Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came across this and although it's from 2009 so it's about the BK1 I wonder if these issues have been corrected in the BK2. I hear there are camber bolts you can get to solve the camber issue but there is also the issue with the bump stops, soft springs and bushings. Did Hyundai fixed these for the BK2?

Genesis Coupe Suspension Revealed

I'm planning to autoX in stock class and I don't want to have to do more than shock upgrade, front sway bar upgrade and camber adjustment, as more than that puts the car in Street Prepared class and if you want to be competitive then you have to go all the way with those upgrades so I'd rather stay in the stock class.

·
Premium Member
16,356 Posts
I came across this and although it's from 2009 so it's about the BK1 I wonder if these issues have been corrected in the BK2. I hear there are camber bolts you can get to solve the camber issue but there is also the issue with the bump stops, soft springs and bushings. Did Hyundai fixed these for the BK2?

Genesis Coupe Suspension Revealed

I'm planning to autoX in stock class and I don't want to have to do more than shock upgrade, front sway bar upgrade and camber adjustment, as more than that puts the car in Street Prepared class and if you want to be competitive then you have to go all the way with those upgrades so I'd rather stay in the stock class.
Cars in general are engineered to be more understeer biased.
Logic is that a car that is understeering is more predictable in which direction it is heading.

The reason why a car understeers, is because there is too much traction/grip on the rear wheels than the front.

If your suspension is stock, and the base model suspension, then I suggest putting in the base model BK1 "rear" sway bar.
It's slightly thicker and will help the car rotate more around a corner.

Bk1 suspension is actually stiffer than the bk2.

Also in drift comp cars, most of those cars don't even run front sway bars.

EDIT: If you have the BK2 ultimate/r-spec, then you will want the rear BK1 track/r-spec sway bar.

You can do all this... or just get grippier tires in the front.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,763 Posts
Personally with my Track suspension none of that article applies. Still on the OE suspension at 131k miles but no high speed unstability at all. I do have taller 50 series tires than stock. Even when I tracked it with stock and stock sized tires it was always the driver that backed off, not the car.

I went around a corner once and there was a bump in the apex of it. Popped the rear wheels right off the ground but my many years driving in snow I straightened it out like I was trying to do it. :)

My car has always pulled to the right and it's the only suspension handling issue I've ever had.

·
Advenio Pariter
4,004 Posts
I went with a larger aftermarket Garage Line rear sway bar. Between that and rigid collars I found that my Gen handled in a very neutral and seemingly linear manner. I have never been into high power, but starting with the first car I bought in 1977 it was suspension pieces. A neutral car is "more risky" but I like that feel and know how to handle the car in slick conditions. My Veloster N does not feel like it needs anything to me. This would be my first car I have not monkied with the suspension. That VN is like an amusement park ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For combined street use and auocrossing, I have gone to collars, shims, Bilstein B14 shock/spring kit, lowered by about an inch, adjustable swaybars front and rear with front set stiff and rear soft. Front negative camber -1.5 for now but will go to -2.5 for next alignment, rear camber set at -1.5. You didn't ask but for now I have gone to wider wheels and two tire sizes up to 245/40s on front and 265/40s on rear but will go up one more size and 200 wear rated tires when I need tires again. The car is fairly neutral but will go into oversteer uncontrollably if I get on it when coming out of a turn and get on it too hard too soon. The car is a 2015 3.8 Ultimate.

·
Registered
2013 Track 3.8 Tsukuba Red
10 Posts
For combined street use and auocrossing, I have gone to collars, shims, Bilstein B14 shock/spring kit, lowered by about an inch, adjustable swaybars front and rear with front set stiff and rear soft. Front negative camber -1.5 for now but will go to -2.5 for next alignment, rear camber set at -1.5. You didn't ask but for now I have gone to wider wheels and two tire sizes up to 245/40s on front and 265/40s on rear but will go up one more size and 200 wear rated tires when I need tires again. The car is fairly neutral but will go into oversteer uncontrollably if I get on it when coming out of a turn and get on it too hard too soon. The car is a 2015 3.8 Ultimate.
How do you like your Bilstein's? Also what do the shims do with the collars? I plan on doing occasional track days and mainly street driving and I am torn between the Bilstein's and BC BR coils at the moment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts