Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just had a huge rain storm and i went into my gen to get laptop and i seen water on the floor in the back so i put my hand down like 3in of water no joke seems to be water under the back seats too, so i check the back as well where my other tire is, and there is a huge puddle of water i checked by my tail light also seemed like water was on the sides by the wheel but no water by the tail light, no water in the front at all. hope someone can help me

·
SoFla GenCoupe
1,353 Posts
So we just had a huge rain storm and i went into my gen to get laptop and i seen water on the floor in the back so i put my hand down like 3in of water no joke seems to be water under the back seats too, so i check the back as well where my other tire is, and there is a huge puddle of water i checked by my tail light also seemed like water was on the sides by the wheel but no water by the tail light, no water in the front at all. hope someone can help me

Yeap this has happened to TWO of my friends.. Both of them got the problems resolved when the dealer changed their tail light.. The tail light is what is causing the leak so go to your local dealer and have them change it out... Along with any damaged interior pieces that may/will get moldy

·
Registered
599 Posts
It actually just the tail light seals that cause the leak. The foam gasket in between the tail light and the body isn't sealing properly its a common occurrence they shouldn't give you any issues for a warranty claim. Don't think they will replace the stuff that is wet they will just pull it out let it air dry and possible shampoo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
6,450 Posts
Check the seal on your back glass. Maybe that's leaking? Regardless, vacuum that water out and give your carpet some sunshine before mold sets in.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Mine came from the spoiler, dealer or previous owner added the Track spoiler and whoever installed it did a hack job. Tightened the screws and put a bead of clear flowable silicone around the screws and all fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. I just wanted to add the situation I have been experiencing in the hopes of any help. So, here goes..

I have a 2009 Genesis 3.8 sedan. Bought it in 2013 with 65K miles on it and no reported accidents. When purchased, I did notice that the cover that goes over the spare tire had appeared to have gotten wet somehow because it was slightly warped, seemed like it was rained on at some point. Didn't think too much of it.

Now come late 2018/early 2019, my Genesis has been blowing light bulbs in the right front headlamp, left fog light, both front side marker lights, and blinkers at times randomly. I have replaced each of these items at least once in the last year. And I see condensation in the fog lights.

In the last few months, I went searching and found water in the spare tire well and dampness on the trunk carpet on the far left side nearest to the backseat panel. A couple inches or so of water builds up underneath by the spare tire depending on the most recent weather events. And at times the carpet is dry but there'll still be water down by the spare. I live in the north east so we get snow and salt on the roads. So I did see rust around the spare tire and on the OEM tools for changing the tire. I will gladly provide any pictures if anyone is interested. Please note, the car battery is also located in the trunk of the 3.8 sedan.

At least, with the detailed help of this thread and the threads for the Genesis Coupes, I can move forward with some wisdom concerning what to look for and how to reach a solution in this matter.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I just wanted to add the situation I have been experiencing in the hopes of any help. So, here goes..

I have a 2009 Genesis 3.8 sedan. Bought it in 2013 with 65K miles on it and no reported accidents. When purchased, I did notice that the cover that goes over the spare tire had appeared to have gotten wet somehow because it was slightly warped, seemed like it was rained on at some point. Didn't think too much of it.

Now come late 2018/early 2019, my Genesis has been blowing light bulbs in the right front headlamp, left fog light, both front side marker lights, and blinkers at times randomly. I have replaced each of these items at least once in the last year. And I see condensation in the fog lights.

In the last few months, I went searching and found water in the spare tire well and dampness on the trunk carpet on the far left side nearest to the backseat panel. A couple inches or so of water builds up underneath by the spare tire depending on the most recent weather events. And at times the carpet is dry but there'll still be water down by the spare. I live in the north east so we get snow and salt on the roads. So I did see rust around the spare tire and on the OEM tools for changing the tire. I will gladly provide any pictures if anyone is interested. Please note, the car battery is also located in the trunk of the 3.8 sedan.

At least, with the detailed help of this thread and the threads for the Genesis Coupes, I can move forward with some wisdom concerning what to look for and how to reach a solution in this matter.

Thanks everyone!
Here's one solution that we have figured out. The testing has been completed and confirmed that no leaks are happening any more. I pressure washed the tail lights in the outer cracks and no leak at all.

https://youtu.be/fLvZEJPAKrw

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a wet headliner and c-pillar when it would rain. This is a common problem. The dealership cleaned out the sunroof drains and it never happened again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts