Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'll be in San Antonio soon for about a week of training and I wanted to poll the crowd and get some opinions on whether or not I should get any work down on my new 2011 v6 track while there.

I live in south MS and I'm not 100% sure but I don't think there's a large user base of GC's much less knowledgeable (actually performed the work) technicians to recommend/advise/install engine/exhaust mods.

My GC is 100% stock and I really want to pick up some acceleration gains, some throw you back in your seatness...any little bit counts right? I think I might want to get one of these flashes I read so much about since I will be close to shops that can perform this task. I also really like the sound of some of the modded exhaust systems I've seen/watched on here....some are really awesome sounding.

So any opinions on where I should start and who I might go talk to while in SA?

-Ray

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
When will you be there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sunday - Thursday (maybe Friday).

I am definitely driving my new ride...just hope that track package does not kill my back/butt on the ~600mile trip!

Anyone think I should get some kind of seat cushion for the extended trip?

I'm sort of excited about taking her on a trip, I hope she comes back better than when she arrived!

·
Registered
526 Posts
you gonna be stationed at lackland? before the road trip i recommend painter's tape the whole front end to prevent any rock chips. especially for a long drive. as far as mods get with wild bill he is the man to hook you up. need help installing then lmk and i can do it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you gonna be stationed at lackland? before the road trip i recommend painter's tape the whole front end to prevent any rock chips. especially for a long drive. as far as mods get with wild bill he is the man to hook you up. need help installing then lmk and i can do it.
Not stationed, just a TDY for some tech training in downtown San Antonio.

great idea about the painters tape, that's a must! Might just take you up on that install offer ;)

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
It's all about the River Walk man! I miss San Antonio soo much, all around great fun and a really nice night life from all the time I spent there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's all about the River Walk man! I miss San Antonio soo much, all around great fun and a really nice night life from all the time I spent there.
That's what I hear! I'm staying right on Losoya St so from what I can tell it's almost all in walking distance.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Yeah, post what you were thinking on mods. The reason I asked on the time frame is I would be in San Antonio for corp. training for my new job next week starting late Monday through Friday and then the following week most likely as well. Minor bolt on stuff I could bring tools and do just about anywhere there is a flat surface or parking lot. Other stuff more complex I got a place in Houston that you could swing through and get stuff done (they have done everything on mine so they know what they are doing) and keep on trucking to San Antonio if you preferred going that route.

As for comfort on long drives, I had no issues when I drove to the Tail of the Dragon in March of last year. Just got to remind yourself to adjust your position every once in the while so something doesn't fall asleep or cramp up. Other then that, though, it was easy cruising for me. Plus, I didn't tape my front end and didn't have any problems save for one small chip on the hood which was easily fixed with my paint correction pen to where I can't see it anymore, so take from that what you will.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What mods? Ha, I'm not really sure! I'm so new to this I just want to make sure I maximize my time in Texas since it will be a long time before I get out that far again.

I'm looking to spend a couple of grand and want to keep my car mostly stock (no new hoods/trunks, pulley's, bumpers etc..). Maybe a ECU flash, intake and exhaust?? I'd like to get the parts that are most popular and work quite well. I'm sure a guy like you can point me in the right direction.

I don't really understand the performance tuning and what it means real word. Honestly I wish there were better stickies in these forums for the rookies to read instead of being told to search...what do I search for that I don't know exists!? There's some real good info on here, it's just all over the place.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
What mods? Ha, I'm not really sure! I'm so new to this I just want to make sure I maximize my time in Texas since it will be a long time before I get out that far again.

I'm looking to spend a couple of grand and want to keep my car mostly stock (no new hoods/trunks, pulley's, bumpers etc..). Maybe a ECU flash, intake and exhaust?? I'd like to get the parts that are most popular and work quite well. I'm sure a guy like you can point me in the right direction.

I don't really understand the performance tuning and what it means real word. Honestly I wish there were better stickies in these forums for the rookies to read instead of being told to search...what do I search for that I don't know exists!? There's some real good info on here, it's just all over the place.
ECU Flash requires the tuner to come to you or you to send your ECU unit to them. What it does is to adjust various variable to maximize throttle response, air to fuel ratios, and other various components by taking the stalk program and editing it before rewriting back to the ECU like when you flash the BIOS of a computer.

As for bolt-ons, you can't go wrong with the basics. By that I mean cold air intake (CAI) and an exhaust. Other things could include better wheels and tires, Port and Polish the manifolds, etc.

It all depends on a few things:

1) What Coupe do you have? Engine, tranny, trim?
2) How much do you want to spend?
3) What are you looking to get out of it?
4) Are you planning to race the car at all or just cruise with it?

Things like that will help to recommend parts to you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ECU Flash requires the tuner to come to you or you to send your ECU unit to them. What it does is to adjust various variable to maximize throttle response, air to fuel ratios, and other various components by taking the stalk program and editing it before rewriting back to the ECU like when you flash the BIOS of a computer.

As for bolt-ons, you can't go wrong with the basics. By that I mean cold air intake (CAI) and an exhaust. Other things could include better wheels and tires, Port and Polish the manifolds, etc.

It all depends on a few things:

1) What Coupe do you have? Engine, tranny, trim?
2) How much do you want to spend?
3) What are you looking to get out of it?
4) Are you planning to race the car at all or just cruise with it?

Things like that will help to recommend parts to you.
Great info, thanks for the response!

1) 2011 v6 track package, automatic
2) I want to spend no more than $3,000
3) I want better acceleration, top end is just fine so is handling and stopping
4) This is mostly my daily driver as I switch between it and my F250 to go back and forth to work which is around 25miles round trip.

I really like my rims/tires so I want to keep those. From what I can tell I have the option to buy new headers and everything back to the exhaust tip aftermarket or from the cat converter back...I wouldn't know what to chose.

·
Registered
526 Posts
well i work at a shop here in SA so anytime after 5 ill be down to do the install. but sundays were closed, Have Bill point you in the right direction and enjoy the car :)

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Great info, thanks for the response!

1) 2011 v6 track package, automatic
2) I want to spend no more than $3,000
3) I want better acceleration, top end is just fine so is handling and stopping
4) This is mostly my daily driver as I switch between it and my F250 to go back and forth to work which is around 25miles round trip.

I really like my rims/tires so I want to keep those. From what I can tell I have the option to buy new headers and everything back to the exhaust tip aftermarket or from the cat converter back...I wouldn't know what to chose.
Your best bet based on what you mentioned:

1) AEM CAI - $300
2) Port and Polish Intake Surge Tank and Manifold - $300 + Disassemble, shipping and reassembly - Anticipate $600-$750
3) Magnaflow Exhaust - $900ish
4) Phenolic spacer - $75
5) SFR Canned Tune - $400 to $500 (closer to $500 with shipping)
6) Viz Racing Bumper Garnish - $300 (need these to open up air flow to CAI. They come in CF, but can be painted if preferred)

So that far in, you are at between $2250 and $3000 pending on labor rates. I wouldn't go headers route as they are still working things out between the different brands to minimize drone and other issues that seem to be popping up. Plus, headers are only really useful if you do them in conjunction with a custom tune to maximize their output.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sunday - Thursday (maybe Friday).

I am definitely driving my new ride...just hope that track package does not kill my back/butt on the ~600mile trip!

Anyone think I should get some kind of seat cushion for the extended trip?

I'm sort of excited about taking her on a trip, I hope she comes back better than when she arrived!
Ive done two trips to Vegas in the Rspec from San Antonio which is over 1200 miles straight driving. 600 miles will be cake and its just fun to drive the car.:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your best bet based on what you mentioned:

1) AEM CAI - $300
2) Port and Polish Intake Surge Tank and Manifold - $300 + Disassemble, shipping and reassembly - Anticipate $600-$750
3) Magnaflow Exhaust - $900ish
4) Phenolic spacer - $75
5) SFR Canned Tune - $400 to $500 (closer to $500 with shipping)
6) Viz Racing Bumper Garnish - $300 (need these to open up air flow to CAI. They come in CF, but can be painted if preferred)

So that far in, you are at between $2250 and $3000 pending on labor rates. I wouldn't go headers route as they are still working things out between the different brands to minimize drone and other issues that seem to be popping up. Plus, headers are only really useful if you do them in conjunction with a custom tune to maximize their output.
Another great reply, thanks again!

Do you think I can get all this done during my visit? I guess more importantly, should I? I ask because if I have any issues I'm so far from San Antonio that I could not come back for repairs. Speaking of repairs what is your experience with dealerships and these type of tweaks?

That's seems like a good start, is there a rough calculation of the horsepower/torque gains?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts