Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with their SBE from TurboXS? I got on the fwy this morning and noticed a f'd up sound. Pulled over and saw this. I live in Southern California and the car has never seen snow or road salt. I'm 100 miles inland so the salt from the beach doesn't affect me. I really hope Jermaine makes this right. I have autocross this weekend, and if this shoddy workmanship costs me $80 for the race I can't attend I'm going to be pissed.

I installed this 10-10-2010. Didn't even last 4 months.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Boostin Irresponsibly
839 Posts
ive had mine on for almost 2 months now and been nothing but happy, no problems...hope that doesnt happen to mine

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had no problems until this morning. I called Performance Race Engineering where I bought it from and they said they've never had any issues with any TurboXS product. They are working on getting it replaced. Hopefully, everything turns out alright.

ive had mine on for almost 2 months now and been nothing but happy, no problems...hope that doesnt happen to mine

·
Boostin Irresponsibly
839 Posts
yea as long as there are no scrapes around it, its an obvious workmanship error, shouldnt have a problem replacing it

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just talked to Mark at TurboXS and they are going to warranty it. YAY!! The hole is where the exhaust hanger is welded on the pipe. He said they have never had a problem with that yet. Hopefully it was just my pipe, but everyone who has one should inspect that hanger periodically for cracks.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much! I didn't know what kind of service to expect from TXS. I am happy and will be buying from you in the future.

Thanks again!!

Replacement going out today. Call tag to send your old unit back curious to see what happened to it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I will check mine tomorrow when i'm installing my GT spec exhaust. but overall I have had zero issues with any turboxs product even on my evo.

·
^not very creative.
2,383 Posts
I know this is 7 months old.... but I believe I just had my hanger on my TurboXS downpipe break off as well. I was driving down the street when my exhaust got louder all of a sudden. Then a few street lights later I hear something falling from underneath my car. I pulled over to find a hole bigger than a quarter in the downpipe. I'm assuming it's the same problem, I will be taking off the downpipe tomorrow to inspect it and take pictures.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
$10 fix at any muffler shop

·
Flame Thrower
1,124 Posts
My MXP O2 housing did the same thing on the bracket that bolts to the transmission. They were going to make me pay shipping to get another one in on warranty. Instead, I had a local welding shop cover the hole for $20...

I don't think some of these exhaust fabricators are using enough surface area on the pipe to weld the flanges. The weight isn't the issue, it is the vibration and extreme lateral engine movement (torquing/twisting due to stock motor mounts) that is breaking things.

I foresee this happening a lot more to people with increasing mileage, power and hard driving.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I will have to climb under mine and check it out since I have had it on my car since 1200miles and I have 35k now haha.

·
Flame Thrower
1,124 Posts
I will have to climb under mine and check it out since I have had it on my car since 1200miles and I have 35k now haha.
Probably wont be able to tell it until/if it actually breaks off. You certainly will know when/if it happens. Metal clanking down the hwy and your car sounding like a John Deere is hard to miss. I wouldn't even stress it until then.

·
^not very creative.
2,383 Posts
well yeah I have the car jacked up and the hanger did break off...
would it be easy for an exhaust shop to weld on a new hanger? wouldn't it be a lot less durable now though?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow it seems a pretty common problem :S Lucky today I just order the TurboXs GT Catback, also this is just happenning with the hanger of the downpipe right? or the hanger of the catback could easily break off too?

·
^not very creative.
2,383 Posts
well seems like there's just 2 of us in 7 months... doesn't seem like a lot. but we'll see as more miles are put on these cars. I'm just waiting for TurboXS to respond about this before I do anything. I'm going back to stock downpipe for now :(

·
Premium Member
15,362 Posts
next time you buy anything with exhaust that has a hanger on it, look at the hanger. one that will last will have at least a 2" leg on the hanger for the welded section.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts