Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have doing DE events for a few years now and the dealer is giving more and more a hard time each time i take my car in saying things like "looks like you push this car hard" or "what tracks do you take this too" seemingly getting me to admit to tracking the car however the warranty does not specifically state that tracking the car voids the warranty but using the car in a competition does void the warranty which I am not competing. Anyway, I am getting tired of the dealer getting on me and if something expensive does go wrong with the car I am worried they will not cover it.........So, now to my question (sorry for the long intro), with there being a Genesis Couple Track edition will Hyundai cover the car if say you blow the transmission on the track at a DE event? I do not have access to an owners manual but would also like to hear about other experiences. My wife has finally expressed that she would like to start doing DE events too (yes I am a VERY lucky man, lol) so if we could get a manufacture to warranty the vehicles even if we do DE events here and there we would buy two new cars in a heartbeat. I appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have doing DE events for a few years now and the dealer is giving more and more a hard time each time i take my car in saying things like "looks like you push this car hard" or "what tracks do you take this too" seemingly getting me to admit to tracking the car however the warranty does not specifically state that tracking the car voids the warranty but using the car in a competition does void the warranty which I am not competing. Anyway, I am getting tired of the dealer getting on me and if something expensive does go wrong with the car I am worried they will not cover it.........So, now to my question (sorry for the long intro), with there being a Genesis Couple Track edition will Hyundai cover the car if say you blow the transmission on the track at a DE event? I do not have access to an owners manual but would also like to hear about other experiences. My wife has finally expressed that she would like to start doing DE events too (yes I am a VERY lucky man, lol) so if we could get a manufacture to warranty the vehicles even if we do DE events here and there we would buy two new cars in a heartbeat. I appreciate all your help!
The "track " edition will have the same warranty.

If you do blow transmission at an event have someone tow it to your home. Then have Hyundai come get it.

Just tell them you started it up and threw it reverse made a lot of noise and wouldn't go anywhere

At least this is what I think. Someone with more knowledge is bound to answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the computers they have these days they can tell almost everything you have done with a car....they can tell me with my current car my top speed, how many times I went above 90mph, etc. If Hyundai wouldn't cover the car for DE events the "Track Edition" is terribly misleading!

·
Registered
720 Posts
With the computers they have these days they can tell almost everything you have done with a car....they can tell me with my current car my top speed, how many times I went above 90mph, etc. If Hyundai wouldn't cover the car for DE events the "Track Edition" is terribly misleading!
They replaced a transmission for me I've spent several miles over 90. Drifted it multiple times. So if they can tell that they don't look.

Pull the battery that will screw them up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide App

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
It states in the warranty paperwork.the car is covered from manufacturer defect under regular to harsh conditions as defined by the service interval section of your owners manual. It goes on to state that damage due to heavy abuse is subject to verification and may lead to a denial of claim.

That being said I am at 115K miles in three years with several HDPE events and several drives out to and on the Tail of the Dragon and havent had to many issues and when I did it was covered.

If the dealer hints at or asks if you track you dont have to answer them. Deny it and say you just like to enjoy your car to the fullest. I find it hard to believe on a general glance or inspection they could tell unless you have been going off track a lot. If your current dealer is giving you trouble consider looking around for another. I also recommend finding a local mechanic/shop that also works.on track cars if you can to do thebmore routine stuff. Usually cheaper anyway and more focused on what you want from the car.

As for "mislabeling the track edition" I think your stretching it a bit. There are other cars with race or track inspired names that dont get covered if you mess up on track. Just because they name it sporty doesnt mean they are going to adjust the warranty parameters. Its called marketing to get those that want a "fast, cool" car but then just daily drive it to work and back everyday. Additionally, I am not aware of any car manufacturer that covers what you are asking to cover by default.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with Wild Bill.. Find another dealer. Unlike Nissan that has really screwed over GT-R owners for tracking their cars Hyundai has been standing behind their cars. My dealer is really good and they know I track my car as well as two others that come in. They have been top notch for me...

·
xFa
446 Posts
this is good to know, i want to start tracking mine..=)

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
If you're in an event and have to register, then it's classified as a competition.
We're talking like a season circuit or something, not a Sunday thing that you do with some buddies.

If you're paying $50 to go do some hot laps on a closed road course or doing some drag pulls at the strip for sh*ts and giggles on a Friday night, that's not.

Drifting seems to be the main one that Hyundai puts their foot down on when it comes to warranty and "abuse" despite them showing a 100% stock coupe drifting and hot lapping as a commercial.

Hyundai cannot deny a claim just because you took your car somewhere. That being said, it has to be a legitimate claim as well, falsifying a claim is illegal and yes it does harm people, it harms the community when legitimate claims get disputed because people get ok with committing fraud. If you're at an event and constantly smacking the redline over the whole road course and your engine pops, that's not warranty. If you misshift and you over speed and pop your block, that's not warranty. If you're coming out of the hole at 60 mph and all of a sudden your transmission won't go into any gear and won't stop grinding, that probably is warranty unless you're sh*t with a clutch.

It's more important that you understand the risks and costs with using your car for events than it is whether Hyundai will warranty your boo boo's or not. Not trying to be a dick. It's also on Hyundai to prove that it wasn't their fault, not for you to prove that it wasn't yours, dealerships constantly forget that and they like to act like it's their call when it isn't. Warranty is between you and Hyundai Motors, not you and "dealership".

·
Registered
166 Posts
Warranty is between you and Hyundai Motors, not you and "dealership".
Absolutely, but if your dealership is a road block and acts restrictive this makes your efforts that much harder. If you have a good dealership and a good relationship with them it makes things a lot easier.

I also agree 100% with regards to false warranty and the BS they cause. I don't expect Hyundai to cover my engine blowing because I have the ECU flashed and I am revving it past 7,000 rpm every chance I get like an idiot. Some reasonable level of responsibility is warranted and if you can't cover the cost of really screwing up your car on the track then the best choice is to not track it.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
There is a number on Hyundai's website that you can use to contact them directly regarding warranty claims, you don't have to put up with BS from the dealership. They might make you wait until a DSM is in the area but if you dislike your local dealerships service department that much, you'll wait.

·
Wannabe Track Junky
883 Posts
I keep reading threads like this and I am legitimately surprised. The dealers shouldn't care whether your car is covered under warranty or not. In fact, if anything- they would WANT damage to be covered under warranty because Hyundai pays them to fix things for you! It's not like the dealership has to pay for a brand new transmission.

For example, I took my car in to a local dealer and said "transmission is grinding, especially in 5th gear". The service manager took me out for a short ride and said "yep, grinds in 5th. I wish it would grind in other gears more though, because then I could definitely make sure you get a new transmission". Either way, he said he has to talk to Hyundai, and THEY (Hyundai) decides whether I get a new transmission or not. A few days later I started having an issue where sometimes the transmission just decides not to go into 6th gear. I told the service manager that and he was like "oh, really? Ok, well you should definitely get a new transmission now". And now, I've got an appointment next week for a new trans.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Some service advisors and managers like to think they have more power than what they really do. They're glorified receptionists (sorry Bruce). Some are awesome and take customer service to the extreme and really do want to help you enjoy your car, some try to be dinks just because they know they can annoy people.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Some service advisors and managers like to think they have more power than what they really do. They're glorified receptionists (sorry Bruce).
^^^ This, the guy is enjoying busting your chops. Go to another dealer, that's BS

Also, what exactly is he referring to as evidence … tire wear?

Driving your car on track doesn’t inherently damage a thing that isn’t already a wear item. Abusive and heavy handed use of controls can mess up a drivetrain whether you’re getting groceries or on a race track.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,984 Posts
The above two points are spot on. I previously bought a couple of cars and had another one serviced at a Nissan / Pontiac dealership because their service department was top notch. I remember telling the salesman, "I am here looking to purchase a car because of your service department". That is also the key profit center for a dealership, I believe. I have no complaints with my Hyundai dealership so far. The Honda dealership across the street gave my wife the "dumb blond" treatment. That led to a "spirited conversation" between the service manager and myself. I have not been back since except for a warranty item, I believe and a part that had to be properly matched to the vehicle. There are lots of competent independent shops out there.

·
Registered
844 Posts
How long does the car hold data? If you pull the battery will it all be lost?

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
242 Posts

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
do yourself a favor and read the Magnusson Moss Warranty act ...

You do have to register for an HPDE (High Performance Driver Education) it is not considered a competition.

You might also want to consider "track insurance" as most typical auto insurance policies exclude private/closed road surfaces used for racing.

hpde insurance, race track insurance, de insurance, track driving school insurance, on track insurance - ontrackinsurance.com
+1000000000000000000

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts