Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts

you are most likely familiar with the spot in my picture (below). What I noticed during a hose down, that panel joint (circled), started to leak water which was following the panel contour and dripping in the exact the same spot (your picture). During your time in the trunk (sounds weird), have you noticed the same?

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
120 Posts
I honestly can't remember. It's been a while since I was last exiled to the trunk. ;)

Also, I'm having a little trouble orienting myself with respect to your pic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I honestly can't remember. It's been a while since I was last exiled to the trunk. ;)

Also, I'm having a little trouble orienting myself with respect to your pic.
It's almost the same spot you have in your picture, just a little different angle and orientation. Here, I rotated your pic...looks familiar?

FPGRgsK.jpg

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
120 Posts
correct, that area. Just use some play doh or even better, get a duct seal from lowes or HD for $3...(heavy duty play doh) and jam it well into that corner you circled, under the window trim. If the leak will stop, you will know where/what the problem is.

BTW, the crack in my seam sealer looks very similar to what you got. I guess Hyundai used crappy seam sealer or the body is flexing so much due to crappy welds
I have to try this. After the last few days of rain, I checked that cavity this morning and found about 1.5 inches of water in it. Wasted a bunch of paper towels to sop it all up. Aggravating. Other than that, this is a fine car with 125k miles on it.

It will need a new timing chain and tensioners sooner or later (have the timing chain rattle on start up), needs new rear brake pads and a brake fluid change, and a new 5th gear synchronizer. Otherwise, it might use a half quart of oil in 5000 miles... which I'd say ain't bad for a 10 year old 125k mile car... on it's 3rd or 4th owner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to try this. After the last few days of rain, I checked that cavity this morning and found about 1.5 inches of water in it. Wasted a bunch of paper towels to sop it all up. Aggravating. Other than that, this is a fine car with 125k miles on it.

It will need a new timing chain and tensioners sooner or later (have the timing chain rattle on start up), needs new rear brake pads and a brake fluid change, and a new 5th gear synchronizer. Otherwise, it might use a half quart of oil in 5000 miles... which I'd say ain't bad for a 10 year old 125k mile car... on it's 3rd or 4th owner.

well, we had some heavy rains and I still get oz of water or so in there. Not sure if the play dough crap doesn't seal well due to cold temps or the issue is somewhere else. I'm going to remove rear shelf and see if any other pinch seam on the way to that spot gets water.

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
120 Posts
well, we had some heavy rains and I still get oz of water or so in there. Not sure if the play dough crap doesn't seal well due to cold temps or the issue is somewhere else. I'm going to remove rear shelf and see if any other pinch seam on the way to that spot gets water.
I took another look at that seam that was sealed and painted... and lifted up the weather stripping as much as I could. They ran that sealant up under there too. So I didn't see any benefit to trying the play dough solution there.

I'll be interested what you find.

·
Registered
18 Posts

s-l1600-14.jpg

considering the watering area and looking at the cross section of trunk seems, the only possible area that lets water would be under the window gasket and into the holes where rear shelf goes. I noticed you removed the rear window before. Have they stripped the old gasket all the way down to metal or just glued the window to what was left of it (in your old picture somewhere)?

I don't think the window needs to come off to track the leak it but the rear shelf will. I have some UV coolant leak dye....waiting for some warmer weather....

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
120 Posts
View attachment 75135

considering the watering area and looking at the cross section of trunk seems, the only possible area that lets water would be under the window gasket and into the holes where rear shelf goes. I noticed you removed the rear window before. Have they stripped the old gasket all the way down to metal or just glued the window to what was left of it (in your old picture somewhere)?

I don't think the window needs to come off to track the leak it but the rear shelf will. I have some UV coolant leak dye....waiting for some warmer weather....
That is a good question and I do not know the answer. Wish I could have been there when they pulled the rear glass. Might be worth having it pulled again and replacing the gasket. I know they replaced the reveal, but I don't think they replaced anything else. They just said they didn't see anything that looked to be problematic.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts