Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I've searched the forum and found a thread similar to the one I'm starting but I feel that my situation is a little different so hear me out please.

I have a 2011 3.8 Track with about 9,500 miles on it. Bought new. Babied its entire life. Always garaged. Never seen any kind of water except from hand car washes. Only seen about 500 miles of "track conditions."

I've recently started noticing that my car is giving off some kind of toxic smell after "driving." The reason I say "driving" and not driving is because today for instance, I just moved my car from the garage to the street early this morning because I was having plumbing work done in the garage. Now a few hours ago all I did was move the car from the street to the garage and in the garage I smelled whatever toxic smell I've been smelling after driving the last few times.

Others have posted about smelling "burning" on their new 1000 mile or so coupes and people claim it's from the heating of the new exhaust. I'm aware of that. However, I think my situation is a little different because my car has almost 10,000 miles on it and moving the car from the street to the garage didn't heat the metal a whole lot so I can't imagine "new exhaust" is my problem.

Description of the smell: It's hard to describe but it just smells toxic like nasty old car emissions and spray paint mixed together and it doesn't linger very long after I turn the car off. I turn the car off and it goes away fairly quickly.

Anyway, my question is has anyone else had this problem? or does anyone have any ideas about what it might be?

Thanks!

-ShorelineBlue (the color of my car)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi guys!

I've searched the forum and found a thread similar to the one I'm starting but I feel that my situation is a little different so hear me out please.

I have a 2011 3.8 Track with about 9,500 miles on it. Bought new. Babied its entire life. Always garaged. Never seen any kind of water except from hand car washes. Only seen about 500 miles of "track conditions."

I've recently started noticing that my car is giving off some kind of toxic smell after "driving." The reason I say "driving" and not driving is because today for instance, I just moved my car from the garage to the street early this morning because I was having plumbing work done in the garage. Now a few hours ago all I did was move the car from the street to the garage and in the garage I smelled whatever toxic smell I've been smelling after driving the last few times.

Others have posted about smelling "burning" on their new 1000 mile or so coupes and people claim it's from the heating of the new exhaust. I'm aware of that. However, I think my situation is a little different because my car has almost 10,000 miles on it and moving the car from the street to the garage didn't heat the metal a whole lot so I can't imagine "new exhaust" is my problem.

Description of the smell: It's hard to describe but it just smells toxic like nasty old car emissions and spray paint mixed together and it doesn't linger very long after I turn the car off. I turn the car off and it goes away fairly quickly.

Anyway, my question is has anyone else had this problem? or does anyone have any ideas about what it might be?

Thanks!

-ShorelineBlue (the color of my car)
Obviously nobody can really answer this for sure without being able to smell the smell in question here.. but I would question the gas you are using. I say this because I remember years back we accidentally pumped some bad gas and man did that smell bad going down the road... Some cars don't do well if the gas has a high ethanol content. I remember the catalytic converter in the old Toyota Carolla I used to drive in didn't react to kindly to gas with virtually any ethanol in the gas. (Most stations now sell gas containing anywhere from 10% to 25% ethanol). If the gas you used had even minute quantities of any thiols (sulfur compounds) such as ethane-thiol, or other organic compounds containing amines, amides, etc. then it will undoubtedly produce a variety of 'toxic' and odorous chemical smells. This is just one possible cause of many, but maybe it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts