Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am driving down a straight road and my steering wheel centered the car will go to the right. In order to drive straight I have to turn the wheel a little bit to the left. This just started happening and probably because of the horrible road right outside my apartment. I know my alignment is off but do you know exactly what is off? Don't really feel like paying $50-$75 dollars for an alignment so if you guys can tell me what I need to adjust that'd be great. Is it possibly uneven caster?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,445 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
R.R. is correct, a good collision shop might be able to correct the castor without tension rods by slightly bending or pulling a few things using specialized hydrolic equipment. Another quick check would be to swap the front tires left to right temporarily (Yes the direction or rotation will be wrong),just to see if it changes,this might indicate it's just a tire problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is I get the tension rods any tips on how to get close to the correct adjustment? I'm assuming out of the box they aren't going to be close to what I want lol.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,445 Posts
Not really. I know they are almost completely collapsed when installed.

What I did is measure from the tire to the back of the fender liner but that can vary if the fender liners are not square. So, I would install them, making sure the tie rod is at a right angle to the hub (no angle compared to the steering rack. Then get an alignment. My guy could not adjust the rods live. So I just had him align it, and it still pulled a bit, then went under the car and pulled the right wheel just a bit more forward, trial and error..

Another and free possibility is to loosen the subframe bolts, remove the two side subframe bolts, then smooch the subframe just a bit forward on the side it's pulling to. I have never tried this though on the gen Coupe. It is how I adjusted caster on a front wheel drive car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts