Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone been awhile since I’ve posted on here but I have a problem that I can’t get rid of and am in need of some insight. Around 2-3 months ago I developed a vibration in my 2010 genesis coupe 3.8 GT, the car is lowered on ISR coil overs and has a small amount of camber from being lowered. The inside part of my tires were worn more than the outside, so I went ahead and replaced the tires. I decided on Yokohama YK740’s for the front and Yokohama advan sport A/S+ for the rear (since they didn’t have the YK740’s for the rear). This didn’t fix the issue. A friend who has the same car told me they had a similar issue and replaced both driveshaft couplers and that fixed it, so i did the same and replaced the couplers with OEM one’s. This didn’t fix the issue, but it did help some. So i thought that the center support bearing or u-joint may be bad so i took it to a shop to take a look at it but they told me it looked fine and under load the driveshaft didn’t have any significant vibration. So that’s wasn’t it either

after some driving/testing, i noticed the vibrations starts around 40mph and stay consistent to about 60mph. After 65mph to 80mph i can hear a rumble coming from the rear, most noticeably, the rear passenger wheel. so i checked the tire Again and it looked fine, i grabbed the tire at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock position and rocked it to see if there was any play, and there was. So i decided to have a shop replace the wheel hub and there is still some play. when I got home i jacked the car up and looked at all the bushings, control arm and ball joint but didn’t notice any play or any looseness. So I’m at a loss at what’s causing it and I’m not sure where else to look, maybe a bad axle? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

TL;DR
i have a vibration, most notably in the rear, that i can get rid of. I’ve replaced:
-both driveshaft couplers
-all 4 tires
-rear passenger wheel hub
-had wheels re-balanced after initial replacement.

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,101 Posts
I had the top control arm bolt to the body that kept coming loose. Didn't cause vibration but sure kept throwing the pass rear tire camber off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got under the car yesterday and cave the control arms and tie rod a good pull and shake, didn't notice any loose ends or noise. Just when i rock the wheel side to side, there's a very slight amount of play with a knocking noise. I just got home from work and it happens to be raining, I'm going to get some sleep and double check everything when I wake up. Maybe I'll record a video on my phone and post it here for better clarification

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,101 Posts
I only noticed mine as I put a tire on it and tightened it down a bit. It would rock top to bottom. It has come loose before so I loctited it this time. So far so good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: so i took my car to discount tire to get my tires road force balanced, and afterwards they told me the wheels were only slightly off and that they balanced fine. Got on the road and now the vibration seems worse 🙃. Might just be a placebo effect since there is play on rear passenger wheel that i know about.

Got home and took that wheel off and looked at control arms, ball joints tie rod, etc. And everything is tight and there's no play. I did notice there is only play coming from the wheel, because when it's off, the rotor, caliper and everything else is is solid. I'm thinking it might be out of round. Gonna get my stocks and put them back on to see if that changes anything.

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,101 Posts
If there is any play when you wiggle it with the wheel on then it's not the wheel causing that unless the lugs aren't tight. If any side to side motion with the wheel mounted and the hub/rotor/shield not moving, then that's in the hub.

So you really need to see where the wiggle stops.

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,101 Posts
Could be the axle being a CV jointed type. I had a bad one on my Accent, I let it idle, in gear jacked up off the ground. You could really see the wobble in it as it turned.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am having the exact same issue with a low millage 26k BK2 3.8 2013, high frequency vibrations from 55mph and worsens with speed from that. Everyone is telling me its the tires and I am working on replacing the wheels and tires. I just bought mine and it has 2 years of guaranty so I will come to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am having the exact same issue with a low millage 26k BK2 3.8 2013, high frequency vibrations from 55mph and worsens with speed from that. Everyone is telling me its the tires and I am working on replacing the wheels and tires. I just bought mine and it has 2 years of guaranty so I will come to the bottom of it.
Good luck with tires, i bought brand new Yokohama YK740 and Advan sports and it didn't fix my issue. Hopefully it does for you. A little update, i took the car to another shop and they had me take the tech on a test drive. He says that he thinks that wheel bearing i replaced is bad, and both my upper control arms need to be replaced.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good luck with tires, i bought brand new Yokohama YK740 and Advan sports and it didn't fix my issue. Hopefully it does for you. A little update, i took the car to another shop and they had me take the tech on a test drive. He says that he thinks that wheel bearing i replaced is bad, and both my upper control arms need to be replaced.
I am following this post, I will not have any updates within 2 weeks, since the wheels I ordered.... ok here is the whole story:
I bought a bone stock Genesis 3.8 BK2 2013 AT8 low mileage, now what? | Hyundai Genesis Forum (gencoupe.com)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had years of issues with vibrations and was throwing parts at it. Tires, hubs, rims, etc. One hub was actually bad and tires/rims helped the issue but it was never 100% solved. Lowered on springs and Bilstein struts, 2010 3.8 GT fyi. Needed 4 new tires recently and was determined to fix the problem. Had my regular mechanic mount and balance, it vibrated still. There were a lot of weights on the rims so I figured they did not do it well. Went to some chain place that had a road force balancer, vibrated still. Still a good amount of weights on the rims. Had a reputable racing shop align and re-road force balance everything, no more vibration FINALLY. Very few weights on the rims. Obviously from the sound of it you may be dealing with other issues if there’s play, but just wanted to share my experience with shops unable to properly balance the tires. From browsing other posts on here it does seem like this car is more prone to vibrations from slight wheel imbalances.

·
Registered
2013 Track 3.8 Tsukuba Red
15 Posts
Take it to a shop and have it road forced properly (have the tire and wheel clocked correctly to have as little road harshness feed back), and ask if they see if the wheel is bent, usually most vibrations I have seen that vary in speed is something rotating and the oscillation/ harmonics sync up well enough to exaggerate whatever is messed up, have had it be bent wheels, tire, rotor runout, and hubs

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the vibration during acceleration only?
sorry for such a late reply, but it is during acceleration and deceleration, it does feel worse as the car decelerate thouugh. Took it to another shop, they said both rear upper control arms are bad and that rear passenger wheel hub is bad, although, i just replaced that like 3 weeks ago, so i dont see how its bad again. Could be a dud from factory.

·
Registered
90 Posts
sorry for such a late reply, but it is during acceleration and deceleration, it does feel worse as the car decelerate thouugh. Took it to another shop, they said both rear upper control arms are bad and that rear passenger wheel hub is bad, although, i just replaced that like 3 weeks ago, so i dont see how its bad again. Could be a dud from factory.
K1NG can this be of help in diagnosing your issue?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
K1NG can this be of help in diagnosing your issue?
This is what I thought it was too, but all the shops I've taken it to said the driveshaft was fine. I also have a vibration app on my phone and it seems to be pointing at a wheel/tire issue. But my wheels aren't bent, and the tires are only about 2-3 months old

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is what I thought it was too, but all the shops I've taken it to said the driveshaft was fine. I also have a vibration app on my phone and it seems to be pointing at a wheel/tire issue. But my wheels aren't bent, and the tires are only about 2-3 months old
What app you use now? I need to start diagnosing my issue if the wheels/tires dont fix my issue

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am not an mechanical engineer but IT guy, but we sometimes try to narrow down the point of cause, by trying if we can replicate the problem somewhere else.
If you fit the wheels on a different car, do the vibrations follow? Yes/No ok we know the cause is the wheels, or we can conclude its not the wheels.

Trying stuff like this is obvioulsy easier in IT but, this is all I can help with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What app you use now? I need to start diagnosing my issue if the wheels/tires dont fix my issue
It's called shimmy diagnoser on the app store, it was like $18 i think.
I am not an mechanical engineer but IT guy, but we sometimes try to narrow down the point of cause, by trying if we can replicate the problem somewhere else.
If you fit the wheels on a different car, do the vibrations follow? Yes/No ok we know the cause is the wheels, or we can conclude its not the wheels.

Trying stuff like this is obvioulsy easier in IT but, this is all I can help with.
I have tried something like this. The wheels i have on the car now have been on even before the vibrations started, they are work varianzas so they aren't cheapo wheels, but just to rule it out, i tried out my old stock Genesis wheels snd the vibrations were pretty much the same

1 - 20 of 29 Posts