Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently decided to do a DIY brake pad change from factory brakes to EBC Yellowstuff pads. I have the Brembo calipers. A few weeks after I installed them, under light braking the front end of the car gets a pulsating sensation thats pretty loud. I'm pretty sure it's a warped rotor, but it wasn't like that before I put on the new pads. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I need new rotors now, but I want to know if I really screwed up. Can I use my pads that I used for a few weeks or if I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get new pads again. Also is there some way during the installation that I could have made this happen?

·
Registered
412 Posts
No. You can’t, by installation alone, warp a rotor. Only excessive heat, outside the spec of the rotor, or an unevenly applied heat source can cause that.

Did you check runout on the rotor before the installation? It always a good idea, that way they can be turned/replaced to work with the new pads. Can you feel it in the pedal? If not, it’s probably not a rotor, but perhaps an issue with the installation of the pads. Did you lube the pins? Are the pads sliding freely on the calipers? If a pad is cocked and not engaging the rotor properly, you might hear it, as well as it will reduce braking effectiveness.

·
Premium Member
15,180 Posts
Did you put anti seize on the pad to caliper contact surfaces? Basically the ears of the pads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I just replaced the EBC pads with the (stock?) Bosch pads that I got with the car that had NO lubrication on them. When I spun the wheel with my hand while it was on the jack, I could hear it make contact and it would stop pretty quickly after I took my hand off, but when I drove the car and got up to ~40mph and lightly braked, I heard nothing. When I used to drive past things close to my car with the EBCs on, I could hear a light scratching, but putting these back on, it was gone. I was baffled, so I looked at the pad thickness, and my new EBC ones are much thicker and seem to be contacting the rotor surface even when the brakes aren't applied. This really sucks as I just sunk ~$300 into these brakes. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,180 Posts
Oops, didn't read that they're brembos.

did you bed in the pads?

If you're talking about brake squeak, that's normal until they are bedded in properly.

spinning the wheel by hand, light brake contact is normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help AKGC.

I did bed the pads (braking several times from 45-5).

The brakes DID squeak but that was another issue. Every time I would lightly press brakes at 30mph+ they seemed to make this rhythmic pulsing sound from the front driver's side. When I rolled down the window and slowly drove by a wall without applying the brakes, there was a rhythmic rubbing sound I could hear.

Putting the Bosch pads I had before seemed to remedy both the light braking issue and the no braking issue. Though, they still do squeak when coming to a complete stop (it's not the squealer).

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,572 Posts
Did the pads fit loose enough to just drop in? It should take no force to install the pads. I had to grind off some of the length on my EBC yellows. What particular EBC part number pads did you get?

·
Premium Member
15,180 Posts
I know on the redstuff pads, they say to drive like normal for 1000 miles and then bed the pads.
not sure if it's the same on the yellowstuff pads.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The BlueStuffs were the same but the interval was 200 miles prior to a proper bed-in.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If there was a mistake to be made it would have been one of these two or both:

1. Did you correctly orient the slide pins, or did you reverse them.
2. Inadequate greasing of the slide pins. That could effectuate a pinch on one side of your caliper, causing excess conact, increased heat and the like. This is exacerabated if you used non metalic pads with more BITE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did the pads fit loose enough to just drop in? It should take no force to install the pads. I had to grind off some of the length on my EBC yellows. What particular EBC part number pads did you get?
The front ones did, but the back ones required some shaving to fit in (1-2mm too wide to fit into the caliper).
DP42147R & DP41140R

The rotors do seem warped, but the effect is lessened with the original brake pads that were on the car since they were less thick.
I can't post a video yet, but when I can I will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If there was a mistake to be made it would have been one of these two or both:

1. Did you correctly orient the slide pins, or did you reverse them.
2. Inadequate greasing of the slide pins. That could effectuate a pinch on one side of your caliper, causing excess conact, increased heat and the like. This is exacerabated if you used non metalic pads with more BITE.
I definitely oriented them right (small part facing OUT), but I'm not sure if I greased them correctly. Care to enlighten me? :)

·
Premium Member
15,180 Posts
I definitely oriented them right (small part facing OUT), but I'm not sure if I greased them correctly. Care to enlighten me? :)
silicone grease or anti seize on where the pads ride on the pins.

don't have to pull the pins all the way out, just tap is out enough to where you can put a tiny bit on where the pins contact the pads, when the pins are fully installed.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,572 Posts
The EBC yellows come with a special coating to help break in. No extra work is needed. And the Brembo pins really don't need greased like the other style of pins with boots. The spring plate on the top of the pads needs to be installed right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts