Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,833 Posts
theirs also the time it takes between shifts on the manual.

Part of the reason why there are more big builds running automatics (cars at the trip in general) at the strip.

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
Just going to throw some input here.

My friend has the same identical R-SPEC model I do in the 2.0. I have the 3.8

From a roll stock, he would beat me. Very even on the low end, but he would pull me on the top.

After I began modding my car, most of the races were nearly dead even. I did some more modding, so has he.

He decided to go 6266 turbo and from a 20, and a 40 I would pull him about 1-2 cars in the beginning and he would eventually catch up and make it even towards the end.

Before he went big turbo he had the stock turbo and I had all my mods done. Tune, full exhaust (header, mp, cbe) Races were nearly the same, maybe me winning by a fender or half a car.

Both cars are 2015's In Ibiza Blue Track Models. 6MT.

tl:dr - The 3.8 has instant torque so it will jump on the 2.0 from the beginning. If you brake boost the 2.0 from a roll they're dead even cars. In your case, the A/T car might fall behind due to the fact of the gearing, etc.

I'm basing all this evidence above from **** that has happened with me.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
April 10th is the next Sunday Runday at Bradenton Raceway if anyone wants to see. I'd love to see different levels of tune, stock, 2.0 and 3.8 just to see how it'd go. Of course a track day would be best, for actual road course times, but that'd be too expensive.

·
Genesis OG
2,625 Posts
6266?? Once he spools he should be GONE

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well other than the standard drive train loss for all cars with an automatic the auto hp #'s are not way too bad on the gen coupe 2.0T its just the torque is not as good as a M/T from the dyno numbers ive seen when both tranny's (2.0T specifically) are tuned.

So no one has a definitive answer?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well guess we gotta run to find out....lol

·
Genesis OG
2,625 Posts
Maybe you no read so well but I gave a definite answer.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Most videos and races I've seen with a 3.8 tuned vs a 2.0T results in the 2.0T winning.

The 3.8's tuned are only pulling around 290-300whp from what I've seen and most stage 2 2.0T's are running 300 whp minimum, some in the area of 320whp. Either way, at the end of the day the 2.0T has more modding potential unless you decide to do forced induction on the 3.8. It gets pretty expensive at that point though (7k-8k).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
dont go off dyno numbers for this type of deal, go off actual 1/4mile results. Dyno numbers vary from dyno to dyno and arent good for a comparison like this.

Based on the few 1/4mile posts in the official 1/4mile thread, it looks like FBO Tuned 2.0s are running mid to high 13s, and FBO Tuned 3.8s run about the same if not a tad faster, so its a driver's race.

FBO/Tuned 2.0t will take a stock 3.8, but if the 2.0 driver sucks and the 3.8 doesnt, the 3.8 will win i bet.

·
Genesis OG
2,625 Posts
Maybe we ALL no read so well. He said Rolling start or race from a roll. So driver's are pretty much taken out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Maybe we ALL no read so well. He said Rolling start or race from a roll. So driver's are pretty much taken out.
Not at all, if we're talking MT. People have quite different amounts of shift delay depending on how good they are and how well used or abused their transmissions are, and also how experienced they are on a MT car, and this car in particular.

I know when I'm doing drag of any kind I'm pretty aggressive on my shifts. But even with how quickly I try to shift myself, I'm sure there are plenty out there that are faster than me, and plenty slower. Especially big deal in the 2.0T where you start losing boost once you're off the gas to shift imo.

·
Premium Member
14,833 Posts
Not at all, if we're talking MT. People have quite different amounts of shift delay depending on how good they are and how well used or abused their transmissions are, and also how experienced they are on a MT car, and this car in particular.

I know when I'm doing drag of any kind I'm pretty aggressive on my shifts. But even with how quickly I try to shift myself, I'm sure there are plenty out there that are faster than me, and plenty slower. Especially big deal in the 2.0T where you start losing boost once you're off the gas to shift imo.
Cars in question:

2013 2.0T
Automatic
1.5 tune

2013 3.8
Manual (automatic? Not clear in first post)
tune

With the 2.0 being an automatic, turbo lag wouldn't really be an issue.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Cars in question:

2013 2.0T
Automatic
1.5 tune

2013 3.8
Manual (automatic? Not clear in first post)
tune

With the 2.0 being an automatic, turbo lag wouldn't really be an issue.
No, not if we're only talking about specifically those 2 vehicles, but I'm going under the assumption of all applicable models from 2010 - 2016, and comparing all of them with FBO, stock, and tuned in between. If you account for manuals with the turbos, then the turbos slow down a lot. Plus I believe the auto also pulls boost between gears no?

·
Premium Member
14,833 Posts
No, not if we're only talking about specifically those 2 vehicles, but I'm going under the assumption of all applicable models from 2010 - 2016, and comparing all of them with FBO, stock, and tuned in between. If you account for manuals with the turbos, then the turbos slow down a lot. Plus I believe the auto also pulls boost between gears no?
See now we are going on a tangent from the original topic, and far to deep into bench racing.

·
Genesis OG
2,625 Posts
@AKGC beat me to all of that! lol

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts

I read your further posts so im just gonna post input here quoting this one.

6266 yes. He actually switched to a smaller turbo because he wasn't into full boost until 4 grand.

We ran the same quarter mile time. 13.2 at 106mph.

I never race from digs just because I feel like i'm destroying my rear end lol. Both of us are 6-speed too though so.

Also note he said he was having horrible boost creep issues in 1st, sometimes 2nd. We did another roll from 3rd gear and he pulled me hard.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts