? I actually just want to order the oil and I'm gonna replace it myself, but I went everywhere canadian tire, part source, and no pentosin or mutul 75-80 :(

· Registered
67 Posts
Guys, I have access to the Canadian site so I'll check it every week or so and post any new TSB's.

On another note, I was told that Hyundai will be replacing the syncros from now on and not the whole transmission for all of us with shifting issues.
Do you have any updated TSB's now? There was a previous post of a Canadian Genesis Coupe getting an ECU update to fix the rev hang on the Automatic transmission 2.0T. I'd like to see that one please.

The issue is noticable when driving in Sport mode and releasing throttle, the RPM stays up before dropping, on my coupe which was built April 2009.

· Registered
83 Posts
Do you have any updated TSB's now? There was a previous post of a Canadian Genesis Coupe getting an ECU update to fix the rev hang on the Automatic transmission 2.0T. I'd like to see that one please.

The issue is noticable when driving in Sport mode and releasing throttle, the RPM stays up before dropping, on my coupe which was built April 2009.
No new TSB's on the list.

· Registered
158 Posts
Anyone know how to check the ECU ROM ID without dealer equipment? Would be nice to check if I have the update before I go asking for it... ( I don't THINK I do because the revs do hang, but I heard it's not 100% improvement so we will see...)

· ///H Power
866 Posts
Just an update, I finally got a response from Hyundai Canada regarding the manual tranny fluid flush. They scheduled me in for a warranty service, which flushed my gear oil with a synthetic blend ATF (yes it's not a typo: Automatic Transmission Fluid). The difference is dramatically noticeable, when cold it's a lot easier to get into gear and not clunky. I'm sure if I put in Pentosin full synthetic gear oil it will be even better (might do that before winter starts).

As for the rev hang issue, most 3.8 should have the latest ECU program which only fix the issue on the electronic side. If you still notice a mild hang for about half a second or so, that would be caused by the dual mass flywheel. The bungee effect of the flywheel causes the hang after hard acceleration (one mass slows down while the other still accelerating due to its momentum = causes the hang) and there's really nothing you can do about it.

On HMAService.com they only labelled the dual mass flywheel on the 3.8 engine, I couldn't find a diagram of the flywheel on the 2.0T side. That's my finding. If you want the tranny flush go email [email protected] <-- customer relations

· WTF is NOS???
1,146 Posts
Finally got the ECM reflash, can't believe the improvement in shifting at redline.... The shifts are nearly instantanious, even on the bottle it shifts quick and firm with nearly no delay....

· Registered
118 Posts
you went at the dealership to re-flashed it? and i much it was or was it on the warranty?

· WTF is NOS???
1,146 Posts
Yup. It was a tsb. Covered under warranty.

· Registered
65 Posts
I went through the Canadian TSB docs (via link provided, p.2) and noticed nothing about misaligned hood (eg. gap over driverside headlight) or manual transmission issues.

Am I to understand we don't have these issues?

61 - 80 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.