Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, did this adjusting the wastegate....http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t-discussion-2008-2012/15445-howto-wastegate-actuator-arm-adjustment.html
Well I did 3 turns and check engine light came on... Code P2261, Turbo Valve stuck...so assuming this is the wastegate...popped the good and noticed the C Clip fell off, so guessing I should turn it back down to 2 turns and put a new clip on it..., anyone else have this issue that's done this? Whenever the light came on, it was like the turbo didn't kick on at all!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sounds like you didnt get the c-clip snapped in all the way and it fell out. Turning the WGA 3 turns is not ideal but it should not give you a CEL. It happened to me when I replaced my turbo, luckily I had a spare clip and just snapped it back on.

If the clip comes off and the arm pops off of the wastegate flapper then it will not build any boost because the air coming from the turbo is forcing it open. The wastegate actuator keeps pressure on that flapper and that is how you build boost.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it didn't pop off, just noticed it missing when I looked...I turned it back so now it's at 2 turns...I have SFR Tune so I don't get why 3 would throw a light either...my research said this Halle s to turn it back down some so that's what I did and reset computer, I'm bout to make a good drive right now so ill see if it comes back on and if it does, down some more for the trip home...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you are on a tune I would turn it back to stock or as close as you can get it. I have read where people have issues with it turned at all once they run a tune. I had mine turned while running a CMD and the boost would be all over the place and the car just acted strange. :dunno:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well so far this trip 50 miles and light hasn't come back on...was hoping doing this would get rid of the stutter it had when going 3rd to 4th gear...if your not on it, it really stutters like its missing or you had bad gas

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last I was told for that issue was to replace the waste gate with an aftermarket one which we haven't done...

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
it doesn't matter how many times it was turned.
What matters is what the peak psi is, and how quickly it gets to peak psi.

Was anything done with the solenoids?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesn't matter how many times it was turned.
What matters is what the peak psi is, and how quickly it gets to peak psi.

Was anything done with the solenoids?
Not that I know of...it seems to be fine now so well see...hoping it keeps that flutter away. Last time I put a boost gauge on it, it pulled 18psi peak

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
The P2261 code refers to the stock BPV, meaning its leaking, or the vacuum lines going to it are not right (possibly fell off) When i turned mine too much I found out that it was throwing a CEL, hitting boost spike or either not boosting, running lean(er) and not hitting boost smoothly at all.

Once i turned it back down somewhat to 1.5 turns it feels much better, and the CEL is gone, but then again i did replace my stock BPV, which had a tear in it. So I'm assuming your might be running the stock BPV, if so check it, and replace it with an new BOV or another OEM BPV.

And turn that thing back down if your on a tune, the ECU has already been messed with to get the best out of it with keeping it as reliable as it can be, it doesn't need to be turned thats just going to make it cranky.

I'd suggest checking your BOV/BPV for leaks, as well as your main vacuum lines. If those are good, turn the thing back down and just leave it!

Quick question, where are you pulling your Boost Gauge Vacuum source from, as well as the vacuum source for your BPV/BOV

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a boost gauge. After my wife drove it to work this morning she said its running better than before. So far still no light so think I'm good now

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
adjusting anything without a boost gauge is stupid.
at least a boost gauge. Still would be a lot nicer and you could see a lot more with afr and maybe oil temp or pressure so people can stop punching their cars when its not fully warmed up yet.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The ECU wont let you punch it until its warm, at least on the stock tune. I am not sure if that feature is in a reflash or not.

at least a boost gauge. Still would be a lot nicer and you could see a lot more with afr and maybe oil temp or pressure so people can stop punching their cars when its not fully warmed up yet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ECU wont let you punch it until its warm, at least on the stock tune. I am not sure if that feature is in a reflash or not.
Yeah it doesn't feel like it goes much when it's cold

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
adjusting anything without a boost gauge is stupid.
I agree man...100% I put one in, and not even 5 minutes later she pissed me off and I ripped it out and threw it across the street... I had it tucked in the little space by the shifter next to the cig lighter...only way she'll allow me to put one is a specific one and then I need to make a pod for it above the radio...

I've already preached about the importance of having one especially being tuned now so we can monitor boost pressure to see if there's problems or anything

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree man...100% I put one in, and not even 5 minutes later she pissed me off and I ripped it out and threw it across the street... I had it tucked in the little space by the shifter next to the cig lighter...only way she'll allow me to put one is a specific one and then I need to make a pod for it above the radio...

I've already preached about the importance of having one especially being tuned now so we can monitor boost pressure to see if there's problems or anything

You know what you have to do, don't you.... she needs her own car she can put potpourri and unicorns in.

I also have to live with a wife that drives MY car and has opinions on everything i do to MY car. :) the difference , i think, is i always consult (and educate/convince) her before i commit to anything. After all a happy wife makes for a "satisfied" husband.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know what you have to do, don't you.... she needs her own car she can put potpourri and unicorns in.

I also have to live with a wife that drives MY car and has opinions on everything i do to MY car. :) the difference , i think, is i always consult (and educate/convince) her before i commit to anything. After all a happy wife makes for a "satisfied" husband.
haha that's true... but it's her car. I wrecked her other one and we put $14K down on a new tuscon, and she wanted to trade it in a yr later for the genesis so we did. She drives it every day, I mainly toy with it on the weekends. I'm a truck guy and love my slammed 4 door. She knows what she want's on it and I know what I want on it lol so far plan is to carbon wrap the hood, roof in carbon white, car is white, tail lights are white, wheels are white, interior RGB under dash led's, interior led dome, led reverse, HID headlights with switchback led's, custom billet shifter cap made by my company (which we sell) red stitch shifter boot, and soon were gonna paint the headlights white, differently than all the ones for sale.. def will be one of a kind... It's been tuned, air intake, res delete all that... exhaust soon, side skirts and chin spoiler, carbon diffuser, and hopefully bags, all by this time next year

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Well if she doesn't really care about the problem, and she won't let you put on the proper "tools" to possibly solve the problem, especially with a tune, then to hell with it IMO.

Check the BPV/BOV and the vacuum lines like I said, if it still does it then it might be time for her to learn a lesson and how to fix the car by herself.

Turn the waste gate back down to where it should be, and let her go on with her driving, or have a boost-line where you had the gauge, any gauge will work, even the crapy Autozone ones, which is what I ran for quote some time, and when you work on the car put the gauge on, when she gets in block off the vacuum line (cap it) and go with it. There's no reason for you to have to buy a 100 dollar a-pillar for 1 gauge...that's kinda ridiculous.

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
^i can't edit post on my phone so sorry for the double post

Didn't mean to sound like a douche. When I read it that's how I felt I came across. Didn't mean to kinda call out your wife if i did...my bad bud!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^i can't edit post on my phone so sorry for the double post

Didn't mean to sound like a douche. When I read it that's how I felt I came across. Didn't mean to kinda call out your wife if i did...my bad bud!

It's all good. To clear it up, she did care about it and wanted it running right, it's fixed. I turned it down one turn and running better than before

1 - 20 of 25 Posts