Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just picked up my 2010 2.0t and got on the highway and just over 100 km/h you can feel the vibration. Going back in tuesday as service department was closed by then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Finally making some progress!! I took the car in this morning and took the Service Manager (Michael) and a platinum Tech (Allan) out for a drive. They finally admit there's a problem. The Tech commented that he had seen some issues with exhaust vibrations on 2.0 Coupes but he could feel that mine was different. I gave him the service manual exerpt that Jack so kindly provided us so I think that is where they're starting. But Michael still seems to think that the problem may not be covered by Hyundai because it's occuring over the legal speed limit. So let's wait and see what they say. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Not really in Midtown
54 Posts
Azy, did you get my text message about the Tennessee Lemon Law? You may still be covered.

I hate to say that even for those that have had the propeller shafts replaced, unless the reinstallation procedure was followed to the letter, your condition may not have been properly addressed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Jack. Yes I originally logged the issue with Hyundai on July 13th 2009...one week after I got the car. And the dealer should have record of my complaints from December 2009. From the TN Lemon Law perspective, would the fact that this vibration is occuring over 70mph be an issue?

·
Not really in Midtown
54 Posts
Speed limit, schmeed limit, tell him you've got a trip planned out West through Colorado, Idaho, Texas, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Utah where the speed limits range from 75-80 mph on freeways. You will want to be able to safely operate your vehicles on their roads at the posted speed limits. That's the biggest BS excuse I've ever seen and I would sincerely hope that this is the only reason that Hyundai/Skelton can come up with for not addressing the problem. If so, it'll me a marketing nightmare for HS locally and Hyundai nationally.

I don't consider myself an expert on Tennessee Lemon Law. But, the manufacturer is on notice of the problem and under the law, they have to be given 3 opportunities to cure.

All that must occur is that the condition must "substantially impair" the vehicle. In the law, substantial impairment means to render a motor vehicle unreliable or unsafe for normal operation, or to reduce its resale market value below the average resale value for comparable motor vehicles.

Here is where it gets sticky: under the law, the substantial impairment must occur within one year of delivery or within the term of the warranty, whichever occurs first. :( However, the period of enforcement is one year from delivery or within 6 months of the expiration of warranty, whichever occurs last!:rofl:

Your impairment occurred within the one year period after delivery, so you've met the first test. Your enforcement period is 5 years plus 6 months from delivery, so you met that test as well. The law appears to be unclear whether they must have the opportunity on 3 occasions within the first year to correct the impairment. As a consumer, I like your side!

I'd start talking Lemon Law to them if they do not get it corrected this time. I believe that you might have signed an agreement to arbitrate with them as part of the purchase package. That will not impair your rights under the law though. It just keeps it out of court.

Here's a link to the Consumer Affairs Division for the State of Tennessee. This is where I got most of the information from: Consumer Affairs Division - The Lemon Law

Keep me abreast of what they do/say. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Jack. This is actually the 4th time the car is going back so they have in fact had 3 attempts before the 1st year was up; however, this is the first time they acknowledge there's a problem so matbe there's hope yet. I'll give them every opportunity to fix it...they can even have all the time they need because it's a Sunday car.

The last thing I want to do is litigate but now that I'm armed with the facts and I know my rights, all options are on the table if they try to do me over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question about vibration issue.

I have the 2010 base 3.8 with ZF auto transmission and not the TORSEN diff. The main problem I have had with the car is that when you first drive in the morning, regardless of temperature, the car feels "stiff" with a slight vibration for the first 5 miles or so, especially going on the freeway at 60-65 (yes I have been easy on the car for the most part). Also, when first starting, the car hesitates to shift from 1st to 2nd. This shifting problem mellows out after the first shift. Even so, given that it is a new car, I took it back to the dealer thinking it may be a transmission problem. Of course, they could not duplicate my concern. After reading this, I'm concerned there may be a driveline issue somewhere. However, I'm wondering if mine could be tires since the vibration completely goes away once it is driven about 5 miles or so. Any suggestions?? I have had the car up to about 85 on freeway with no vibration at those speeds once the car "warms up.":ugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can live with what my car is doing so long as it does not get any worse and I can be assured there is nothing majorly wrong with it. I also hate the Hyundai has possibly screwed up part of what is an otherwise great vehicle.

·
Premium Member
14,814 Posts
We have a few shops up here that can do that. However the instant they see an Aluminum or CF drive shaft in there, they'll void the warranty. (Yes this is on the project horizon though.)

I'll be contacting the shop manager today to find out what the solution is. I hope at least a TSB comes from this.
I wasn't implying to have a custom shaft made.
Just said to get the stock one rebalanced.

Again. "IT" won't void your warranty. Warranty claims will just be denied, if it causes a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
test drove a 2011 3.8 track this weekend. There was noticeable steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. You could visibly see the steering wheel shaking, but could not feel it in the rest of the car. Was the only one I tested, but will be going back to check out others. I wouldn't buy the car until they actually fixed that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Any new updates this week? I want to get all the information I can before I take mine back. I'm afraid no matter what I present or tell them, it will make no difference. Then it might get ugly. I didn't pay all this money for performance car that vibrates. I'm at 3K on miles.

Craig s.

·
Ordinary Driver
41 Posts
I just started reading but I'm glad I do not have this problem yet and the car is at almost 8000 miles. Although I do have vibration coming from shift knob when I'm pushing over 5000 rpm. I first thought the noise was coming from mid part of dash board, but after I held and squeezed the shift knob, I didn't hear a thing. Anyone having this problem as well? Its MT by the way.

·
Not really in Midtown
54 Posts
Any new updates this week? I want to get all the information I can before I take mine back. I'm afraid no matter what I present or tell them, it will make no difference. Then it might get ugly. I didn't pay all this money for performance car that vibrates. I'm at 3K on miles.

Craig s.
Azy's car is in the shop and the dealer is finally, earnestly trying to figure out how to correct the problem. They are trying some different things, but I'll let Azy elaborate if he wants to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bridgestone replaced 1 front tire on my car, then i took it and had the fronts re-force balanced. the new tire force score was 9.. the original tire cannot be changed and is still at 19. i e-mailed bridgestone and they authorized another front tire and the local dealer has it on order. Its much better since the tire change and force balance. it sucks i have spent over $200 balancing these tires. May even have to spend more since the bridgeston dealer nor the hyundai dealer here doesn't have a force balancer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Craig. I don't have priviledges to send you a private message but you may have...so send me your email address or cell number and I'll fill you in. The car is at the dealer and they are trying something that they asked me not to post on the forum. I'm glad that they are trying so hopefully we get this resolved and everyone here can benefit. Maybe you could ask your dealer to contact Homer Skelton and they can collaborate??

·
Lime Rocket Pilot
129 Posts
Just wanted to relate my experience with a similar situation.

My car drove perfect, not vibrations, not pull, nothing except some early morning slight shaking of the steering wheel until the tires got warmed up. This was all on the OE tires and wheels for the first 8000 miles.

Decided to get my car lowered on Eibach Pro-Kit springs and then get new wheels and tires.

had the Eibach springs installed and an alignment done.

Everything was perfect, smooth as always, drove perfectly straight.

Got new XXR 522 wheels in and had Falken FK 452's put on, 245/35 in the front, 275/35 in the rear....Looking good!:D

Right off the bat the car vibrated terribly from 60 to 80, so bad the steering wheel shook side to side nearly an inch.
Car also pulled drastically to the right!:mad:

Just to make sure that the increased width of the wheels, lower offsets, and wide rubber didn't affect the alignment I had another alignment done.

Was told that one of the front tires had a "radial pull" and was bad.

Took the car back to where I got the tires and they replaced one of the front ones.....vibrated and pulled worse! I mean letting go of the steering wheel would have had me in the right lane or ditch within 20 feet!:eek:
And the shaking and vibrating between 60 and 80, really bad between 65 and 70 was nearly unbelievable.
This is all after having the tires rebalanced and the TWO front tires replaced!:mad2:

They, (where I bought my tires, not Hyundai), replaced all four tires with Nitto Invo's at no additional cost.

Left the tire shop, got on the interstate and ran the car up to 85........not even a hint of vibration and the pull was completely gone!:D:D:D:D:D:D

The car drives and rides better than it did brand new!:p

Had a bad set of tires!

I never dreamed a set of tires could cause such a severe condition, especially the steering pulling so severe to one side. :dunno:..

But they will!

Just FYI for what it's worth I wouldn't be so quick to be so sure it's not the tires!:ugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lime Rocket, your experience with the OE tires sounds like what I'm having trouble with. The slight vibration is exactly what I was referring to until the tires warm up. Are you saying the tires you have now do NOT have that problem when first driving??

·
Premium Member
14,814 Posts
Another FYI, tires have a expiration date. Its something like 4~6 years though.

Not saying the OEM tires are old :p. Just some relevant info.

·
Lime Rocket Pilot
129 Posts
Lime Rocket, your experience with the OE tires sounds like what I'm having trouble with. The slight vibration is exactly what I was referring to until the tires warm up. Are you saying the tires you have now do NOT have that problem when first driving??
Actually the experience I had was when I bought brand new tires after getting new wheels.

I bought brand new Falken FK 452's and that's what happened.

My OE tires were fine but that's not to say that someone else might not have a bad set of OE tires.

I would replace ALL four tires if I were having the issue that some are on this thread before addressing the axles.

I just wanted to point out that sometimes what we think is the obvious problem isn't at all. If someone would have driven my car they would have said you need an alignment bad, and your tires are out of balance, when neither was the case.

I'm not implying that some on this thread do not have legitimate problems with their axles but if they can't seem to find a problem with the axles then try replacing the tires, not merely balancing them.

All of the Falkens on my car were computer balanced so they were not out of balance.
But the radials in them, or some of them were bad.

Discount Tire, GREAT Company, replaced all four with Nitto Invo's which is a better tire and didn't charge me any extra. They replace one suspect tire the first time and when that didn't fix it they didn't hesitate to recommend a different set of tires.

With the Nitto Invo's all of the issues are completely gone and the car is a joy to drive once again!:D

So far I haven't noticed the tires having to warm up in the morning either.

81 - 100 of 227 Posts