Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got in my coupe today and started it up and the turbo started LIGHTLY spooling on its own for about 5 seconds then stopped...

For the rest of the ride the turbo was spooling + blow off, BUT the car was driving like it was a POS normally asperated engine with no pick up and go....usually the car gives me a decent kick in 3rd but it just pulled like my old lancer that had 150 horses at the crank ......pretty confused........

·
Registered
331 Posts
do you have a boost gauge? did it show boost while you were driving?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No boost guage :[

·
Its a Hyundai
275 Posts

·
old guy
767 Posts
So I got in my coupe today and started it up and the turbo started LIGHTLY spooling on its own for about 5 seconds then stopped...

For the rest of the ride the turbo was spooling + blow off, BUT the car was driving like it was a POS normally asperated engine with no pick up and go....usually the car gives me a decent kick in 3rd but it just pulled like my old lancer that had 150 horses at the crank ......pretty confused........
Borrow a code reader. I bet it will show " turbocharger/supercharger fail-
mechanical" , or "overboost". Also, while driving, turn key off for a couple of seconds, then back on. This will reset the limp/no boost mode caused by the above faults. Ask me how I know! :rofl:

·
Registered
360 Posts
The car needs to be moving for the turbo to produce boost. You're not going to be producing enough airflow into the motor or exhaust at idle to do that. Sounds like a fuel or spark issue to me, either of which could cause you to go into limp mode. What mods do you have?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have about a half tank of gas on 89 octane, I have DP back exhaust + intake, It's my DD and I don't push her that hard, do 60-80 on my way to work on cruise most the time, but sometimes I enjoy kicking it into 3rd and giving it a little power, and like I said - it's spooling, but just not giving me that turbo kick and it's very upsetting.....no CEL or anything :[

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
If you hear it spooling, but feel no power, that means the boost is leaking/escaping through the bov in the intake. Moist likely opened by the ECU for whatever reason. AKA limp mode.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hrm, it sounds like it's blowing off ok, what would one do in this situation? Since there's no CEL is there anything I could do as far as dealership? They'll probably be lame about the intake...

·
301 whp
1,102 Posts
Check and make sure your intercooler hoses are connected. If you have gotten on it lately, you may have blown the hot side piping off.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hoses are fine, there's definitely a problem though, it drove so weird today. There isn't a chance it could me intake correct? That's pretty standard, connect tube to turbo, put on filter, attach hoses. I'm going to have to bring it into hyundai to check it out since I'm not getting a CEL, but I noticed all day when I start it up, instead of reving itself to 1.8-2k rpms it revs the whole way up to 2.5k rpms and screams a little, then goes back down, then makes a faint spooling sound for about 5 seconds then that dies off...REALLY weird..and driving, it's not responsive, but at times it is, like it's deciding when it wants to do its job, blow off is really loud and drawn out rather then a quick "PSHHH" like it was before, now it's like a ..."PAAAAAASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"....I know it's hard to elaborate via text, but...gahh this is sad, I just bought the car and mostly DD it back and fourth to work on cruise!

Dealership will probably say my intake caused the problem -.-

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
The intake isn't that hard to swap out, the dealership might be your best bet. But it sounds like it could be a CBV(BOV) leak, like a diaphraghm rip maybe?

·
Banned
924 Posts
The intake isn't that hard to swap out, the dealership might be your best bet. But it sounds like it could be a BOV leak, like a diaphraghm rip maybe?
A diaphram rip would cause it to overboost.
Since you have no cel, disconnect the battery and reset the ECU, see what happens could be just a glitch.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
A WGA diaphragm rip would lead to overboost*, but I don't think a CBV rip would. I don't know if the NA engine can produce enough exhaust force to overboost the turbine if the engine isn't getting any boost. Overboost is kind of a misnomer. The turbine could overspeed causing an overboost CEL, but the engine isn't getting any boost, so you wouldn't cause engine harm, just a possible shattered turbine from spinning too fast or getting too hot. :dunno: But with a ripped WGA, the WG would never open (unless exhaust pressure could open it) causing overboost to the engine. Though even that 'overboost' is measured off of compressor speed (185,000rpm IIRC) which is based off of too high of TIP/MAP. So a CBV rip could cause an overspeed, which I don't think can be measured, anda WGA rip could cause an overboost.

But the rip in a bov could cause the turbine to spool to infinity or untill it burst or overheats and you will never get a CEL, as the CEL is based off of MAP/TIP and you have no boost or a very low MAP/TIP. But again, I don't know if a NA engine could spool a turbo enough for damage to be an issue. But other than the BOV solenoid being able to 'sense' the difference, I don't think a CEL would ever happen.

But I agree with batt reset or ECU fuse pull.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I'll recet the ECU tomorrow and see where that gets me.

Whatnot, you said a lot of scary things there lol, I'm not up to parr with all the technological terms in there, but overboost...wouldn't I be feeling overboost as far as the car kicking when I push in the gas?

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
yes and no. You would feel it... until the ECU opens the CBV to vent the boost. But this would also cause a CEL, so I don't think it is an overboost or WGA issue. MY money is on the CBV tear.

You can hear a spool, but you get no boost. Make sense to me. But I guess it is possible the CBV is just opened, and you arn't getting a CEL? You will find out when you reset the ECU. If it still happens though, my money is on the BOV tear. No need to worry though, it isn't that big of a deal. I was speaking of worse case scenario, which IMO is $1000 turbo replacement or cheaper if you buy used one. Though your warranty should cover it. But I am not even sure if a CBV tear could ruin your turbo, I really don't think it could. But it is nothing to get scared of. It was more theoretical talk than reality.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Reset ECU and just took it for a drive, feels the same...this sucks! I don't feel like switching out my intake to take it to dealership lol, what can I say to them since you can't hear any blow off or spool with stock intake....

EDIT: Would an OBD2 still show an error reading if there was a problem with the car, but no CEL thrown?

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
It could, sometimes they show pending codes.

Just tell the dealer you don't feel the boost like you used to. It will cause them to scan it and look at turbo related components.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright thanks WhatNot I'll do that, today when driving I hit 5th and pushed the pedal in and got nothing, turbo spooling but no response from it, no kick, was really weird, horrible acceleration...

Also when I was driving doing like 35 I let out the gas and drifted for a minute and heard a backfire as well...

The car just sounds completely different @ idle and the exhaust doesn't sound so beastly during idle anymore either...ugh I hope it's not something REALLY BAD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts