Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
? As the title says, I installed Ark Test Pipes yesterday (the two singles, not the H pipe) and now I have a nasty rasp during WOT from around 2,500-4,000 RPMs. I did just buy a Ferrari 456 exhaust on EBay for $400 though, so I'm hoping the crossover built into the muffler will fix the rasp? I'm guessing this was more of a "Rant and feel bad for me" post more than anything.

So feel bad for me ?

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
I just added Depo Racing test pipes to my Magnaflow exhaust last night and also got a lot of rasp. I was expecting it though. It has made me decide to eventually change out to a different exhaust because I think the restrction from the cats that the test pipes eliminate is worth it. I've wanted to go with a single exit setup anyway so this has made my decision for me. It doesn't sound terrible but still not great. Definitely not how I want it. You're not alone!

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
yes, on v6 without the H pipe you will have rasp. No, an X-pipe isn't going to help it any. The H pipe will fix it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, once I heard that Rasp I immediately went to eBay and couldn't believe someone had one for sale for $400. Bought it immediately. Hopefully it'll help. If not, guess I'll go with an H pipe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ive been researching for a while and decided to just go with an H pipe as well and modify to fit my stillen cbe before the next tuning event. i really like the sound of my exhaust now and wouldn't want to change it for more rasp either.

·
Registered
325 Posts
An H-pipe isn't the only solution. Good resonators will do the job as well. I'd argue they are the better, if possibly more expensive option. I've seen Vibrant's Ultra Quiet resonator employed on many applications, and it never fails to drastically reduce rasp and generally give a deeper, ballsier, more melodious exhaust note:

Even though it is an "ultra quiet" resonator, it's still a straight-through perforate core design. Zero restriction, flows as well as a straight-pipe:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An H-pipe isn't the only solution. Good resonators will do the job as well. I'd argue they are the better, if possibly more expensive option. I've seen Vibrant's Ultra Quiet resonator employed on many applications, and it never fails to drastically reduce rasp and generally give a deeper, ballsier, more melodious exhaust note:

Even though it is an "ultra quiet" resonator, it's still a straight-through perforate core design. Zero restriction, flows as well as a straight-pipe:

Wow, that is a significant difference. I'll definitely have to look into that option as well.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
Added it to the stock exhaust. But Ill have a local exhaust shop fabricate an exhaust around the Ferrari muffler, once it arrives.
That's the issue, it was discovered early on that the stock exhaust does not cope well with straight test pipes and I'm doubtful an H pipe would have been any better. I currently have resonated test pipes on the stock exhaust and they sound great so @StrangeLiform's point about resonators is bang on, aftermarket exhausts for the 3.8 are almost all true dual and have a combination of resonators and mufflers, so they are better suited vs. the stock exhaust to cut the rasp that straight test pipes cause.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting. Thank you for the heads up. Other than the rasp, it sounds great. But the rasp is a deal breaker for me. Sooooo, I'll update again when I get the 456 muffler installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought CNT exhaust system but after I finished, I had a little issue with the engine
1- The check turning on and it says the catalyser
2- The other one was, problems with cylinder 1

After that, the engine had a fault and the engine was vibrating, I putted back the original header but with the all other exhaust system (CNT) and the engine now is OK
Do you know guys what can be the problem?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
I bought CNT exhaust system but after I finished, I had a little issue with the engine

After that, the engine had a fault and the engine was vibrating, I putted back the original header but with the all other exhaust system (CNT) and the engine now is OK
The problem is you went full catless on a motor that hates it without researching how to do it properly.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
Take a look at the '' nitrous on GDI 3.8'' thread ,I posted the pic's of my resonators on the last page .They are Vibrant brand as are the flanges I used .The flanges , I had to grind open the I.D. before welding them in place . the final length is the same length as my 2nd cats .I have ZERO drone .The parts I used are in the GDI nitrous thread along with where to purchase these Items from and final dimensions needed for perfect fitment .

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts

I'm running headers,x-pipe ,2 vibrant resonators and CNT mufflers with a BTR tune .No issues ever .I matched/flowed PNP'ed my upper/lower manifold and a ton of other mods .

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts

You need a can tune or custom if using a full exhaust system (HEADERS ON BACK) .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Take a look at the '' nitrous on GDI 3.8'' thread ,I posted the pic's of my resonators on the last page .They are Vibrant brand as are the flanges I used .The flanges , I had to grind open the I.D. before welding them in place . the final length is the same length as my 2nd cats .I have ZERO drone .The parts I used are in the GDI nitrous thread along with where to purchase these Items from and final dimensions needed for perfect fitment .
Appreciate it :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm running headers,x-pipe ,2 vibrant resonators and CNT mufflers with a BTR tune .No issues ever .I matched/flowed PNP'ed my upper/lower manifold and a ton of other mods .
what kind of mod are you talking about, could you please give some mods?
Like someone already said, I'm sure you need some sort of ECU flash to make your engine know it is ok to run a full cat-less exhaust system. Once you get a tune on board, I'm sure your car will run fine with the system you had installed. Without that, I'm doubtful any of the mods he listed will be functional on your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts