Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
DIY Noob o__o...
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After browsing around in the forums and reading multiple DIY's over and over again. I thought It is time I try wrapping my car for a fun little project! I ordered 200 square feet of matte black vinyl from Auto Vinyl solutions and fedex dropped it off today after waiting a week! :D

[/IMG]

I tried wrapping the hood by myself but then It ended up as an epic fail :(! Tomorrow I'll get my buddies to help me out so I don't mess up again haha.

:gc-noob:

·
I reject to reality
1,117 Posts
good luck with the project! in for pics!

·
PM me for deals
1,930 Posts
Oh boy. Good luck fella. Did my gti, and it was a goddamn nightmare. Realize that it will take a long time. So don't rush. TAKE YOUR TIME or you will end up hating it and redoing it.
I forget what it's called but there is this tape out that cuts now specifically made for laying down under vinyl to get clean cuts. I'd do some searching and find some. A guy made a thread on here about it. I know thats vague but if I find it I'll link it.

·
PM me for deals
1,930 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good luck I just did my roof.... What a mess lol knife less tape is amazing though

·
DIY Noob o__o...
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the support guys. So far I did the hood but then at the end of the wrap, I freaking made a little dent on the vinyl :(. Hard to notice but my OCD is kicking in everytime I go near my car D:!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Watch a few youtube vids before tackling a project like this. 2 person job. Do the top half first then the bottom half.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
718 Posts
I did the top of my car with vinyl definitely helps having a helper. I had to go solo...

Sent from my SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.com App

·
DIY Noob o__o...
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updates from today's wrap. I started the removal of my front bumper and since it was raining today, I had to wrap it inside my kitchen haha. I got my buddy to help me out since the bumper is very flimsy and curvy. Being so into detail it took us 4 1/2 hours!! After all that I still ended up with little knicks and very little bubbles that keeps popping out by the right headlight area. Oh well. Overall I'm very happy that we were able to pull it off since tried our very best to be professionally done as possible. :)

trimmed! :D

tada!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good job. Thats a complex piece to do. Update us on how it looks when you put your greasy hands on it and how well it holds up and whether you'll be using any chemicals on it.

·
DIY Noob o__o...
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good job. Thats a complex piece to do. Update us on how it looks when you put your greasy hands on it and how well it holds up and whether you'll be using any chemicals on it.
UPDATE:

Cleaning the car is actually very very easy. I come back from my usual morning Starbucks run and I see grease and water marks on my vinyl from the rain and my hands lol. All I did was get my bottle of water and spray it on the car to soak and then my wash mitt with ONLY WATER and started to wipe everything down. Then I got my microfiber towel and dried it up and it looks brand new again. Like any black car (especially matte) It will always be a second job maintaining it.

I also inished the last remaining fender and got my headlights finished by Dan today! But bad news came along as I ran out of vinyl!! Who know I would go through that much vinyl so quickly.. and It's only the front of the car! Another 200sqft ordered.. sigh..! This is starting to get very expensive, but then it really is my fault for messing up multiple times and scrapping two large pieces of vinyl haha. I'll post up pictures when I finish the roof and maybe the doors?

·
PM me for deals
1,930 Posts
Congrats on how much you've gotten done so far! It's quite the undertaking isn't it? So much more time consuming than I thought too for my last car that I did.

·
DIY Noob o__o...
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on how much you've gotten done so far! It's quite the undertaking isn't it? So much more time consuming than I thought too for my last car that I did.
Hey Sam long time no PM's haha! Yeah it really is time consuming but learning how to properly do this entire process is very fun! The pressure is on right now since I ran out of viny and It comes Thursday. I have to get this done before Sunday otherwise I would look very stupid at my first car meet... lmao :p

·
Headlight God
790 Posts
I think you should post pics of those awesome lights you have now...LOL

Dan

·
DIY Noob o__o...
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
indeed!

UPDATE: Finished the whole front! I also took care of the mirrors today and sadly I had to cheat using plastidip. The wrapping wouldn't have been a one shot so I had no choice but to use plastidip. It made my life so much easier though haha. Tonight is the Roof and Thursday is the start of the doors and sideskirts. Friday is the trunk and Saturday is the rear bumper.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts