Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a short shifter kit and got the discounted shift knob along with it.
The package came in this morning so I thought I'd go ahead and throw the shift knob on in the meantime.

This was a bit more involved than I assumed for just a knob, normally it's just screw off, screw on, done.
The TWM shift knobs are adjustable height, so there are a couple extra steps involved to get the height you want.
Of course, I took plenty of pictures. (excuse the crappy cell pics. lol)

1)First off: Packaging. 5/5
Honestly, the package I got was just about perfect.
I don't think you could ask for better packing on a product like this.

As you can see, each piece is almost vacuum sealed to the cardboard, so there is no way anything could be jostled around during shipping.
IMO this is far better than just throwing them in a box full of peanuts like most other places will do, plus NO MESS. :bowdown:

2)Next up: The Product. 4/5
The knob I ordered was the High Caliber Desert Eagle in standard Stainless finish.
This is the largest and heaviest knob that TWM offers, which was the deciding factor for me.
I do like the look and it's comfortable to grip whether you use a side or top grip style, best of both worlds IMO.

My initial impression was that it was smaller than I had anticipated, but the dimensions are laid out on their website.
It was just poor visualization on my part, I can't fault them for that.
The weight is about double that of the KPR knob, which is about double the OEM, so roughly 4x heavier than OEM.
According to their website:
Dimensions:
- 1 13/16" (46mm) in diameter
- 3" (76mm) in height
Weight:
- approx. 600 grams (1.32 pounds)

That being said, I have fairly small hands (5'5 140lbs) and this knob feels just perfect, so I now feel sorry for those with larger hands using even smaller knobs. lol
(I guess I should mention here that, with pistols, I always prefer glock, which is known for having a larger grip, so this may just be my personal preference to have things filling my whole hand, those with larger hands might be used to gripping in a different way)

Also my fault, but the knob slipped out of my hand as I was getting into my car (holding the instructions and all of the parts, slippery SS etc..) it only fell about 2ft onto my driveway, but that was enough to mar the edge of the knob slightly (adds character, right?) I'm surprised that the SS would be that soft, but it is pretty heavy.

Due to the ease of damaging the finish and slightly smaller than anticipated (when they emphasized BIG I had expected more) I still rate my experience 4/5.

3)Finally: Installation. 4/5
Installation (compared to a normal shift knob) is complicated.
Once you read through the instructions though, it's actually pretty simple in theory.
Getting the logo/pattern lined up perfectly is a little tedious though, took me about 30 minutes to set it to full down and full up for pictures (below); if you wanted to set a specific custom height, I'd guess about 30-45 minutes total time, if you are unlucky and have to redo it a few times.
The biggest time factor for me was just the amount of time it took to thread everything on and off, especially for full low, while aligning the pattern, was the worst part.
For both heights, I probably put the knob on and off around 15-20times and it takes ~30 seconds to run it all the way up/down.

Quick side note: The Jam Nut included with my kit was quite a bit different than the one pictured (instructions showed a standard nut, I got a completely round nut that had one side shaved down) It functioned the same, I just had to use vice grips instead of the open ended wrench that was called out.

All in all the install was much more difficult than your average 10-second swap, but you get A LOT of options here, so IMO that's definitely worth it, I give another 4/5.

Pictures:
My KPR knob: (sits about a half inch lower than OEM knob)

TWM HC DE - full down (slightly lower, maybe 1/4inch)

TWM HC DE - full up (much higher than OEM)

This height is great for making truly effortless shifts, that much weight so high up gives you a lot of inertia, but it's also a pretty long throw.

The height is infinitely adjustable between these heights, but if you have a pattern on you'll be limited to full rotations to keep the alignment correct.
If you had a TWM logo or blank, I wouldn't worry about the alignment so much.

:hello:

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics of the minor damage:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Looks good but the damage on it would wear away at me in the back of my mind until I replaced it. I hate installing anything "new" with flaws in/on it. :(

·
Banned
1,394 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review.

For the damage done to the shift knob when you dropped it in the driveway, looking at the pictures I'd think you would be able to remove them if you have access to a lathe. If you turn it on the lathe and use a 400 grit sandpaper on the marks, it should remove them, or most of them since it's hard to tell from the pictures. Once the sandpaper has the work done, you can use a light scotch brite pad to finish the polishing of the shift knob.

Also, a side note about the jam nut, you can still use the open ended wrench even if there is only one flat side, it works perfectly! I'm used to installing them, but it usually takes about 5 minutes for the complete installation of the shift knob. Of course, if you try different heights like you did it's longer but in the end you are sure it's installed at the height you like!

Thanks,

Frank
Team TWM Performance

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
Lucky mine should be at my house today or tomorrow I hope I didn't get the knob just the short throw!

Edit: ok so I did get mine today!!! Pretty excited ill be installing it this weekend

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
here are some pics of my kit

Attachments

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frank,
I probably could get the damage out but I'm not going to try for two reasons:
1. It adds character. lol
2. I'll probably be powdercoating the knob anyways, since I wasn't able to get the finish I wanted in a timely manner. (was sent the cheapest finish and refunded the difference)

SS will hopefully be in within a week.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
so this was just the shift knob not the STS install?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Where's the short shifter review? Lol I wanna know if its worth it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts