Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Genesis 2.0T , just rebuilt the turbo not long ago. My wastegate flap moves freely with actuator off, when cold. No resistance at all. As soon as the car warms up , the wastegate ‘flap’ seizes up and barely moves at all. Causing overboost , or it not to build boost at all depending on where it got stuck at.
Any ideas ? Originally thought it was the actuator itself but replaced with the ATP actuator. Stock actuator works fine as wel.
Have used PB blaster , liquid wrench ,carb cleaner and wire brush. Still seizing when hot.

Anyone have a cheap BK1 turbo laying around ? Shipped to 25901 😂

·
Premium Member
15,999 Posts
I wouldn't have used oil based lube on it. When it burns off some of it usually turns into carbon.

WD40 makes a "dry" lube you can try. I think I got a can at homedepot.

But what I would do, is see how seized it is when it's hot. basically when it happens, remove the WGA and then somehow use a tool to see if it can be moved by hand.
If you are able to move it by hand, move it open and closed repeatedly until it wears itself to freely move.

If it's carbon buildup then get some chemtool spray, puts some in when cold and work it in there. Let it sit for a few hours and move the flap back and forth when cold, to try to work the carbon out.

But its more likely the boost solenoid getting stuck when hot. These solenoids are known to fail.

I have a spare turbine housing, but it's going to be a PITA to unbolt it from the manifold and don't think you want to pay for shipping from Alaska.
IF I can get it off the manifold, I can probably get it to fit in a flatrate box, which would make shipping cost reasonable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't have used oil based lube on it. When it burns off some of it usually turns into carbon.

WD40 makes a "dry" lube you can try. I think I got a can at homedepot.

But what I would do, is see how seized it is when it's hot. basically when it happens, remove the WGA and then somehow use a tool to see if it can be moved by hand.
If you are able to move it by hand, move it open and closed repeatedly until it wears itself to freely move.

If it's carbon buildup then get some chemtool spray, puts some in when cold and work it in there. Let it sit for a few hours and move the flap back and forth when cold, to try to work the carbon out.

But its more likely the boost solenoid getting stuck when hot. These solenoids are known to fail.

I have a spare turbine housing, but it's going to be a PITA to unbolt it from the manifold and don't think you want to pay for shipping from Alaska.
IF I can get it off the manifold, I can probably get it to fit in a flatrate box, which would make shipping cost reasonable.
Would like to try to swap my turbo and stuff over as it has all just been rebuilt with billet internals.
Both my solenoids are already bypassed. ATP actuator , Manual boost controller. HKS bov setup .

I have disconnected the actuator while hot and the wastegate arm/flap is very stiff to move but only when hot, if it moves at all.

Have used the chem tool spray , no luck still. Moves without any resistance cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts