Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys and girls. I got my coupe about a week and a half ago, and have noticed that on the highway I get a rumble coming from the rear of the car. It is like a low pitched vibration/rumble that only occurs when you hold a steady speed or decelerate. If I give it some gas, the noise goes away. I tried to downshift into fifth to see if it was anything to do with the engine RPM, but no change. Has anyone run into this yet, and if so, what was the outcome? Thanks a lot in advance!

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Assuming by the name we got another Texas coupe, congrats.

You can try rotating tires left to right and see if that make any difference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's a tire issue. It's way too low pitched to be a tire unless it's a belt issue. It's more of a constant rumble than a shake. No, it's not in the steering wheel, it's coming more from the rear of the car.

Crooked H, yes, I am in Texas, and thanks for the congrats. So far, I love the car. I just need to get this little issue ironed out, and all will be well.

·
Premium Member
14,904 Posts
I don't think it's a tire issue. It's way too low pitched to be a tire unless it's a belt issue. It's more of a constant rumble than a shake. No, it's not in the steering wheel, it's coming more from the rear of the car.

Crooked H, yes, I am in Texas, and thanks for the congrats. So far, I love the car. I just need to get this little issue ironed out, and all will be well.
Yeah. I'm getting vibration around 70-80 mph. its starts around there, but it DOESN'T get worse, going any faster. The vibration feels more like as if something grinding (NOT saying that there is grinding) I've driven my jeep with an unbalanced wheel. Its not that :p.

Not really a concern since I don't usually see those speeds. Hopefully it will go away :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am taking mine to a friend at the dealer on Thursday. I'll let you know what he says. Hopefully, it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
303 Posts
every car has a highway speed at which its natural frequency resonates with the air flowing over and around it. how violent is this vibration? you might just be a little oversensitive, and it's a little bit disorienting if you've never experienced it before, but this typically occurs between 60 and 85 for most cars i've driven/ridden in. if you don't like it, try cruising above or below that speed. it should only happen within about a 3mph range

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
every car has a highway speed at which its natural frequency resonates with the air flowing over and around it. how violent is this vibration? you might just be a little oversensitive, and it's a little bit disorienting if you've never experienced it before, but this typically occurs between 60 and 85 for most cars i've driven/ridden in. if you don't like it, try cruising above or below that speed. it should only happen within about a 3mph range
Wow... that's a new one on me. You're telling me that these cars have a magic speed at which harmonic vibration occurs due to the shape of the car? I think not. This is something mechanical. I have driven and owned many other cars and have never had this issue (including many other sports cars). Thanks for the input anyway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Chances are what you are hearing is a combination of wind noise, tire noise, and engine resonance. The Potenza tires that come stock on the coupes are quite noisy at high speeds. It could also be transmission and driveline NVH (Noise, Vibration, Hum). It's not uncommon to hear transmission whine at those speeds, since the Genesis uses thin transmission fluid.

I'm sure the dealer will found it if its a major issue though. Good luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
every part in the car has a natural frequency that can resonate with the engine/gearbox at a specific speed. therefore, it could feel like something mechanical, but might not actually be. that being said, the fact that you are an experienced car owner, and that nobody seems to have said "hey me too, that's normal" leads me to believe that, even if it's a resonance issue, it's probably something that should NOT be resonating. if it "feels mechanical", it probably is, and you should trust your instinct. don't mess around with an issue at high speeds, especially with such a good warranty to fall back on

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The more I think about it, the more I think it could be the tires. If it was gear-lash, it would be more of a higher pitched whine. Same with the tranny. I just want the diamond certified tech and Hyundai to tell me all is well.

·
Premium Member
14,904 Posts
Mine happens anywhere above 70-80ish mph all the way to 120 mph (fastest I've gotten it:p). It doesn't get any worse. Its just there :p.

I've gotten my 93 jeep up to around 100 mph (speedo only goes up to 85 lol). and know what wind noise is (like pushing a brick though water, in my jeep :p lol).

The high pressure zone at the base of the windshield would translate any wind noise into the cabin and would be easily identified if it was actually wind noise. With the vibrations that I'm getting, it like about 3 to 7 osollations per sec, which if it was a body panel, would make me believe that its a fairly thin piece of plastic somewhere, which I doubt that it actually is :p.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok... So the dealer seems to think it's either a driveshaft or a rear axle. They are going to talk it over with the regional rep and let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T and I have a same rear vibration.
Do you have any news from your delear ? Do you still have the problem ?

I will contact my delear soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My delear found the problem. It was the drive shaft that was unbalanced.
My delear changed it and now I don't have vibrations anymore.

Great new :)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts