Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this stuff because of all the positive reviews on here. However, when I used it last wknd, I spent 3 hours trying to remove the streaky haze it left. I followed the instructions, "apply, wait 5-10 min then remove and polish". Well when I attempted to remove it it was like I poured oil on my paint, it would only smear around. I basically had to re-wash the car in order to remove the filmy residue. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did you apply it in the sun or on a hot surface? That's typically the cause for failed detail attemps..

·
xFa
446 Posts
have you looked into clay barring your car? thats what i was referred to instead of wax..just a thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
have you looked into clay barring your car? thats what i was referred to instead of wax..just a thought.
:gc-smiley-sign-i-ag

Clay Bar is used to remove contaminates from the surface of your paint leaving your paint silky smooth. It works by gliding the clay across a wet surface of your paint. This will pick up and remove anything that protrudes from the paint.

Even though Clay Bars are abrasive, if used properly they will not mar the paint. There are Clay Bars available that will mar the paint no matter how careful you are, these are designed to remove heavy over-spray.

You will want to roll out a few clay patties flat disc shaped clay patties, spray the clay bar lubricant from the product line of choice (I use mothers for instance) Glide the clay back and forth over the wet area of the paint using little to no pressure. If the clay sticks, add more lubricant. As the clay goes over the paint you will feel and hear the clay picking up the contaminates. As it gets dirty simply turn/knead it to a clean area of the clay. Once you get it completely smooth move to next area, rinse and repeat. After you finish entire car then a good liquid wax will look amazing.

Note: Watch for things you pick up off the paint form the clay bar that may scratch the paint. Also i typically avoid using wax on anything plastic on the car. They have special products for car plastics.

Honestly this method is tedious but you get results that last for a long time.
Would also recommend a detail spray for on the go to spruce up the car after a long drive for example. Easy to carry and with a proper buffing towel and applicator can be done fast and easy in place of washes periodically too.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Toss the stuff out and start over with a quality product. I knew a guy had a black Toyota truck, used that stuff, same thing your saying, made a mess of his paint. And claying would have no effect on how the product works. Claying is simply a cleaning process and not a protection process. Visit autogeek.com they have plenty of information and step by step instructions on how to care for paint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Toss the stuff out and start over with a quality product. I knew a guy had a black Toyota truck, used that stuff, same thing your saying, made a mess of his paint. And claying would have no effect on how the product works. Claying is simply a cleaning process and not a protection process. Visit autogeek.com they have plenty of information and step by step instructions on how to care for paint.

Clay baring can have a tremendous affect. Only someone not versed in its use would state otherwise. You might want to read the website you recommended cause it shows this information in the detail section and in its own section on the very site you recommend to use. No wax will be a good wax job if the paint isn't clean underneath it. Links for this site below.

Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I know all that already, and it's your perogative, I think my polishing and waxing in my photos above speak for my knowledge and ability. And that my friend has not been clayed. Post up some photos of your ride JR.

:ttiwwp:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know all that already, and it's your perogative, I think my polishing and waxing in my photos above speak for my knowledge and ability. And that my friend has not been clayed. Post up some photos of your ride JR.

:ttiwwp:
I honestly do not know your experience with detailing and most new cars need little in the way of help to produce a mirrored surface which can be done even with spots or dust on it. The whole point of doing a claybar is to remove what your eye doesn't see along with what it does see. I am 100% positive if you tried this on your car that the clay bar would produce contaminants. My experiences is 7 years of professional detail work on autos, RV's, boats and planes. I have said what any professional would tell you is the best way to ensure you have a awesome looking ride, you have posted weblinks that verify my statements. I'll leave it at that and good luck sir!

I cant post pics as of yet. Notice post count. You can Google millions of examples anyway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Take a look at this photo..

