Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Warning: Tons of pics because:ttiwwp:
This thing is huge! Everything it came with looks very high quality.
TurboXS's customer service = A+

before:

Stock vs TXS
OEM = 5.5 lbs
TurboXS = 16.5lbs

In my friends junk filled garage. Way too much crap in there lol.

^Note: I switched the passenger side T-blot clamps around so they match the driver's side and pointed them as far up as I could. The bumper won't fit if they aren't positioned correctly.

With the bumper almost on:

^ New bumper coming soon, a truck backed into me, so the 300 bucks for a new OEM IC went toward a shiny TXS one :D

The install: Thanks to stevejohns29 :bowdown: for the writeup here , and to Jermaine for sending me the FMIC install file ON A SATURDAY! I was really surprised to see that they answered my email on a weekend. :bowdown: :bigthumbup:

The install went smoothly, the hardest part was getting the OEM IC off, it took a while to figure out that you have to pry it straight up to get it off. Also I read somewhere else on here that not much power steering fluid came out when swapping the hoses, which is complete BS. Not sure why I thought it wouldn’t come pouring out lol.. Just let them drain and buy some more fluid before you install this. I made a mess. Another tip, you have to slightly modify your bumper to get this thing to fit. My friend and I literally spent a day and a half adjusting the pipes trying to make it fit around my bumper. I even took the car to Motorsport Authority (awesome guys, awesome shop, awesome turbo V6 Gen :p) and they said I did everything right, but the pipes just went out too far. [email protected] confirmed this, so I got a Dremel.

Pics. [email protected] was extremely helpful and offered to make a new pipe to fit with the fogs, but I think a little cutting will make everything work.
Here are pics of the clearance issues before messing with the bumper:

This is with the cold side pipe hitting the bottom support arm for the fog. Passenger side does the same. So I took them out but it was still barely hitting the fog surround where that bottom fog arm was.

This is the camera stuck through the fog light hole.

You have to cut this tab and sand it down. Here's how it fits with it gone. Mark said they had to cut this off their car too.

At this point, the bumper goes on easily, and that's how I'm driving around right now, have been for like 3 weeks lol. My friends and I can't decide if it looks awesome or ghetto. Maybe a little of both lol. I was hoping to cut up the fog light and surround today but it's raining :mad:. Just a little needs to be sanded on the back of the bumper so it will have a little wiggle room in front of the core.

Cut off that tab in that same spot of the fog surround on both sides, then cut the bottom support arm off your fog assembly. Sand all that junk. Whoo! -(pics to come soon)

To TXS: Please include larger washers, these are stupidly tiny and almost fit inside the holes of the new crash bar. I bought new ones for 44 cents.

Also the TXS Type-H BOV is awesome!

The fit is kinda tight in the stock location because it is such a big valve. I’ll have MSA weld the flange on the IC pipe eventually. Now I just need a tune so that I won’t overboost and go into limp mode….

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
NICe write up!!

Side note: The proper way to not have the PS fluid empty itself out onto your garage floor is to use small lock type pliers and pinch both hoses from the PS cooler.

THEN remove the PS cooler, emptying it in a small receptacle, then install new longer hoses on the cooler BEFORE getting ready to install back on the car..

Then remove 1 of the pinched hoses from the hardline on the car, plug temporarily with finger until you can fit 1 end of the new hose on there, then repeat for second hose. Keep the new hoses bent on themselves, so the fluid rushing in doesn't spill the other side of the cooler, which isn't plugged until you remove the second OEM hose form the other hardline on the car.

I lost about 2oz of fluid tops with this method, aside form what was in the cooler.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i did this install the other day everything went on perfect. Only complaint would be it does need some larger washers for the intercooler bolts.

now i just have to sneak up to turboxs and get my S3 flash and call it a day!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
McMonopoly, I wish I would have known that lol. I had a pan ready for it to drip in, but when I got the new line on, it just went out the other end all over the floor lol. It was cold and we weren't thinking. As soon as it happened I was like "Wow how did I not see that coming?"

i did this install the other day everything went on perfect. Only complaint would be it does need some larger washers for the intercooler bolts.

now i just have to sneak up to turboxs and get my S3 flash and call it a day!
Did you cut off the tab on the bumper? Is your IC as far back as it can go on the crash bar? Mine is and I still don't see any way it would work without cutting them off. When I was at MSA, we were about to re-route all the wires down there so it could go back that extra 1/2 inch.

And hell yes on the S3 flash! I just need to save up for a clutch...

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
McMonopoly, I wish I would have known that lol. I had a pan ready for it to drip in, but when I got the new line on, it just went out the other end all over the floor lol. It was cold and we weren't thinking. As soon as it happened I was like "Wow how did I not see that coming?"
No problem, I was throwing it out so other could prevent this form happening..!!

Hope you enjoy your new FMIC!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
My FMIC is lined up flush with the new crash beam. I did not remove any tabs on mine but the bumper going back on was very tight. I have a r-spec though and I dont have fog lights. This may be the difference.

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
O that's really nice! Great write up :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
here is the pic of mine after the install. i will be taking the plastic grill pieces out very soon.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem, I was throwing it out so other could prevent this form happening..!!

Hope you enjoy your new FMIC!!
Oh I will! I can feel a difference now that it's getting warmer. Thanks for the info!

My FMIC is lined up flush with the new crash beam. I did not remove any tabs on mine but the bumper going back on was very tight. I have a r-spec though and I dont have fog lights. This may be the difference.
Yea they said the shop cars don't have fogs. It is definitely tight if you leave them on there, I'm pretty amazed that it worked that way! I'm trying to decide if I have the guts to try cutting out my fog surrounds while they're out of the car. Your car looks great! I looks like we're both TXS fans and I've got some catching up to do lol:)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I havent done mine yet, but it just looks like once you remove the factory fog light bezels the plastic pieces come out. If i do it sometime soon i will try to snap some pics.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Oh I will! I can feel a difference now that it's getting warmer. Thanks for the info!

Yea they said the shop cars don't have fogs. It is definitely tight if you leave them on there, I'm pretty amazed that it worked that way! I'm trying to decide if I have the guts to try cutting out my fog surrounds while they're out of the car. Your car looks great! I looks like we're both TXS fans and I've got some catching up to do lol:)
Yes i like there stuff, but i was running a turboxs CBE, FMIC and piping on my evo when i had it. I love there parts for the genesis and the fact they are in MD is awesome for me.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O that's really nice! Great write up :)
Thanks!

How're you guys removing the grill part in front of the FMIC? Dremel?
There is the black plastic grid like this: # that is just held in with 4 screws from the back. Then there are 3 vertical plastic strips behind there that you have to cut off. Mine were broken from the *******'s truck so I just used a small saw and didn't sand them down, it looks like crap. IDK how to make it look totally clean without using touch up paint at the base of the strips once sanded down

·
Banned
0 Posts
h\when i did my install and toke out the oem intercooler i noticed thar was nothing to hold the radeator up n place ,so how did you get yours to stay up

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah I forgot to put that in there, you have to use radiator support brackets. I got them from Beyond Redline, they had the best price that I could find. They were easy to install, you use the 4 OEM bolts that went to the IC but I had to buy new nuts for them. Sorry for the crappy pic, my camera sucks

·
Registered
551 Posts
I just left mine in...lol I would love to save weight but I think a set of lightweight wheels would make up for it ;)

·
Socal Celebrity
275 Posts
shouldn't you block the open hole, where the oem intercooler used to be?
awesome btw!

·
Registered
551 Posts
^^ I left mine in, I was not really worried about removing it. But still may do so in the future. the stock FMIC is only 5lbs. so not too much and that weight can be made up in other ways

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I had known it was only 5 lbs, I probably wouldn't have paid $65 to remove it lol. Leaving it in would make the install much shorter.

Idk about leaving the hole open. IIRC, AMS said something about needing to cover it up but I have not seen anything to fill the space. Maybe someone who knows more about that can chime in.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts