Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WANTED: OEM Driveshaft For V6 M/T So We Can Build Custom Hotness!

Hello everyone.

We have been wanting to convert to a single-piece driveshaft for Project Hoondy, but we have been really turned off by the sky-high prices for the after-market driveshafts available from Driveshaft Shop. $1000 for a simple aluminum driveshaft is completely ridiculous.

We were talking about this issue with our buddy Andy and he turned us on to a little shop in Michigan called Shaftmasters (LoL).

Funny name aside, these guys do top-quality work that is every bit as good as Driveshaft Shop. They are a much smaller, more efficient operation so they can still survive while charging lower prices. Their products are well-regarded in the racing community and they have built a cult following among enthusiasts of certain tuning platforms like the Mustang and Miata.

We have seen their products in action on Andy's ferocious V8-powered RX-7 drift car. He beats the absolute hell out of this thing and it always comes back asking for more.

Unfortunately, Project Hoondy is a daily driver and to get really accurate measurements for the driveshaft we need to take the thing apart. We're trying to avoid that scenario and so we were hoping someone has an OEM driveshaft laying around that they wouldn't mind parting with. The ultimate solution would be to ship that OEM driveshaft to Shaftmasters so they can make an unquestionably perfect after-market reproduction (we would foot the bill for shipping of course).

Shaftmasters offers various options. Not everybody needs a 1000 horsepower capable driveshaft like the one Driveshaft Shop offers. A driveshaft rated for 600 hp should be more than enough for most of us. They would love to get good OEM dimensions for the Genesis Coupe platform and they would be happy to put them into production.

This could really benefit the community overall and add another great after-market component to a tuning platform that could always use more high-quality, cost-effective parts.

Thanks for reading!

·
dontmindme. justcreepin
182 Posts
If the V6 does well, will they perhaps do something for us 2.0 folks? A lighter driveshaft would be quite nice and the prices on their website is incredible for the ones they currently offer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the V6 does well, will they perhaps do something for us 2.0 folks? A lighter driveshaft would be quite nice and the prices on their website is incredible for the ones they currently offer.
Hell, the V6 driveshaft doesn't need to do well for them to produce one for the 2.0T. All they need are accurate measurements to get started. I've spoken to them briefly and they sound hungry to go after a new platform like the Genesis Coupe.

Also, while the drastically reduced weight is great, it's really the single-piece construction that is the biggest reason to do this mod. Getting rid of that center bearing and one of the rubber couplers vastly reduces 'slop' in the drivetrain which makes the power feel much more immediate and responsive. Durability and serviceability is also greatly improved.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
Strange, the only sure fire way to measure for fit on a single piece shaft for the genesis is to remove the stock two-piece. If you duplicate the aggregate length of the two piece it will be longer than a single shaft due to the kink apexing at the center bearing. Sure there's a little room for slop, but since neither end has a splined slip yoke and (I'm assuming) the guibos are to be eliminated, the measurements do need to be pretty close to perfect.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Strange, the only sure fire way to measure for fit on a single piece shaft for the genesis is to remove the stock two-piece.
Yea, I expected as much. We just flat-out need to acquire a spare V6 MT driveshaft if we want to do this because disassembling the car to do measurements has been ruled a firm no-go. I'll edit my first post to reflect that.

Also, I know you have a hard-on for carbon fiber driveshafts and, sadly, Shaftmasters don't do CF. I misunderstood that detail when initially talking to Andy about it. I've looked into other options and by far the best one has to be QA1.

Most companies who make after-market carbon fiber driveshafts do so by simply buying pre-fabricated carbon tubes, cutting them down to length, and then bonding on a slip-yoke and flange-yoke at either end.

That's some pretty weak sh*t and is not a great way to go about it.

QA1 does things totally differently. They do all their filament winding in-house. They've worked with 3M to develop their own special resin. They have a propriatary 11-step bonding procedure for sticking on the metal bits. These guys are as serious as it gets

When developing a custom driveshaft, QA1 takes more detailed information than anyone else in the industry. In addition to all the relevant dimensions, they want to know things like engine displacement, torque, max RPM, transmission gear ratios, final drive ratio, and even the freaking rear tire size!

They want to know all that stuff because they are capable of doing really subtle things like altering the pattern of the weave in the carbon fiber to better suit the application. This cuts down on harmonic resonance and just results in a flat-out better product.

QA1 is also ideal because they have two different base designs rather than just one. They do a mega-beefy 2000hp/1500ft-lb core which is cool, but the hot ticket for our application is their 750hp/500ft-lb core. I believe that would be perfect for your ultimate goal of a big-bore naturally aspirated GenCoupe beast. It also makes for a more cost-effective option. Despite all the mega-high-tech goodness, QA1 driveshafts based around the 750/500 core sell for around $1000-$1100, which is substantially less expensive than the CF driveshaft available from Driveshaft Shop.

My brother is leaning towards an aluminum driveshaft from Shaftmasters, mostly because he has a buddy who owned a low-quality CF driveshaft that failed on him once upon a time. However, if you helped me acquire a V6 MT OEM driveshaft then we could "accidentally" send it to QA1 instead. Were that to happen, he would go for it and be happier in the long run. He loves having quality parts on the car, and everything we've installed on it so far (Cusco, AEM, Whiteline, ACT) has been absolutely top-shelf stuff. I know for sure if we got the ball rolling with QA1 he would come around.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
But the stock shaft will be too long. I don't understand how sending them one would help. Of course I'm more than willing to help you out, BTW. Am I missing something? Would there be a slip-spline in between the driveshaft proper and the forward CV? By necessity, a two piece shaft with a kink in it will be longer than a replacement 1 piece shaft for the same application. If QA1 takes measurements from a stock shaft then the end product would/could be too long. What they need are the dimensions of a stock chassis. They'll also need the deflection angle of both the transmission and differential flanges.

Also important, the parts difference between QA1 and DSS might be where this large price discrepancy originates. You'll notice that when a Constant Velocity joint is included in the assembly, the pricing on the QA1 products tends to jump. DSS includes a CV joint in their designs. Now this is in no way an endorsement of DSS over QA1, I much prefer QA1's precision and reputation.

As far as design preferences go, I'm on Carbon because it packs more strength in a smaller package. I desire the reduced diameter to better tuck my large diameter single path exhaust. The recommended aluminum driveshaft size for what I want to do is just too big and requires a blank slate redesign of my exhaust. I also prefer CV joints to universals even though they're heavier, sap more power from the drivetrain, and more costly. They provide smoother/more linear power delivery and that predictability is what I prefer. Out of phase u-joint pairs have a accel/decel cycle that I'd rather avoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts