Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to replace my secondary cats with Vibrant resonators and curious about what others have done, the rest of the exhaust will be stock. Would you suggest the ultra quiet ones or the standard bottle type ? And also, did you use the Vibrant flanges ? Thanks for any info.

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
I did a write up on the part #'s for vibrant flanges and resonators I ordered from summit racing,you will have to open up (grind )the flanges I.D. a little to fit over the vibrant's resonator opening at either end before establishing install length and final weld up .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll find that thread and go from there.

I did a write up on the part #'s for vibrant flanges and resonators I ordered from summit racing,you will have to open up (grind )the flanges I.D. a little to fit over the vibrant's resonator opening at either end before establishing install length and final weld up .

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
Thanks, I'll find that thread and go from there.
It is in the nitrous 3.8 GDI thread and I believe maybe in another thread as well,check my thread/post history.

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
Pic's of resonator/flange on page 16 of the nitrous 3.8 GDI thread I believe .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed the Vibrant 1792 resonators with Summit flanges, install went pretty good, exhaust note pretty much the same at idle but sounds better under acceleration and decel, no rasp at all.

Reactions: shorttrack

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
If keeping your cats you should remove the studs in them so as to be able to re-install them if needed without having to move the cat back system .

·
Registered
509 Posts
Installed the Vibrant 1792 resonators with Summit flanges, install went pretty good, exhaust note pretty much the same at idle but sounds better under acceleration and decel, no rasp at all.

I just did this, and got the exact same result, except to add I’m running a Magnaflow as well. The rasp is gone (praise Jesus!) and the exhaust note under acceleration is just what I was hoping for. Vibrant 1792 and Vibrant flanges. Custom fabrication by Crucial Motorsports in Apopka, FL. Installation was a breeze.

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
I just did this, and got the exact same result, except to add I’m running a Magnaflow as well. The rasp is gone (praise Jesus!) and the exhaust note under acceleration is just what I was hoping for. Vibrant 1792 and Vibrant flanges. Custom fabrication by Crucial Motorsports in Apopka, FL. Installation was a breeze.

Good job !

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’m very interested in pairing these resonators up with my Borla CBE. Question for you guys: I noticed the diameter of these resonators is 2.5in which pairs perfectly with the stock exhaust. But the Borla’s piping diameter is 2.25in. Would this still work or would I be better off finding a set of resonators a quarter inch smaller?

I’m looking for something to increase the volume and make the tone a bit deeper on my exhaust, but at the same time, I don’t want to do anything that will either negatively affect performance, or risk getting an exhaust leak as a result of trying to pair parts that are different sizes. What do you guys recommend? I’m kind of a newbie to cars so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Factory exhaust is 2.25”, and Vibrant makes resonators in that diameter. I think the number is 1790.

It didn’t change the tone very much on my Magnaflow, but under acceleration it’s clearly noticeable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was under the impression that the stock exhaust is 2.5in and that the mid pipes or “down pipes” as a lot of people refer to them as are the only part that is 2.25in. By now, with my set up, the only part of my exhaust that isn’t 2.25in are the secondary cats.

This is why I was considering either switching them out for Magnaflow’s 2.25in cats for the bk1 and seeing if they fit my bk2 or going with the vibrant resonators. Test pipes are sorta out of the question for me at this point because I’m looking to avoid the rasp, so the only option would be to find a set of Nameless’s resonated TP’s if anyone has a pair still laying around.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was under the impression that the stock exhaust is 2.5in and that the mid pipes or “down pipes” as a lot of people refer to them as are the only part that is 2.25in. By now, with my set up, the only part of my exhaust that isn’t 2.25in are the secondary cats.

This is why I was considering either switching them out for Magnaflow’s 2.25in cats for the bk1 and seeing if they fit my bk2 or going with the vibrant resonators. Test pipes are sorta out of the question for me at this point because I’m looking to avoid the rasp, so the only option would be to find a set of Nameless’s resonated TP’s if anyone has a pair still laying around.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would match your resonators to your CBE. If Borja is 2.25”, that’s what I’d use, unless you plan on changing it out for something 2.5” in the future. Either way, the resonators should do the trick.

·
Registered
146 Posts
And since the resonators will be replacing the cats, should I expect to get the same pops and crackles that test pipes give you? I like the pops and crackles, but the rasp was what kept me away from test pipes in the past.

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
No popping when resonators are installed ,at least not on my build .

·
Registered
509 Posts
And since the resonators will be replacing the cats, should I expect to get the same pops and crackles that test pipes give you? I like the pops and crackles, but the rasp was what kept me away from test pipes in the past.

Mine pops and crackles on decel. But then I heel/toe downshift at every stop.

Every. Stop.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I’m trying to figure out how to mount my daughter’s GoPro on my rear bumper so I can properly document the results, but I haven’t worked it out yet.

Also, call Greg Lister at the Vibrant tech line and give him your specs and see what he thinks. I talked to him before pulling the trigger and everything he told me worked out as we discussed. It would be worth your time, I think. I just emailed him a thank you note last week so he may even remember the conversation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you paired the resonators up with your Magnaflow CBE, wouldn’t that mean you have 2 resonators now? The one that comes with the catback and now the ones you put in place of the secondary cats? My Borla didn’t come with a resonator, just a muffler and even with my cats still on I get the occasionally pops and crackles.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts