Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished installing a gtx3076 and it has kind of a weird sound that I havent heard before in my turbo cars history. Im wondering if anyone might have an idea what it could be and if its something to worry about. I thought it was a leak in the intake but I was incorrect, I also check to see if it was vibrating on something but it is not.

Car boosts fine and its not like a metal on metal sound, I just really dont like extra noises so Im hoping someone has an idea of things to check.

**I didn't film vertical, for some reason it was converted to that...

·
Registered
257 Posts
That certainly is interesting. I take it you are referring to the almost airplane prop noise (not the normal ticking from valves and/or injectors). I have a GTX30 on a different car and I don't recognize it, but I don't think I have listened that closely. I was going to say that maybe it had to do with the solenoid controlled stock BOV, but I see you have eliminated it. I don't know. I think it could just be normal induction noise.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That certainly is interesting. I take it you are referring to the almost airplane prop noise (not the normal ticking from valves and/or injectors). I have a GTX30 on a different car and I don't recognize it, but I don't think I have listened that closely. I was going to say that maybe it had to do with the solenoid controlled stock BOV, but I see you have eliminated it. I don't know. I think it could just be normal induction noise.
Yeah, Im referring to that noise. Almost sounds like air buffeting. I havent heard it on any other turbos before. It doesnt get louder or anything from what i can tell during driving.

·
wannabe guru
1,365 Posts
it sounds like a vibration, somewhere on the filter or the shield

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
have you removed the intake and checked for damage on the compressor wheel? that does not sound good. i would inspect that turbo ASAP. also check for shaft play when you looks at the wheel.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you removed the intake and checked for damage on the compressor wheel? that does not sound good. i would inspect that turbo ASAP. also check for shaft play when you looks at the wheel.
Agreed with Lee. Take the intake off and inspect the compressor wheel. I would stay out of boost for now..
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I still haven't found the reason for it.

Took the intake off today, and there is no damage to the wheel or contact with the housing. I also checked for shaft play and it is very minimal, almost undetectable. I drove it 40 miles to work without getting into boost much and there was no change or increase in the sound.

This is a 0 mile turbo, brand new. I primed it before I started the car for the first time, and all lines are hooked up correctly.

The noise isn't audible from inside the car, and it doesn't seem to get louder from boosting (granted there is a lot of noise from exhaust, induction, etc..)

Here is a video of the car at idle w/o the intake:

Here is a video of the turbo spinning down after I shut it off:

Here is a video I took with my endoscope while the car was idling. No sound but shows a bit closer view of the wheel. (Sorry for low quality):

·
Nobody pays me in gum
568 Posts
I couldn't watch the video other than the first one, but have you verified that there isn't any contact between parts that vibrate? The 1st vid sounds like it and if it doesn't change with rpm it doesn't appear as though it would be coming from the turbo. I've had turbos fail before and in my experience they fail in much less time, when under load, than what it takes for me to drive to work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I couldn't watch the video other than the first one, but have you verified that there isn't any contact between parts that vibrate? The 1st vid sounds like it and if it doesn't change with rpm it doesn't appear as though it would be coming from the turbo. I've had turbos fail before and in my experience they fail in much less time, when under load, than what it takes for me to drive to work.
My exact thoughts too, def. sounds like a buzzing created from interference. No way it's the turbo, just double/triple check everything around there!

P.S I want a ride!!

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
How do you have the vent plumbed from the valve cover?

it sounds like the same noise you get when you idle the car with the oil cap off.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

it sounds like the same noise you get when you idle the car with the oil cap off.
or when you have a hole in the O2 housing or a massive leak in a gasket...

check the gasket on the back of the turbo.. def sounds like some air squeezing through a gap somewhere

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

or when you have a hole in the O2 housing or a massive leak in a gasket...

check the gasket on the back of the turbo.. def sounds like some air squeezing through a gap somewhere
Vacuum lines are hooked up normal to the ports on the intake.

I agree, now that I think about it it does sound very similar to that sound.

I tried checking for gasket leaks, but there are some places my hands can't reach. I'm going to use my endoscope to check the back side of the gasket between the turbo and the manifold. Maybe I will see some soot.

I probably have about 400 miles on this now so I'm thinking whatever it is, it is not catastrophic. I wouldn't have kept driving it, but I'm not seeing any indication of wear on the turbine or housing to indicate there is an immediate issue. Hopefully its just a leak like you guys are saying that I just can't reach with my hands.

I tend to over-react a bit when I hear something out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alrighty, well I found the source of the sound. AKGC was right, it was coming from a vacuum hose. It seems to just be coming from the hose itself. When I unplug the hose from the pipe by the valve cover it goes away.

I'm glad it was something as simple as this. I spent a lot of time putting everything together and I guess I was just being overly worried about it.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
aww man glad to hear it is something nice and easy to fix... nice one!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aww man glad to hear it is something nice and easy to fix... nice one!
Heh, yeah I lucked out I guess. I'm like a hypochondriac when it comes to my car. To me every noise that is unfamiliar is "cancer" lol

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Heh, yeah I lucked out I guess. I'm like a hypochondriac when it comes to my car. To me every noise that is unfamiliar is "cancer" lol
oh i hear you. the evo has a new noise everyday i drive it. sends me damn near insane! but at this point with going through so many motors im like, "if its still driving, it aint broke" hahaha

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I looked at it tonight and I learned something new. I always thought that these were just regular hoses coming into the intake, but the one for the brake booster is actually impregnated with a check valve. When I pulled everything apart I never paid attention to the orientation of the hose because I thought it was just a hose. Oh well, its always a good day if you learn something.

[URL=http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/Trogdizzle87/media/20160425_200542_zps6f1qq5vs.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
the BK1 manuals had the check valve integrated into a plastic manifold right next to the intake manifold.

2 were a passthough, the other 2 was a check valve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts