Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem: 1. When driving above 55 mph, steering wheel begins to shake.
2. When applying the brakes, steering wheel shakes.
3. When braking at low speeds, rotors feel warped (uneven braking)

Tried: I went and got the rotors turned and rebalanced my wheels. The steering wheel shake has drastically decreased, but I was told I should replace the rotors as they cannot be turned again. The steering wheel still slightly shakes and I'm starting to notice uneven braking at low speeds again. I'm also hearing brake squeal even though the brake pads are only 10-15k miles old.

Question: Why did my rotors warp? Do I need drilled rotors to prevent future warping? (I do not track the car, just daily drive in hot Louisiana weather.) What rotors should I get? (drilled or not drilled). I've asked KHARtunerz and they said StopTech. I'd rather not spend money on drilled rotors if they will not help avoid this problem again. And should I get new pads if I get new rotors? I used search but there's so much information, I hope to get a more concise answer to my specific issue. Please help!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've had good luck with R1 Concepts drilled and slotted. No track, just fairly aggressive driving in general. Had the R1C on my 2013 RSpec 2.0T for 20,000 miles, after the front stock Brembos warped at about 30,000 miles. Then I traded the 2013 RSpec for a 2054 base 3.8 WO Brembos. FWIW, the R1C on my 2015 base feel every bit as good as the same set up on my Brembos.

R1 Concepts does offer plain, as well as the drilled and/or slotted. Prices are pretty good, so worth a look IMHO.

ominousone

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Thank you. My main concern is on rotor replacement as of now since the wheel shake isn't as prevalent after the rebalance.
I had the exact same problem.

replacing the hubs (hubs and bearings are 1 unit) and it's the thing that made a significant change in shaking.
I still had some shaking, but I believe it was the tires being out of round.

I over inflated the tires to about 37 psi and haven't had an issue with it shaking yet. I rarely go over 50 mph because 95% I'm in the city.

Also, I replaced the rotors a week after replacing the hubs... because mine is over 10 years old.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had good luck with R1 Concepts drilled and slotted. No track, just fairly aggressive driving in general. Had the R1C on my 2013 RSpec 2.0T for 20,000 miles, after the front stock Brembos warped at about 30,000 miles. Then I traded the 2013 RSpec for a 2054 base 3.8 WO Brembos. FWIW, the R1C on my 2015 base feel every bit as good as the same set up on my Brembos.

R1 Concepts does offer plain, as well as the drilled and/or slotted. Prices are pretty good, so worth a look IMHO.

ominousone
The price is great for the R1’s. Geomet not eline right?
My only concern with R1’s is KHARtunerz told me they didn’t sell R1 because they didn’t approve of the quality. I don’t need great breaking power, I just need a long lasting product that is the same or better than stock.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I put about 15k miles on the gold eline on my 2013 RSpec (Brembos), with standard R1 pads. Both were the drilled and slutted, with no issues. I've had the black eline with standard pads for about 3k mile on my 2015 base GC. I've done a few 100 mph hard slow downs with no fade or issues. I picked the eline because they are available in 3 colors, while the Geomet only come in the silver, and are a couple bucks more. I'm not gonna do track days or autocross, but I do drive fairly aggressive most of the time.

It looks like R1 has a 10% off sale this weekend.

ominousone

·
Dropping Knowledge
138 Posts
The price is great for the R1’s. Geomet not eline right?
My only concern with R1’s is KHARtunerz told me they didn’t sell R1 because they didn’t approve of the quality. I don’t need great breaking power, I just need a long lasting product that is the same or better than stock.
Then why not get stock? I mean Nick at KHAR sells a lot of brakes. Lots of experience with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts