Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
If someone is looking to buy one they should wait until after a heavy down pour, then have the salesperson open the trunk...the look on their face would be priceless.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,266 Posts
The tail light is easy to take out. It is held in place by 4 nuts. Then disconnect the electrical connector and pull straight out.

If it is the tail light where the water is coming in there will be dirt built up behind it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I got the wife a 2014 FIAT 500L. I drive my 1972 Olds Cutlass now. I'm putting my energy and time into a project I left sitting for the past 7yrs. Until the new Gen coupe comes out. My wife has had the Fiat for almost 2 months now and she said she wants the Genesis back lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I've got a 72 Cutlass as well. Got any pictures?? Small world!

I can't see anything made or incorporated with dodge being any better than the Hyundai.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just found a leak like Obyone's. Right behind the drivers seat. Unfortunately it's between 10-20 degrees outside and the pool behind my seat is frozen over. I'll be taking her into the dealership this week and I'll post what they say. According to you guys it should be the welds. Lets see what the come up with.

5 minutes later:
Just checked the trunk and found an inch of ice under the spare.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have washed my GC by hand with a hose. Have been thru the car wash. Have use a high pressure hose and been thru a few Texas deluges (the kind that you will not be surprised if all of a sudden you see an old man followed by animals walking in pairs). To date, no leaks anywhere. Sorry about your situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've washed my car the same but it's showing up now after 2 years of owning her. This winter has been pretty extreme though. I noticed it for the first time 2 months ago but I dont remember what the weather was like. This past time it got warm and everything melted for 3 days and I probably drove through a bunch of puddles and I definitely hit a couple pot holes. Not enough to dent a rim but probably enough to break some scrappy welds if they existed. And the flooding was pretty extreme here too. I've had to drive slowly through standing water but only an inch or two at most and definitely no so much as to get through the highly sprayed undercarriage we are all familiar with. Car is going in this morning, wish me luck.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
716 Posts
47,600 miles and 2.5 years of ownership. No leaks and I've been through some pretty heavy rain!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got a call from the dealership. They said there was two leaks, one in in the window seal by the A pillar and one in the passenger side tail light. They say the 2 inches of water under the spare tire came in from a bad seal around the tail light? Not very probable but they are replacing my tail light anyways. So I won't complain. Hopefully it doesn't happen again but if it does that's two things they don't have to check. All in all a good day

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did any one get this repaired under warranty?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes mine was all considered warranty work. A couple of window seals and a tail light-all warranty. Though the dealership near me brags about having the best customer satisfaction in the state so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. It's been a couple weeks now and the water still hasn't completely evaporated so I'm wondering if it's still leaking.

·
Premium Member
14,814 Posts
Wow this thread is still going?

Do this if it hasn't been raining and for some reason the floor is wet.

Anyways, things that you can check is the AC drain hose under the car.

There is a loose hose under the car, in the transmission tunnel that just hangs there. Poke it with like a long narrow screwdriver, just to check for some reason that it's clogged.

Reason why it being clogged could lead to wet floors, is because whenever you have the windshield defrost going, it turns on the AC, even with the heat on. It does this, so the AC evaporator can collect the humidity and drain it out before the air hits the heater.

Besides that, the other spots I would have the shop take a look at it, unless you like taking apart your car.

there are 2 drain hoses under where the cover for the wiper arm areas are, on either side. If you look under the dash (I mean, really under) you will see a hose coming from the wiper area, to the area right behind the rear of the front fenders. the seal on either end of these hoses could have been not seated properly. IMO the hoses are freakin tiny, and could be clogged. My datsun has the same setup (as with almost all cars) but with hoses 5x bigger.

The other area is on the passenger side of the same area, the cabin air inlet. Some people have found their's improperly sealed, where it needs to be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So the dealer replaced the taillights, there is a TSB out for this, Replaced my headlights because of the micro fractures, and are ordering another part to finally fix the water leak under the dash in the passenger front foot well.

I told them about the creaking in the passenger side rear quarter panel (supposedly a bad weld as others have reported) and they are looking into it.

Fixing the issue when it will "thump" once the windows reach the bottom on the door when you do auto down.

The last thing is the AC turns itself on and off they wont do anything about it unless they see it happening. I think its related to the water leak issue. Although they did replace the AC blower motor because it died last year...

