Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Want to get rid of the ugly XM antenna?

7K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  acadian 
#1 ·
I have a product idea - may not be a high enough volume thing, but here goes. I hate XM radio. Mine worked the first day I picked up my car, but not since. I have had two conversations with XM and wrote to them once. Last time was they said the radio must be bad and for me to tell my dealer. I took it in for its first oil change and they couldn't get it to work. They called XM and bottom line is that another radio is on the way to replace mine. I don't drive enough long distance miles to make the cost worth it and I HATE the friggin' antenna! If someone came up with a metal or plastic plate shaped to fill the XM antenna recess, and painted in the car colors, I think several (lots?) people who don't want XM would pay for a plate to replace that ugly antenna.

I sent the above to one of the forum sponsor vendors as a product suggestion. He suggested I post it here for feedback. If there's enough interest, he, or some company, might develop it. Please post your feedback.

#2 ·
Is the FM/AM antenna included in the shark fin as well? Most likely the nav antenna will be too. Just saying, companies need to think about this kind of stuff before products go to market.

Someone may hate the XM, but love their navigation.. unless they're given an option to also route the other antenna to another location, they just have to live with the shark fin.

#3 ·
I don't know about Hyundai, but other car manufacturers also include the cell phone antenna in that "shark fin" area. So, when your cell phone connects via Bluetooth to the car's system, it uses that roof antenna instead. And for those with the Nav option, I'm guessing the antenna is located there too.

I think that's a great product idea you have. However, I'm just not sure if removing the fin is going to be practical, assuming the Bluetooth and Nav functions utilize it also.

#7 ·
I don't know about Hyundai, but other car manufacturers also include the cell phone antenna in that "shark fin" area. So, when your cell phone connects via Bluetooth to the car's system, it uses that roof antenna instead. And for those with the Nav option, I'm guessing the antenna is located there too.

That is a fallacy. Bluetooth is for transferring data, not for "boosting" a celluar signal. If that were true, companies would be selling untethered cellular reception boosters.

The XM antenna is a separate line for the radio antenna, but I believe they are on the same harness.
http://www.GenCoupe.com/interior/18313-stock-head-units-avn-pics.html

#4 ·
FM is on the back window I believe..not entirely sure it's piss black out right now, so wouldn't be able to tell even if I went to check.

The 'shark fin' is only XM I believe.

#8 ·
This thread has diagrams showing that the shark antenna is for XM and NAV GPS, NOT for regular AM/FM radio:
http://www.gencoupe.com/interior/18313-stock-head-units-avn-pics.html
Let me ask the question again, with the knowledge that the "ugly" shark antenna is for XM and GPS: How many people without factory NAV would be interested in losing the shark antenna?
Thanks for taking time to post (and, please post only IF you are interested in getting rid of the shark fin antenna).

#10 ·
What does "baller" mean, Corey? And, did you respect my request to reply ONLY if you would like to get rid of the shark antenna?

#12 ·
I also love my sharkfin..
(feedback..)

#14 ·
#16 ·
Thanks, Quartermaster, you reply is the one I asked for - that is, who wants to get rid of the shark fin antenna. Lots of "information", and smart ass comments, but one reply that I asked for. So, there are two of us so far. I would be money there are many others who have not seen this thread and many others who are not on this forum.
My new radio arrived at the dealer, so I'll have it installed and get my free three months of XM - finally! It worked the day I picked up the car, and never since.

#17 ·
I am strongly considering dropping my headliner and removing the shark fin antenna this week, so yes, put me down for someone who is interested in getting rid of it :)

I considered grabbing a Ford style antenna and getting it painted just to be rid of the fin while keeping XM capabilities, but since XM isn't willing to budge on cost I don't see myself getting their service in the future.

If I get this done this week I'll post up pics and description as to how it can be done and what you'll need to close up the hole.

#18 ·
Thanks dogstar, please post DIY pics. I'm going to wait and see if someone comes up with a flat plate painted in our car colors. Probably needs a gasket, but I can DIY that.

#19 ·
I would love to get rid of the shark fin. I think it's dumb to keep it if your not going to use it...and even more silly to keep it just for that "BMW look". :rolleyes: And of course, there's the group that doesn't really care either way, or afraid to remove it because...hey, if its not broke why fix it? :)

I'm trying to see if there is a way I can convert the antenna into a GPS antenna...perhaps re-wire it. If thats not an option, then I'd definitely be interested in sort of a gasket plate. Either color of the car, glossy black, even chrome.

#23 ·
I'd definitely be interested in sort of a gasket plate. Either color of the car, glossy black, even chrome.
Oh god, that'd look awful! Just a random black/chrome square/triangle/circle floating around for no apparent reason in the middle of your roof?!

#21 ·
I think it looks cool, but that's me

#22 ·
Cano, thanks for NOT complying with my reasonable request: "Thanks for taking time to post (and, please post only IF you are interested in getting rid of the shark fin antenna)."

#25 ·
Why so negative, satheian? There is no product yet, so why do you think it would be a random square, triangle or circle? It would be the shape of the base of the sharkfin. Also, what do you mean by "floating"? I imagine it would attach with a bolt on its bottom just like the sharkfin attaches. It should be flush with the roof, so would be difficult to see. It's not my product. I'm just trying to determine possible demand so that maybe one of this forum's sponsors might be interested in making it.

#26 ·
Something small, tasteful, with a camera built into it with a small display built into a rear view mirror for those of us with dark tint so we can see something backing up at night would be perfect. Oh, it should be priced under 200.00 bucks.........Canadian.

#28 ·
Hmmm...so what if I mount one of our pocket projectors in it and you could pull up at night, take a screen out of your trunk, and show a movie, drive-in style?
:D I can be silly like you young guys.

#29 ·
^ This.

Oh, and you wouldn't necessarily need a screen, just find a smooth wall somewhere.. Drive In movies wherever you are. ^_^

(p.s. I saw this once on Pimp My Ride or some other such show. lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.