Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

221 - 227 of 227 Posts

·
wag um
519 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I also have the same problem but i haven't been to the dealer about it yet. When i get over 60 the steering wheel vibrates pretty good. When i get to 80 or more it goes away but by then i'm breaking the law... it makes driving the car on the highway intolerable.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Without reading the threads posted, if you've already gone down the 'road force' balanced, tires remounted on the wheels to match "high" to "low," do you have after market wheels? If so they may not be fully hub centric.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
I had this issue with my aftermarket rims after the dealership rotated the wheels, got it resolved thanks to a few posts in this thread pointing to the hub rings.

Guys at the dealership just took the wheels off, cleaned and remounted the hub rings and put the wheels back on. Issue resolved, no charge.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Without reading the threads posted, if you've already gone down the 'road force' balanced, tires remounted on the wheels to match "high" to "low," do you have after market wheels? If so they may not be fully hub centric.
I had that problem with my XXR's. Thankfully buying Hub rings isn't too expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but just in case it helps anyone I'll go ahead and post my experience with this issue.

I purchased my 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 MT on December 2016. From the day I bought the vehicle I noticed the same vibration at highway speeds between 75mph and 85mph or so. I did not think too much of it since I noticed that the car had 4 different brand tires with different thread patterns (which were not brand new but still had some life in them), in addition to having the same size all around rather than the stock off set. So I decided to eliminate all easy possibilities before getting too serious about the problem. Fast forward to 2019, by this time I purchased four new tires of the same brand and restored the tire selection to stock off set specs. In addition, I did a wheel balance as well as an alignment. Just to make sure I eliminated that. I was able to have access to a lift and discovered that the flex discs that go on the drive shaft were cracked (particularly in the rear before the rear diff). I purchased new ones and had those installed by, I will admit, a questionable repair shop. The car still drives with no decrease in vibration (I was confident that this would have fixed the issue).

I decided to drop it off at the dealership and pay the $145 for them to find out what the problem was so I can hone in and come up with a repair plan. They had it all day yesterday, they called me back at the end of the day and said the car drives normal with no vibration. There is no way they did not notice such an annoying performance. I asked if they took it at 70mph+ like I requested. The mechanic tells me no, that he was told to drive above 40mph, so he stayed on the feeder.....
They did invite me to return to the dealership and have the mechanic join me, great idea, so I returned to the dealership and took the mechanic for a joy ride. He acknowledges the vibration and agrees that it is pretty bad. He also agrees with my thought that it comes from the rear. Particularly from the driveshaft/propeller shaft or the rear differential. They keep my car. I get a call towards the end of the day today and I decide to pick it up. This is the message on my paperwork from the mechanic:

"Inspect System, found drive shaft bushings to have been replaced and not installed properly. Installed bolts and torque to specs. Road tested and found vibration still present at 75mph. Found internal rear differential failure causing abnormal vibration throughout."

They told me the solution would be to replace the rear differential completely but that due to the age of the car, the differential would probably not be readily available and would have a long estimated time of arrival if they were to order it or they may have trouble finding one altogether. Though they do not generally install parts that customers bring themselves, they did offer that, should I find a LSD Rear Diff, they would talk to a manager and make the exception to install it. (Such as finding a used one or getting one online).

I did a little bit of research on this matter and found that I was, so far, unable to locate a pre-owned LSD Rear Diff that is compatible with my vehicle. The cheapest new OEM one I could find was $1,520.

Just to note that with the small change they made, it did decrease the vibration by MAYBE 10%, but it is still very apparent.

221 - 227 of 227 Posts