The car is dusty and hasn't been cleaned in a week and i can still see a reflection in it clearly. Not meaning to get people upset but i don't think either of you are on the same page with your personal concerns. Streets post is stating to get everything off the car and start from a clean base is how he as a professional does it and recommends. Trackspec's position is that he didn't think he needed a clay bar cleaning and he went ahead and just polish and waxed his car. And for a new car i wouldn't expect allot of stuff on it but i am no pro at either. I have noted with a great deal of high end vehicles that are on display, at car shows for example, that they do a full clay job and then polish and waxed.

Reading the links provided i would want my car done the professional way but i am anal when it comes to my vehicles. I sure as heck wont enjoy the process as it takes allot longer than just a wax and polishing, but online pictures i pulled up on Google sure do show some night and day differences especially for cars 2-3 years old or older.

It is really a matter of preference here i think. Thanks for the information fellas.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Daweezy, it's polish first, then wax, wax is ALWAYS the final procedure. Polish, Seal, Wax.
This is freashly polished with a two step polish using Menzerna 2500 then 4500 prior to CG Balcklight and Wolfgang Fuzion.
For the record, car was "clayed last April when I bought it. As it is a second ride and garge kept and less than 2600 miles on it I felt no need to re clay it as it was not necessary prior to the polishing. Props got to LJ and Junkman.

Photos taken with Samsung S III cell phone.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Daweezy, it's polish first, then wax, wax is ALWAYS the final procedure. Polish, Seal, Wax.
:rofl: I wasn't stating to do one before the other just that both are what you were doing mate nothing more.
I am not a pro at this stuff i have it done for me. Im better off driving or mechanical work.

Cheers!

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Only bad thing about a clay bar...They take a sh*t ton of time to do properly. Which if you have to wash your car, clay them, and wax them it can take an afternoon.

If i have to wax my car in the sun i will, but i usually use the quick Wax from Meguiars, if i'm doing it in the sun, then wax at dusk to night. works out great all the time

Or wax under a carport, either works!

·
FreeStyle Fabrications
1,069 Posts
ICE is supposed to be able to be used in direct sunlight. ive never had an issue with it. you were removing the the product with a clean microfiber right?

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I think you applied too much product...

And for claying, you only have to clay if the bag test failed. Vehicles that's been in storage would most likely not need claying but always to the bag test to determine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
is there such thing as clay barring to much? I clayed and waxed my car (1st time clay barring ever..on any car) before the winter and was planning on doing another full detail once it warms up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know they take a lot of time to watch but JM's video's really do answer a lot of these questions and debates. Each to his own but wash, bag test for claying,polish M205 and/or M105, sealant,glaze and wax.Takes time but finished product is perfect IMO

·
14.3 @ 96 - Stage 1
8,764 Posts
Sometimes less is more, like everyone said maybe you went too heavy on the application

·
"Detailing Devil Dog"
1,284 Posts
I know they take a lot of time to watch but JM's video's really do answer a lot of these questions and debates. Each to his own but wash, bag test for claying,polish M205 and/or M105, sealant,glaze and wax.Takes time but finished product is perfect IMO
You are correct but drop the glaze out of your process. Glaze is used to mask what polish actually does. As the saying goes, anything worth doing is worth doing right. Doing it right does take time, from the research to the actual application.

There are those today who want instant gratification and buy worthless over the counter products to use because they don't know any better. Then there are those who want something worthwhile and actually take the time to find products that are worth the bottles they come in. I am one who is not going to waste my time and money on worthless gimmicks. I want it done right and thus, I do things the way that I do. One thing about watching the things that I do in my videos is that I take the time to PROVE that what I suggest works. That's why my videos are so long. If I didn't take that approach, my videos would be just like any other detailing videos where everything I show and say are just my opinion and based on what I say and NOT what I can prove. That's what my videos are about. What I can actually prove.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I washed, claybared, and waxed my car and it literally took the whole afternoon but it looked super clean afterwards

Only bad thing about a clay bar...They take a sh*t ton of time to do properly. Which if you have to wash your car, clay them, and wax them it can take an afternoon.

If i have to wax my car in the sun i will, but i usually use the quick Wax from Meguiars, if i'm doing it in the sun, then wax at dusk to night. works out great all the time

Or wax under a carport, either works!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts