Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever try a hub?

I'd like to play my ipod while charging my talkabout and cell phone, all of which have usb inputs.

I have a 1->4 hub like this:

I'm wondering if this is possible, or a bad idea in the car.

thoughts?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,299 Posts
The 5V power comes from the radio. Don't know what the current limitation is.

How about this from the stock accessory socket or from a hidden one.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
depends on how the radio handles the usb. there might some conflict with assigning a serial ID to more than one device.

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
As mentioned above, your going to need a powered one. There isn't enough power through the OEM port to deliver power to multiple sources.

I doubt the radio would handle multiple audio sources, I dont see how you could even change the audio source.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
I don't see why it couldn't "power" more than 1 device. It puts out enough juice for an external 2.5" HDD. Thats about 1/2 an amp. I have a 2.5" HDD that requires a full amp that I could try, but I can't seem to find the enclosure :p.

I'm pretty sure that it hyundai just used a 5v power conditioner circuit, so amperage shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
no worky :p.

it just grabs the music from one drive and then gives an error when it reaches the end of the last song.

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
I don't see why it couldn't "power" more than 1 device. It puts out enough juice for an external 2.5" HDD. Thats about 1/2 an amp. I have a 2.5" HDD that requires a full amp that I could try, but I can't seem to find the enclosure :p.

I'm pretty sure that it hyundai just used a 5v power conditioner circuit, so amperage shouldn't be an issue.

It "Could" power more than 1 device. But if we are talking about 3+, and depending on what the actual devices are, its a hit or miss thing.

I'm a bit rusty with USB controllers, but with PC's I think you can alter the "power output" of the usb port. This was handy when charging things through the USB. However, I don't have a clue what the power output of the USB on the GC is.

I have an odd feeling that the usb port isn't too friendly with multiple devices and stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
i already tried it.
thats why I said no worky :p

And thats why I put "power" in quotes. Issue is communication.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Heres a simple solution for you. Just cover the center 2 pins on the power only usb cables with electrical tape. If you look at the actual usb plug I am talking about the four metal strips inside it. When those center 2 pins (the data lines) are covered, the two outer pins will supply power but the car wont know anything is connected to that port and should automatically just communicate with the one that has the data pins connected. Then you will have only a single serial address seen by the car stereo and no error. Just make sure your not hooking anything with high amp draw to it. I am going to do the same thing with a splitter cable to charge my phone, gps and connect a flash drive for music. I chose the flash drive for the low current draw, I wouldnt recommend connecting multiple devices with an actual hard drive. You could also actually open the cable up and snip and tape up the white and green wires for a more permanent solution, but you will never get data through the cable again. If you short them you may end up over drawing current. Not sure though.

·
Never go full retard
266 Posts
How are you guys playing your ipod through the usb? I have tried this and it always tells me "no song" so i have to go through 3.5 jack.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How are you guys playing your ipod through the usb? I have tried this and it always tells me "no song" so i have to go through 3.5 jack.
I'm using the iPod adapter from the factory, it takes the iPod plug and splits it into a USB and 3.5 jack which both have to be plugged in. The USB is used for charging and controlling the iPod (reading track data, sending input commands) and the iPod is outputting via the 3.5 jack.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
the ipod cable has a usb connection and a 4 pole 3.5 mm jack that works with the usb for power and comm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I now have the ultimate solution for those wishing to charge cell phones and have a usb data storage device plugged in for music. This would be useful for those of you with ipods as well.

By one of these (
) they are only $2.89! with free shipping). The little black case can be seperated by pulling it apart by hand. On the end of the circuit board that has the 4 usb connectors you will find each connector has 4 wires going to it from the circuit board. Go through and cut the 2 data wires (green and white) for 3 of the sets of 4 wires going to the USB connectors. You now will have power only on those 3 and the other port will still carry data. Tuck the wires back in, snap the casing together and connect your usb drive to the uncut usb connector and your chargers etc to the other 3 and you are good to go. Just did this and connected a 4 gig jumpdrive and listened to music while charging my cell phone, gps and electric cigarette. Frigin' sweet!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
a usb hub will "charge" all you devices.

its just the stereo will ONLY access data off of 1 device.

I quoted charge, because power is distributed in parallel, meaning that the amperage is divided by the number of devices hooked up to the hub +1 (hub is a device, and draws power).

This means, it the usb port is wired for only 1 amp (which almost all USB devices draw at the most) and you plug in the hub plus a flash drive and the draw the same amount of amperage on the same load, then each device is only drawing 500 milliamps at most.

I don't really see this being a problem, unless you charge a bunch of phones and/or have a HDD plugged in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts