Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just installed the Megan Trans mount to my 2012 3.8l.

I immediately noticed more vibration on startup, which I wasn't expecting reading reviews. It feels like what it would feel like if I did motor mounts. Can anyone confirm if this is normal?

I feel vibrations all the way up the revs, even if it's in neutral. The mount feels good on my first drive but definitely not expecting vibration. I'm cool with it as long as that's normal.

I may have to do it all again and toss in the stock mount to make sure the vibration goes away and then throw the Megan back in. I can't see how it's possible I wrecked anything? I supported the Trans with my Jack, went a pump after I saw it move to make sure I had its weight. Then removed and reinstalled. My motor mounts to look fine.

Any ideas? I'm worried to drive it ATM.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't imagine you could mess anything up with the install. My guess would be depending on how many miles you had on the previous mount it may have been completely shot and this one being stiffer already seems massively different.

Or maybe they changed the durometer and it's stiffer than it was for previous models. Regardless I think you should be fine as long as all of the bolts/nuts are properly installed.

I installed mine on my 2013 with 36k miles and noticed a slight increase in vibration but nothing terrible. But to be fair I had some shitty loud exhaust the previous owner put on so that may have drowned some of it out.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! It's definitely stiffer than it was because it's Megan vs. Stock (like insanely noticeably stiffer). My car only has 62,000 kms on it. I guess I'm curious if either:

Motor mounts
- maybe they were not good before but I didn't notice them, because the Trans mount was softer
- maybe going 1 pump of a jack after seeing contact with the Trans broke the mounts a bit (doubtful, right?)

Or

- I tightened the bolts to the mount when the transmission was still supported (1 little pump higher than where it sat unsupported, but the same height as when I loosened the bolts) and its just a bit off balance?

Again, I didn't think much could go wrong in this process so I'm a bit confused.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the motor mounts are ok. If the transmission was still raised during tightening of the bolts there may be a slight chance that while although the bolts snugged up, they may have been not been tight. However I would think that would make more of a noise than a vibration.

But for future reference I believe the final 4 nuts should be torqued down with the transmission resting on the cross member.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, thank you, I may adjust that then. I snugged the 4 nuts up that bolt the mount to the cross member again after lowering, but they didn't budge.

I know lots of members have the mount, I'll see if any post here letting me know if it's normal before I go too crazy. I don't know if a stiffer Trans mount should make vibration all the time regardless of neutral or clutch in or whatever. I noticed it immediately on 1st startup. It's not rattle your mirrors more vibration, but pretty close. Like I say, noticeable for sure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds good, hopefully you get it figured out! Also if you haven't done them already and are looking for better shifter feel I recommend the shifter bushings, especially the rear one.

Also to majorly help 1st to 2nd shifter feel I recommend the highly controversial engine leash thing. It sounds stupid but it really makes a huge difference in shifter feel without a lot of added noise and cost. I rolled the dice on it and it has been one of the best things I think I've done.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx. Already have a garage line SS with Atq front and rear shift bushings. I agree! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But like... Enough to notice it in my seat, steering wheel and shifter considerably? And should it be transferring vibration even with clutch disengaged (clutch in).

·
Been there, but forgot it
161 Posts
I really didn't notice any change when I put mine in. Maybe there was some, but not enough for me to notice or think about it.
I wonder if your engine is running poorly, and this change makes that more obvious?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My engine seemed to be running just fine. For the vibration I'm feeling it would have to be running quite awful, and I still have all my power. I'm getting about 1/2 people saying it's normal, and others saying they didn't notice any vibration, which is still making me unsure. May just have to throw the old mount in to make sure it's still normal, then put the Megan back in and let it "settle" for a few hundred miles like some are suggesting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In all honesty I don't think you really could've messed anything up. I would assume you're fine. Is the vibration through the rpms what you would expect? Is it particularly bad at any specific rpm?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it's particularly bad in lower rpm. 2000 rpm is about the worst. Idle is smooth. Higher rpm seem to smooth out a little bit. I honestly don't think I could screw anything up either, but since some people didn't notice any vibration I'm a bit confused cause I'm definitely feeling a noticeable amount. Just debating leaving it for a few hundred miles to settle like some are suggesting it needs, or if I put the stock mount back in to verify nothing else seems broken, and then put the Megan back in. Can't tell if I'm being crazy and just need to wait, or if I should verify and make sure nothing else went wrong during the install like flexing a motor mount or something. I'm grasping at straws because I have heard so many say no extra vibration.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, my car shakes like a mofo at 2k to 1.5k rpms especially since I have the torque solutions exhaust hangers, Megan Trans mount, and the engine leash. It's especially bad on revving down from a downshift. I think it's pretty normal. Does the car seem to run good otherwise?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the car seems to be running fine otherwise, I can feel the mount helping. With the vibration I guess I'm only concerned about two possibilities:

- I bolted the trans mount to the chassis cross member when the trans was still supported (1 pump higher than where it sat naturall) and maybe something is off balance, it really feels like an unbalanced vibration

- I'm going through my head about where I jacked the car up from initially, I may have used the bottom of the motor mount instead of the suspension cross member, but I would've been on the Frame steel still. Is it possible I flexed the motor mount?

I know I'm talking about hypotheticals. I should probably put the stock mount back in and verify that everything feels normal. Then put the Megan back in and bolt it up when the weight of the trans is resting on the Cross member.

·
Registered
85 Posts
-unless you bolted up the transmission insanely crooked (which I don't remember if that is even possible) your guibo joint (flex disc) should take up whatever misalignment you have.

-as far as the engine mounts, as long as you didn't jack up the whole car by the engine you should be fine. The engine mounts are a filled rubber mount and are allowed to flex quite a bit before failure.

Put the old one back in for piece of mind. But I wouldn't sweat it too much. There's only so much a piece of rubber can break.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really appreciate the peace of mind on this. I can't see anything I did causing a major issue. I didn't flex anything too much, I'm quite sure. Most people are saying it's fine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts