Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I look on FB or browse the forum I see threads about turbo upgrades and I want to do a evo 9 upgrade in the future. My only hesitation is being able to pass emmissions. Right now I have a TBE and will be getting a tune in a few days to tune the car and turn off that pesky CEL. However I still have my stock ECU and O2 housing which I will switch back in for inspection. The only thing I haven’t been able to find out about doing the turbo upgrade is will it pass a state emissions test? I know most use the BK1 O2 housing so would all I need to do is source a stock BK1 O2 housing with the primary cat and just out that in for the emissions test?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Every time I look on FB or browse the forum I see threads about turbo upgrades and I want to do a evo 9 upgrade in the future. My only hesitation is being able to pass emmissions. Right now I have a TBE and will be getting a tune in a few days to tune the car and turn off that pesky CEL. However I still have my stock ECU and O2 housing which I will switch back in for inspection. The only thing I haven’t been able to find out about doing the turbo upgrade is will it pass a state emissions test? I know most use the BK1 O2 housing so would all I need to do is source a stock BK1 O2 housing with the primary cat and just out that in for the emissions test?
You'll need the specific o2 housing from the evo kit to run that set up as well as a haltech. Idk what state you live in, but generally speaking no state likes uograded turbos for emissions.

What are your power goals?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in NC, wake county specifically. Yeah from what I keep gathering upgrading the turbo is out of the question for me due to emissions.

I would like to be around 350whp, one reason I’ve beem thinking of going meth injection. I also looked at the turbine upgrades some have done to the compressor wheel.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Your only problem will be the o2 housing, you will have to fabricate a cated one for the evo turbo, as long as the cat is there, the second o2 is not deleted in the tune and doesn't trigger the check engine light you should pass emissions (at least in NJ it would)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your only problem will be the o2 housing, you will have to fabricate a cated one for the evo turbo, as long as the cat is there, the second o2 is not deleted in the tune and doesn't trigger the check engine light you should pass emissions (at least in NJ it would)
Putting in a o2 with a cat on defeats the whole process of upgrading your turbo lol. You gotta pay to play, pick one or the other. Play it safe and don't upgrade or say fuxk it and modify it. I run a top mount setup in California and when it comes time for smog I'll either swap it or dirty smog it. That simple don't waste time and money on a catted upgraded turbo setup thats just dumb IMO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Putting in a o2 with a cat on defeats the whole process of upgrading your turbo lol. You gotta pay to play, pick one or the other. Play it safe and don't upgrade or say fuxk it and modify it. I run a top mount setup in California and when it comes time for smog I'll either swap it or dirty smog it. That simple don't waste time and money on a catted upgraded turbo setup thats just dumb IMO.

I see your point but I think what he meant was to just put the catted O2 housing on just for emissions and then take it back off once it passes. That’s what I’m doing now with my O2 housing. Just 7 bolts on and off, takes 15mins and I can pass inspection. If it was the same way with the upgraded turbo then I would go with that option. Right now though it’s looking more and more like meth injection.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I see your point but I think what he meant was to just put the catted O2 housing on just for emissions and then take it back off once it passes. That’s what I’m doing now with my O2 housing. Just 7 bolts on and off, takes 15mins and I can pass inspection. If it was the same way with the upgraded turbo then I would go with that option. Right now though it’s looking more and more like meth injection.
Even so when you get a bigger turbo and upgrade it you don't want to run it with a catted housing if you're turnes for a turbo back. A custom tune isnt like a canned tuned where it doesn't matter as much. Just not smart, you can't have both.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts

Cat is just to pass emissions, that's what we are talking about, you only run it for 3 drive cycles and you are good to pass after you pass you can take it back off, as long as you don't go around doing WOT runs there is nothing to worry abot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cat is just to pass emissions, that's what we are talking about, you only run it for 3 drive cycles and you are good to pass after you pass you can take it back off, as long as you don't go around doing WOT runs there is nothing to worry abot.
I understand that but there's no point in making something for him to pass emission for an evo setup. He just needs to keep his stock parts and swap if that's the case. Also drive cycles in these cars suck, I had to drive for 2 weeks for my cats to be ready when I smogged my car when I was just full bolt ons.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I understand that but there's no point in making something for him to pass emission for an evo setup. He just needs to keep his stock parts and swap if that's the case. Also drive cycles in these cars suck, I had to drive for 2 weeks for my cats to be ready when I smogged my car when I was just full bolt ons.

I have the Evo kit in mine and if it's a evo 9 torto it's very very tight in there, trust me you don't want to mess with it anymore once you get it in, me I can fabricate a cated o2 housing as I have all the tools and parts to do it and that's what I'll do for next July

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay thank you for the input guys. Looks like I’ll be staying stock until they do away with emissions, if that ever happens.

MW injection keeps looking better and better.

Also I just need to pass the computer part, I can get around the visual inspection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts