Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I'll just go ahead and apologize is this isn't an adequate section for this post - but then again, I wasn't really sure if it's considered an interior or exterior issue. If the thread needs to be moved, give'r.

Ok, on with the point...

An hour or so ago I went for a drive over to the local Home Hardware to pick up some Plasti-Dip for this weekend. When I went to put it in the trunk of my car I noticed there was water everywhere. I have the Hyundai cargo tray in my trunk so it was all puddled in different spots from me driving around.

Being a little concerned and very curious I decided to take everything out of my trunk down to the spare tire (while I was in the parking lot) - and to my surprise there was about 1 inch of water sitting in the spare tire area. Not a good sign...

I guess important to note, its been raining constantly since early this morning and my car has not been driven since yestarday afternoon - so its been parked in the rain (other than the 5min drive to HH). I do park outside my apartment on a main street so there is constant traffic sturring up road mist.

But I cant seem to wrap my head around the issue:
1) I have the cargo tray and there was water puddled ON it which would lead me to believe the water is coming from above and dripping onto it some how; but,
2) If I have a cargo tray - and anyone who has one should know - it fits fairly snug in the trunk around the boards so how would the water have gotten under it onto the carpet (which is extremely wet on the passenger side of the trunk) and fill that much water into the spare tire compartment.

Has anyone had this issue:dunno: - or know what I can try and do to remedy the issue? Are there any run-off channels (like in the roof of the car) that might be blocked?

I'll take it to Hyundai IF I have too - but they can't get my car on a hoist so they'll prob not even do anything about it.

Sorry for the length of this post, but hopefully someone can help - because I've been racking my brains and can't wrap my head around whats causing it.

Yes I've :gc-google: 'ed the ish out of it and have been on HSM for the past 45min trying to figure it out.

Stephen

·
Meet Organizer
1,399 Posts
I had this issue last month. After 2 days of hard rain, tails were condensed and water inside trunk + spare tire well. Turned out that the black foam which separates the tails from their cutouts in the body, and which is used to prevent water infiltration into the trunk, had failed for whatever reason. I took it to the dealer who said that it wasn't covered under warranty (water intrusion is only 1yr/12k), but that HMA agreed to do a "goodwill replacement." Took them 3 days to fix it, and now all is well. The dealer ended up giving me 2 new tails.

·
GenSport KY
868 Posts
I had this issue last month. After 2 days of hard rain, tails were condensed and water inside trunk + spare tire well. Turned out that the black foam which separates the tails from their cutouts in the body, and which is used to prevent water infiltration into the trunk, had failed for whatever reason. I took it to the dealer who said that it wasn't covered under warranty (water intrusion is only 1yr/12k), but that HMA agreed to do a "goodwill replacement." Took them 3 days to fix it, and now all is well. The dealer ended up giving me 2 new tails.

Wow, really? I just had a water leak in my trunk area. No questions asked it was fixed... well two weeks later. Was a trunk seal, and tail light grommets. Was all covered, shady dealers suck

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just fixed my condensation issue (although there is probably more in there). My passenger side tail was a fishbowl (no lie). I took the bulbs out of the tails and put two fans in the trunk to wick away the water. It did a fairly good job, but noticed there's still more.

Wow, really? I just had a water leak in my trunk area. No questions asked it was fixed... well two weeks later. Was a trunk seal, and tail light grommets. Was all covered, shady dealers suck
I had water in my trunk. Dealer said it was becasue the seal on the wing was bad.
Sounds pretty shitty guys... It's still raining here in southern Ontario so I'm sure there's more water in there even though I mopped it up.

I'll have to take it to the dealer when I move back to Toronto on Sunday. Do you think I should print off this thread and bring it in with me? - in case they give me the "we couldn't find an issue".

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ive never looked, but does the Genesis have rubber grommets/holes in the spare tire well? If it does and one is missing or loose, water could very easily splash up inside. Had a similar issues with a Honda before and thats what it was.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
i bet its the foam around the lights......i have seen these fail on cars time and time again

·
Registered
355 Posts
i discovered the same thing today, opened up my trunk and saw some water in the corner... lifted the cover to expose my amps (spare tire removed so i got room for the amps) and HOLY sihiht my amps are sitting ontop of a lake of water! two rolls of paper towels to soak it up and I couldn't see any signs of water leaking into the trunk from the top half of the trunk.

Goes into the deal next tuesday so they can figure out what the problem is but we obviously have grounds for a class action lawsuit if they don't fix it.

They did replace a tail light that broke on the inside too, so maybe the tailights are the issue.

I'll update after the dealer next tuesday.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i discovered the same thing today, opened up my trunk and saw some water in the corner... lifted the cover to expose my amps (spare tire removed so i got room for the amps) and HOLY sihiht my amps are sitting ontop of a lake of water! two rolls of paper towels to soak it up and I couldn't see any signs of water leaking into the trunk from the top half of the trunk.

Goes into the deal next tuesday so they can figure out what the problem is but we obviously have grounds for a class action lawsuit if they don't fix it.

They did replace a tail light that broke on the inside too, so maybe the tailights are the issue.

I'll update after the dealer next tuesday.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went outside today (in the rain) to check it out in the daylight. Lets just say I'm pretty pissed... Car will be going into Hyundai as soon as they open on Monday when I'm back in Toronto.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures but I took them with my iPhone.

Passenger side - you can see the water level about 1" deep maybe 2" in the corner drop

Passenger side - condensation

Passenger side - condensation and water level

Passenger side - pointing to where the water line is

Drivers side - condensation (hard to see)

Drivers side - water line (not as much - but still there)

Condensation

Trunk carpet... destroyed. Fiber board is all warped and glue is separated in different areas

Crappy picture - small puddles in the spare tire compartment and thats after I wiped it all up last night.

·
GenSport KY
868 Posts
I ran for a few weeks with out the rubber grommet in the spare tire area because every day I had a small pond in the trunk, my window was fogged all the time from the evaporation...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran for a few weeks with out the rubber grommet in the spare tire area because every day I had a small pond in the trunk, my window was fogged all the time from the evaporation...
I had that tonight when I was driving to campus...

·
GenSport KY
868 Posts

I used these pics to show them the leak was not fixed. :) this was on a warm day after work/rain

·
Registered
175 Posts
Same thing happened to me, cept my rear window was leaking, back seat carpet was soaked wet. Condensation was horrible.

These leaking problem sucks..

Good luck bro.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could not be more pissed right now... It just keeps getting worse.:mad:

I never sit in the back seat so I didn't notice, but my headliner on the driverside from the sunroof back is completely water stained! :eek: I've never driven with it open during a rain and it would be on both sides in that case. UGH... I am so tired of finding s*** wrong with this car!

Any ideas what this issue could be from? I'll try and snag a picture when its brighter outside.

·
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
6,450 Posts
Seems like you have a leak that's coming from a bad seal in your sunroof. Take your ride back to
the dealership and have them fix/replace everything.

Respectfully,

Tom

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think we should start a sticky thread with everyone that has had water problems so if this continues we have the documentation to start a class action lawsuit.

Now my 4 channel amp is hissing really bad and I'm pretty sure sitting in a lake of water in my trunk did it!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

·
No, It's not a Tiburon.
412 Posts
Bump. Just had this happen to me. Spare tire well has puddles. Trunk carpet soaked. Rear seat and rear floor mats/carpet soaked. Closest dealer to me is 2 1/2 hrs away and is closed on the weekends. FML.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
I had this happen and it was the drivers side tail lamp letting water in to the trunk. The lens to body foam seal was not complete and dirt eventually built up. Then right where the water channel is for the trunk the water filled the trunk and taillight.

·
No, It's not a Tiburon.
412 Posts
thats what mine looks like. damn it. well, time to air it out and buy some new tails that I can properly seal myself. Just hope my car doesnt get moldy. Anyone know if Mike Holmes does cars too?

1 - 20 of 130 Posts