Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Turbo Kit Options - Which Would You Prefer?

• Single Turbo Kit, Stock Motor, Quick Install & Go, 100 - 150 WHP

Votes: 498 59.8%
  • Single Turbo Kit - Full Engine Build Required, High HP, Higher Price Tag

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Twin Turbo Kit, Stock Motor, Quick Install & Go, 100 - 150 WHP

Votes: 269 32.3%
  • Twin Turbo Kit - Full Engine Build Required, High HP, Higher Price Tag

Votes: 48 5.8%

Turbo Kit for the 3.8 V6

255K views 1K replies 240 participants last post by  TurboKits.com 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello All, it's TurboKits.com here to gauge the interest in a Forced Induction set up on the 3.8 Coupe?

Single? Twin? Price Range? HP?

What is everyone wanting?

Recap of info:

Baseline DYNO - http://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6/47196-turbo-kit-3-8-v6-10.html#post608415

Turbocharger Pics - http://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6/47196-turbo-kit-3-8-v6-11.html#post623741

Installed Pics - http://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6/47196-turbo-kit-3-8-v6-14.html#post666484

Initial Turbo Results, DYNO & VID - http://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6/47196-turbo-kit-3-8-v6-41.html#post987378

See Below:
Quick teaser pic of the turbo we are using... We should be able to post some better progress pictures by the end of the week, beginning of next. It is coming along great!

Turbonetics Billet Comp Wheel, F1 Exh Wheel, Vband Housing - All the new Tech!

Stay tuned!

Update - We have baselined the GC3.8. We'll keep everyone updated as the build progresses!

YouTube - TurboKits.com Baseline Genesis V6 DYNO Run - Before Turbo

Thanks
Here are the pics of the kit we are working on. We are waiting for a few custom machined pieces to come back from the machine shop and we'll be able to move onto the next step... What do you all think?

Here are some finished pics from other projects so you can get an idea of what the final product will look like :)

That's all for now, we'll update the board as thing progress.

Thanks

TurboKits.com
I typically hate getting into the WHP argument. DYNOs vary, conditions vary, etc... For example, we have a Mustang DYNO, which is considered a "low reading" DYNO. The Gen Coupe ran only 242/237 to the wheels with a full CAT Back exhaust. That equates to a 25% driveline loss (242WHP/.75 = 322 | 306HP+15HP = 321). We just ran the car today, to get a baseline on our DYNO. Because I know the inevitable battle between SFR & BTRcc results will come up and I wanted to have a solid baseline before BTRcc tuned it. So here it is 395/374 @ 8.5 PSI on our Mustang DYNO. Yes, that is lower than what SFRs DYNO reads. That is typical with Mustangs they can read 5-10% lower than other DYNOs. So do the math, add back the loss and we are back inline. Which I also want to remind you, IF we do say 380WHP on our Mustang DYNO as a conservative tune w/ BTRcc, that may very well be 400+ on another DYNO. The proof of results will be in the gain. What you started at and what you ended at on the same DYNO.

Start = 242/237
End = (Currently) 395/374 to the Wheels - add 25% driveline loss back that equals 526/498 at the Crank
End = (Conservatively) 380/360 to the Wheel - 25% loss back = 506/480 at the Crank

Those numbers are well within the 100 - 150 WHP + TQ gain that is typical with V6 NA to Turbo conversions and well over what an out of the box kit will do on a 350Z/G35. Not to mention what was overwhelmingly asked for in our poll at the top of this thread.

Anyway, Battle on, just my $.02

:gc-wmscared0016:

DYNO Video: (Turn on Speakers, Crank it to 1080i)
Genesis Coupe 3.8L Single Turbo by TurboKits.com - YouTube

DYNO Chart:

Plus a quote from Jay at SFR about the kit's driving characteristics.

There is almost no lag and TurboKits.com did a great job choosing the turbo for this car. It can be daily driven without any problems. Gas mileage seems to be pretty good, too. Of course, do not expect something like stock mpg but after 50+ WOT runs on the dyno it only sucked up 1/4 tank of gas. We've tuned the car to run just like factory AFR while it's not in the boost ...So gas mileage should be OK considering it has aftermarket bigger injectors.

See less See more
#2 ·
Simply put YES

#6 ·
Great, thanks for the input

I would prefer a single turbo. The the turbo kit should be reliable and a good bang for the buck .

Poll added, thanks
you should set up a poll for this with all those choices it will be easier to track and also become a site sponsor that way you dont cross the lines of the forum

#5 ·
Hello All, it's TurboKits.com here to gauge the interest in a Forced Induction set up on the 3.8 Coupe?

Single? Twin? Price Range? HP?

What is everyone wanting?
you should set up a poll for this with all those choices it will be easier to track and also become a site sponsor that way you dont cross the lines of the forum

#7 ·
Currently, it seems most kits being built out there are "show" kits. Big twin set-up costs upward of 10k$. The 3.8 is craving for more "down to earth" options, single modern turbo...

#8 ·
As much as we love the show, our goals will be a kit that can be boxed and shipped globally :)

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean it will not be a great looking and performing kit, but our HP goals will be realistic, the install will be as simple as possible and the price will be attainable by most enthusiasts... Deal?

#11 ·
same as the two gentlemen above requested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
All depend about the final price! single or twin turbo vs SC! What kind of modification we can do before touching the inside of the engine! How much lbs the block could accept and so on!

It was clear, before I put anything on my car, it need to me safe to drive (without always to be at the garage for adjustment or reparation) and can be do long drive like is possible today!

#17 ·
i voted for single turbo bolt on, but what would be the advantage of a twin? If both kits are going to be putting out the same power? Will one spool quicker? more efficient at cruise?

#19 ·
No advantage if you are keeping the motor stock and around 400 hp
The gt35 is the best option for a single turbo for the v6.
You will get positive manifold pressure at around 1800 rpm and full 8 psi at around 2900 rpm.
Your effective compression ratio will be around 16.1 which is very conservative when putting a turbo on a NA car, 18.1 is still safe to give you an idea.With this setup you should hit about 370 whp.

#20 ·
I would rather s/c over t/c, but if I were to t/c I would prefer a twin turbo set up with 1 quick spooling small/medium turbo and 1 slower spooling medium/large turbo to pick up where the smaller one maxes out.

#21 ·
That wouldn't be a twin turbo setup... Twin turbo means twin turbos, as in, identical... You're describing a sequential or compound setup.

#22 ·
Price, price, price is so important. Priced right you should be able to sell a ton of these kits.

I'd love a kit but I wouldn't spend $7K on a used car that is worth maybe $15-20K at that time.

Imo, ignore the guys that are requesting twins. How many of them would actually pay the asking price?

Cylinder Pressures can be kept very conservative on a turbo charged engine so w/ a 100-150 hp bump the car should just require a clutch.

#23 · (Edited)
twins would be more marketable because it would be easier to sell stages. if you try doing stages with a single kit you'll have to account for the larger turbo in the design. we don't need huge turbos to get 100-130 at the wheels. but i wouldn't balk at a single turbo option. here's the question for you guys. based on experience with the vg/vq and mitsu guys what have you seen sell the best for a reasonable price. the vg/vq guys all seems to haev twins, i'm sure there are singles out but i haven't seen them. the mitsu guys like singles, and i haven't seen as many twins.

price i would say keep it in line with what's out. 4-5 grand single kit 7 grand twin.

the other problem you may have is the tuning solution. 3.8s have shown to be really picky about replacement ecus that aren't clones. at least on the smart key models.

there is space to do something like this using a cast manifold and smaller turbos.

#28 ·
based on experience with the vg/vq and mitsu guys what have you seen sell the best for a reasonable price. the vg/vq guys all seems to haev twins, i'm sure there are singles out but i haven't seen them.
Actually, VG guys usually stick to what they have. Since Nistune makes changing injectors/etc easy, there's not a big reason to go with a custom ECU.

VG30ET (z31 factory single) owners usually go with single large turbos. VG30DETT (z32 - factory "true" twin turbo) stick with TT because the car is already adapted to use 2 sets of o2 sensors, 2 MAFs, etc. It has 2 separate intake, I/C, and exhaust systems, essentially. Converting that to a single turbo is a pain.

Z33+ (VQ) guys usually go pseudo-twin because they get mad if z32 guys have something they don't. The ones I have seen actually still use a single intake and I/C, so it's not as complicated as the z32 setup.

#24 · (Edited)
something similar to the greddy kit offered for the 350z but not at $8K. Ive helped install one of these and dirven a car with one of these = JUST WOW! it ends up being more than $8k anyways

twin, stage 1 = 400whp (safe on stock engine), +/- $5-6k

#33 ·
so i looked at the turbonetics single for the 1st gen 350's. it's not bad... kit cost under 5K and puts the Z at 400-415 at the wheel. better than our SC options for 9K. i would entertain a single turbo for 5-6 grand that put me around 425 whp. i know for sure that we can't use the stock manifolds tho with the cat welded in like that. who are you looking to develop the kit with?

#37 ·
you can have mine..storing it for winter.

#39 ·
BBBBBBBBoooooooooooooooooo......ha ha ha

#43 ·
$1500 turbo kit = def ebay lol! everything is made in a 3rd world countries, with use and abuse they last about a month.

#47 ·
after viewing the web site even more they have a twin turbo set up for 2695.00
so please dont come on here trying to rip off the genesis owners

#62 ·
We do have a $1495 Universal Kit for people like obeezy85 who may have the means of fabricating & welding the rest of the components to fit, sourcing the tuning, fuel system upgrade, and performing any modifications needed for install. If there are others searching for a COMPLETE bolt on kit that would include everything needed for install, fuel system, tuning, etc, we need to hear from you! If the demand for a bolt on kit is not sufficient, we will look to other vehicle platforms where a kit is WANTED.

Thanks

ok i hope you like this hear is one from your web and it was the first one i pulled up it 1495.00 booyah :rofl::rofl:
so since this kit is 1500 it will only last a month to right damn guess its not even worth buying from you guys in the first place

TurboKits.com - Universal Turbo Kits - Turbo Any Car

oh and you guys can say what you want about ebay but Tubokits.com sells there stuff on ebay
Wow!!!!! That definitely looks like some low priced kits that obeezy found.

#50 ·
hell yeah they are and i kinda knew that this would happen thats why i looked at there web site before i made my statements got to cover all ends of it you know

#51 ·
theres a lot of your own work and parts you will have to put into these 'universal' kits. Injectors, custom manifolds, custom tuning, etcetc. I bet its cheaper just buying a "bolt on" kit for more money down.... plus less headaches!

#52 · (Edited)
X2. A universal kit is waaaay different from a bolt on kit. That universal kit will require a good bit of work and other parts to hook it up to a car.

There's also a difference between a reputable manufacturer selling on ebay and being an "ebay turbo kit". One would think that's common sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.