I guess its a good thing they have 10yr 100k mile warranty because at this rate I'll probably need it for the whole duration..

·
Premium Member
14,814 Posts
AC is one whenever the air if directed at the windshield (explained why above)

Heater and AC use the same blower motor.

Cracks on the headlights/taillights are from it at some point being exposed to a harsh solvent.
The plastic it's made out of is close to what polycarbonate is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
AC is one whenever the air if directed at the windshield (explained why above)

Heater and AC use the same blower motor.

Cracks on the headlights/taillights are from it at some point being exposed to a harsh solvent.
The plastic it's made out of is close to what polycarbonate is.
No harsh solvent on my headlights. I've seen it on many other 2010 gen coupes as well. Its a design/material flaw that the dealer is aware of as they have replace others under warranty already.

The water leak for me is supposedly due to the material that's under the cowl by the windshield where the fresh air intake is, well that's what they told me it is. They did not mention clogged drain lines. But it is the dealer so you know take it with a grain of salt. =p

I'm just glad its all fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
No harsh solvent on my headlights. I've seen it on many other 2010 gen coupes as well. Its a design/material flaw that the dealer is aware of as they have replace others under warranty already.

The water leak for me is supposedly due to the material that's under the cowl by the windshield where the fresh air intake is, well that's what they told me it is. They did not mention clogged drain lines. But it is the dealer so you know take it with a grain of salt. =p

I'm just glad its all fixed under warranty.
Please get a copy of the repair order for the part under the dash to fix the water leak. If you could post it up that would be great! Sounds like you have a decent dealer. :/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Please get a copy of the repair order for the part under the dash to fix the water leak. If you could post it up that would be great! Sounds like you have a decent dealer. :/
The thing is that they had fixed it already!

The first time they gave me a little bit of trouble, but this is the third time in the past year that I've been back for warranty work.

They could not replicate the front water leak again. They asked if i parked on an incline and i said yea a slight one and they said that's one reason. It cant handle that amount of water and it overflows into the fresh air intake. It leaks in heavy rain while driving on the highway too so i don't buy it. So what i just have to live with a water leak and possible rust?

·
GT30Rspec
1,364 Posts
^^^I agree with you.. the water in my car from day one is not coming in from the fresh air intake. I have seen the water trail under the carpet behind the passenger kick panel area (corner) I am just too lazy to fix it.. Major PITA! now I just put a small towel on the floor in the area it collects when it rains.. and have no passenger floor mat installed :(

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mine is leaking onto the front left side of the passenger footwell right before where the floor starts going up. It seems like it is running down the transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
fixing these leaks

I'm new to this forum but I figured I can help since I refuse to take it to the dealership who charges a ton to fix nothing.

Trunk and passenger foot well leak -
I found many and probably wont find them if your not looking. The tail light gasket is the easy one but will cost the most since you will replace tail light. Hyundai keeps those in stock. The issue to due to a Vein pass in gasket that allow water to pass thru as a stream or at least on mine. Had to really look for that reason.

Also once you gut the trunk, you will find 1 seam in each fender well. I just use silicone caulking on those (Top to bottom).

Last is the hard one is the trunk itself. It leaks but the cloth cover in front does a great job of absorbing it. It's either bad trunk seal, bad spoiler gasket or bad seal on spoiler light gasket. IF you don't have a spoiler, LUCKY! SO far I've swapped out spoiler gasket. About $30 each, and sad when you see what you spent your money on. Cheap and I wish I had made my own.

The passage foot well was a pain. Lots of trial and error just to figure out that the Hyundai mechanic with photos on page 6 was right. Problem is, no real explanation.
I can explain it simple. Remove cowl and fender & buy silicone caulking. Don't remove deflector plate in front of fresh air intake vent cause you will break your windshield. Socket and wrenches are no help. Instead, get 2 flat head screwdrivers. Put the silicone on the end and smear it on these seam and opening behind seam to make a silicone wall of some sort. Head at fender and hand at cowl. You got to see what your doing. It seems like their are 3 vent to the a/c for fresh air but only 1 leaks

Sorry for the rant but I love this car but hate the BULL!

141 - 160 of 207 Posts